Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-05-2023, 07:23 PM   #1
dkc
Winnebago Watcher

Switch to turn auto stairs off not working

The stairs on my 2016 itasca nation will not stay in the out position when I am parked. Normally when the engine is turned off and the step button is in the off position the stairs will stay out when the door is open and closed. Now the steps retract every time the door is opened and closed no matter if the step button is in the on or off position. Recently had some electrical work done because battery disconnect switch was not working and now this has happened. How can I temporarily fix this. I am on a trip and just want to be able to prevent the stairs from retracting without messing with wiring. Any ideas? Certainly permanent fix is welcome but I do not want to mess with wiring until I get back. Thanks for your ideas in advance

Debbie
dkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 08:30 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

The steps are a pretty complex thing with lots of surprises when I have looked at them! But there is one fairly simple thing that I candepend on being true.
There is a small micro (reed?) switch at the bottom of the door and it gives the step the info on whether door is open or closed by using a small magnet mounted on the door. In other words the magnet getting close to the switch tells it closed.
One might find a way to either pull one wire off the switch or put the two wires together and one or the other would fake the system into leaving the steps extended??

Kind of shooting in the dark without really knowing how the thing works, so some playing with different combos may be needed.
I should admit that there are several other thing in the system that could be a problem but this is something I would try until getting a better chance to look at it.
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2023, 03:55 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

While you don't mention the brand or model #'s of the steps, I'll assume they are Kwikee steps. If so, they are now owned by LCI (Lippert Component Industries) and they have a great web site with helpful information such as the owner's manual and a troubleshooting guide.

I suspect, as Morich suggested, that some sort of wiring work will need to be done even if it is just a temporary fix.

Good luck and let us know how you make out. It helps others with the same or similar problem.

Tags
switch