Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-03-2021, 07:52 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Sumosprings

Own a 2021 26t that has rear airbags thinking of installing sumo-springs and was wondering if the airbags make rear sumo-springs moot any suggestions appreciated thanks
Bern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 08:52 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

What's a 26t?
Winterbagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 09:00 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bern View Post
Own a 2021 26t that has rear airbags thinking of installing sumo-springs and was wondering if the airbags make rear sumo-springs moot any suggestions appreciated thanks
What are you trying to improve with the sumosprings?
misteracng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 09:28 AM   #4
Site Team

I'm not sure that Sumo's are your solution if you already have airbags. The idea behind Sumo Springs is that they act like an airbag system. As asked above, what is it that you are trying to fix?
Old 02-04-2021, 07:18 AM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterbagoal View Post
What's a 26t?
Minnie Winnie Class c 26T
Old 02-04-2021, 07:29 AM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks for the responses further investigation shows you would not use sumosprings with airbags since they go where the air bags are installed and essentially serve the same purpose, I plan on installing in the front as it is a simple and relatively inexpensive upgrade to the factory bumpers. Looking to improve ride and sway especially on rough roads.
Old 02-04-2021, 08:13 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bern View Post
Thanks for the responses further investigation shows you would not use sumosprings with airbags since they go where the air bags are installed and essentially serve the same purpose, I plan on installing in the front as it is a simple and relatively inexpensive upgrade to the factory bumpers. Looking to improve ride and sway especially on rough roads.
Many poeple have upgraded with sumosprings but there are many opinions on what it actually does. Essentially it does give you a progressive increase to your spring rates, espeically near the end of travel, more than what the standard bumpers do. Sway however, from reading many posts seems to be related to dampening by the shocks. It you want less rocking back and forth perhaps looking into shocks would be good. If its less push maybe from large trucks or wind, maybe more spring rate in the front would help since you already have airbags in the back. If increasing you spring rates, I think you have to make sure the shock dapening is adequate as well.
misteracng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 09:11 AM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks for all the info I plan on changing the shocks next year as the are still new and changing the shocks would be a little more expensive and the sumo springs look like a quick inexpensive change that I can do in my driveway that may give some improvement in the ride. Thanks again for all the responses.
Old 02-04-2021, 05:58 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

I would check with Super Springs directly to see if they make Sumo Springs Front & Rear for your model. If they do, that may say something about having whether having Rear Air and Rear Sumo is even possible? But my dealings has shown the Sumo as a maintenance free option for those without Air Bags.

I have purchased Front and Rear Sumos for my Sunstar 29VE online a little while back. I have an appointment in a few weeks with Authorized Sumo Springs installer.

As far as what do I expect Better than what it is now to be honest with you. I have kind of got used to be bumped around, but after 10,000 miles if I can get any kind of improvement; I view the $2k investment as worthwhile.

What pushed me over is when I learned that Winnebago was considering a model that came with Sumos. I am not going to buy another Winnebago anytime soon, so this is my way of trying to modernize for more comfort.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3; Roadmaster Nighthawk 676; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; Southwire EMS 44270/34951 Display 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 04:05 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Stay with the air bags! If at some later time they tear, then consider SUMO. SUMO are a mechanical replacement for airbags.
DGundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 04:32 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Let us know how the Sumos work out on the front. I have heard some say it made the ride rougher.
Old 02-07-2021, 04:43 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigb View Post
Let us know how the Sumos work out on the front. I have heard some say it made the ride rougher.
I will find out soon, but I doubt that it would be true that it actually makes it worse? The physics is not on the side of making it rougher, but the real proof may be in the market. Search to see if you can find any used Sumo Springs for the RVs. I did and zilch, nada, nothing; so the Mfg can pretty much control the price of the new through the retailers. People buy them, put on and that is pretty much permanent for that RV as no maintenance is involved.

They also have guarantees; so if you don't like them they can be returned (30 days). I think it is a lot easier to remove them than to add.

But time will tell in our case in about 3 weeks.

I will 100% assure you that after paying $2,000 grand and IF it is worse, what is another $200 to pay to have them removed to ride better again
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3; Roadmaster Nighthawk 676; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; Southwire EMS 44270/34951 Display 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 09:27 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

I have been running Sumo front and rear on my 2008 class A 29r for the last 5000 miles.
The ride improvement is very noticeable, particularly on rough highways and pot holes. The Safe-t-plus steering stabilizer is a must have.
with both products, Sway was reduced and steering is much more stable, I plan to replace the front sway bar with a bigger one this year.
I hear adding a rear sway bar is also a big improvement.
Thinking about new shocks...
Mikeknapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 05:13 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeknapp View Post
I have been running Sumo front and rear on my 2008 class A 29r for the last 5000 miles.
The ride improvement is very noticeable, particularly on rough highways and pot holes. The Safe-t-plus steering stabilizer is a must have.
with both products, Sway was reduced and steering is much more stable, I plan to replace the front sway bar with a bigger one this year.
I hear adding a rear sway bar is also a big improvement.
Thinking about new shocks...
Have you tried the cheap handling fix first?
DryCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 05:21 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

I'm sorry, what cheap handling fix would you be referring to?
In my experience, nothing is cheap with an RV.
Old 02-08-2021, 06:01 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Ah, figured it out, move the sway bar link mount to the other hole.

No I have not, but definitely will give it a try, later this spring I have a 1500 mile loop through Washington and Oregon, that will be a good test.

Thanks all!!
Old 02-09-2021, 01:16 PM   #17
Winnie-Wise

On the new Spinter cab chassis there are rubber blocks to limit the travel of the front and rear suspension. It takes about 60 minutes to replace these 4 blocks and replace them with the SumoSprings.

All that the SumoSprings do is further restrict the amount of movement of the suspension. The Sprinter cab chassis is designed for a van and not for a motorhome and so there is more travel with the higher center of gravity of a motorhome. What I like about the SumoSprings is that there is nothing to fail, unlike having one of the airbags give up the ghost and in the middle of a trip.

There are standard and heavy duty versions of the SumoSprings and I went with the heavy duty versions at the front and rear of our 2021 Navion. We drove the Navion back from the dealer going through 600 miles of blowing snow and high winds and I was very glad to have had the modifications made as every little bit helps in those conditions.
Elkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 02:17 AM   #18
Winnebago Camper

Good information
2lgdterrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 07:00 PM   #19
Winnebago Watcher

We had similar concerns with our 26T when we first picked it up. We found out the hard way that nobody had set any pressure in the rear air shock system before they 1. drove it to the dealer or 2. sent it out to us to drive home!

It might be worth a shot to dig into the air shock system, get your rig weighed front and back and see if your pressure is set well. It was a night and day difference for us when we spent the time and energy to fine tune it.

We're still planning on getting sway bars and are not thrilled with noise and the front seat ride but gosh the back is nice now.
OzmaofOz is offline   Reply With Quote