Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-28-2020, 01:04 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Sumo Springs

I am about to have Sumo Springs installed on my 2020 View 24J. The goal is to improve side sway in windy conditions. I will be traveling throughout the Western US this summer and I know from experience that I will encounter strong winds. Before I pull the trigger does anyone with Sumo Springs experience have any advice, good or bad? Not sure of the exact model numbers but heavier in the rear. Thanks.
Dmarcian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 03:35 PM   #2
Site Team

We are not in a class C but I have Sumo's. Do you have a rear track bar?

That helped a lot with cross-winds and truck "push" for us. We started with the track bar, then added the Sumo's about a year later and have since done steering stabilizer and Koni shocks. All improved things in their own right but the track bar helped with winds the most. Maybe since we did that before the Sumo's is why we didn't see as much a change with the Sumo's.
Old 05-28-2020, 04:47 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Might want to check with marjoa here or better yet over on IRV2. He just installed a set on the front of his rig
Americanrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 04:50 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmarcian View Post
I am about to have Sumo Springs installed on my 2020 View 24J. The goal is to improve side sway in windy conditions. I will be traveling throughout the Western US this summer and I know from experience that I will encounter strong winds. Before I pull the trigger does anyone with Sumo Springs experience have any advice, good or bad? Not sure of the exact model numbers but heavier in the rear. Thanks.
I haven't seen much on anyone putting it on the 2020 Views yet. I just ordered the fox 2.5 shocks from agile offroad for my 2020 view 24D but they are backordered. And yes the winds definitely shake my view more than I thought it would here in the southwest. I've read posts on sway bars, fox shocks, and su ml o springs. Not sure which ones help the most. Not sure how a sumo spring would help in the wind but I've read posts that people swear by them. Interested in following along.
crah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 10:45 PM   #5
Winnebago Vita 24P

I have the Hilieg sway bar and also installed the sumo springs front and rear. Helped a great deal on the entering and leaving driveways and while on the road, Hit really bad winds couple of weeks ago in Nevada and Wyoming. Though the Vita 24p performed OK, It was still white knuckle time. The anti skid light turned on. I suspect new shocks would be the final touch to make the rig better.
Old 06-03-2020, 04:39 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Sumo shocks

I have a Vista 27N and have put Sump shocks on both the front and rear. They made a noticeable improvement in ride, handling and even noise reductions from road expansion joints etc.. Very glad I added them to the suspension.
Nmdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 06:12 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Save your money

I'm not home and my advice is read a post from Brain J. Terwillerger

This guy wrote up and outstanding detailed explanation. I've also have done a few of his mods that he has wrote up.

Here's my take, I have a 20J bought in Dec from Lichtsinn and had them install sumo's. A lot on labor. Was blown off the road by trucks
Sumos didn't help. Ordered the Fox Shocks and Blisteen struts recommended by Agile. Was great for leaving gas stations and such not so much for trucks. Would recommend them I had to find a company that worked on heavy duty trucks to install them.

So I bought a new heavy duty sway bar from Etrailer.com who doesn't charge to install. Just note they they took off tail pipe said it was only 2" in the way so took it to the place that did the shocks and the fixed a bracket no problem 200 bucks and all is great. The Hellwig doesn't need the tail pipe off but I went with the Roadmaster 1.5" solid steel and I have no trucks blowing me out of my lane. Can even drive with one hand and wife will now drive it. Just a figure of speach was never really blown completely off but u know what I mean especially if a truck sneaks up on u and u didn't see him like wow. Don't have that feeling at all now.

I kept my old springs and had then put back on for the Fox shocks get impeded recommended by Agile. Still have the Sumos and if you want them I'll sell them 50% off just let me know. Won't get home until the 10th or 11th in Myrtle Beach.

If this is your first RV you need to talk to me
For I'm thinking of writing a book on the View.
I probably could save you a lot of headaches.
Love my view just a lot of growing pains.

Winnebago Dan 20J
DKDaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 06:25 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Sumos and Agile Fox shocks will get the best results for the least money. Less rock & roll at driveways, better handling & less oversteer, less buffeting behind 18 wheelers and somewhat better handling during high winds. But no, they will not stop the 'white knuckle' events in heavy gusts. Too much much wind sail effect, especially for a high, narrow track RV like the View. Go slower & be ready for the gusts--no fun at all.
Philip53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 06:38 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

We added Sumo springs on our 2005 Pace Arrow 37c and it really helped with driving and sway.
Old 06-03-2020, 07:16 PM   #10
Wheelcrazy

I had the Sumos and a heavy duty sway bar on the rear only on a 2014 Phoenix Cruiser 24’ with the Mercedes chassis. It handled and drove very well, I was very satisfied. ( I’ve owned 14 motor homes). I would say go for it. Maybe do the rear first and see how you like it, I think a heavier front sway bar would be good but the Sumos in front to me weren’t needed and I felt that they might make the ride too stiff. The front of the Sprinter chassis is very well engineered , take your rig to a truck scale and find out how your weight is distributed. On the plus side, Sumos are not expensive or difficult to install or remove.
Old 06-03-2020, 07:22 PM   #11
Winnebago Watcher

Sumo Springs vs Firestone Ride Rite

The Sumo Springs will do very little They may possibly give a modicum of improvement
I just installed Firestone Ride Rite and an Air Lift pump on our 2017 Fuse 23A
The Ride Ride works great and also helps increase ground clearance by 4 inches when needed ie entering steep driveways
Garyfuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 07:32 PM   #12
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip53 View Post
”... Go slower & be ready for the gusts--no fun at all.
I wonder about that. On my motorcycle, going slow just means I get blown over. The gyroscope effect of wheels in motion keeps a motorcycle stable and straight. When stopped, I’d just get blown over, but the faster it goes, the more stable it is. I wonder if that’s not true for the wheels on an RV? Just a thought...
Old 06-03-2020, 07:48 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

My experience is you need to slow down in strong winds. I had the previous generation Sprinter and my impression is that the New generation has a softer ride but is less stable in cross winds. I am sure there is a natural trade off there. I will try the rear Sumo’s first. I also had an Airstream Interstate with an air ride suspension. That was the best. I just don’t want to spend that much $ on this coach.
Old 06-03-2020, 08:35 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyatt View Post
I wonder about that. On my motorcycle, going slow just means I get blown over. The gyroscope effect of wheels in motion keeps a motorcycle stable and straight. When stopped, I’d just get blown over, but the faster it goes, the more stable it is. I wonder if that’s not true for the wheels on an RV? Just a thought...

The wheels on a motor cycle make up a larger percentage of the overall vehicle weight and are not mounted on floating axles like a motor home. Even if the tire along with the rims stays perfectly vertical on a motor home due to the gyroscopic effect the chassis along with the body can still sway side to side on the springs in each corner of the vehicle. If the tires are underinflated for the load they are carrying they can also flex and allow additional sway. A surprising number of folks ride with under inflated tires to soften the ride which adds to the sway problem while over inflation can cause a smaller contact patch with the road and lead to tracking issues in crosswinds too.
Old 06-03-2020, 10:05 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Frequently travel through Wyoming, Idaho & Oregon in 2012 Navion. HWY 80 through WY is particularly windy (lots of windmills!) w heavy semi traffic it can be closed due to high wind gusts, Have seen several semi's on their side or blown off the shoulder. Best to check windspeed and direction on any of several weather WEB sites before traversing, Have occasionally sheltered rather than travel. Headwinds and hi-elevation passes reduce fuel mileage, be sure to carry fuel can. There has been heavy highway construction with many one lane stretches. Lots of bugs this time of year, make sure to carry washer fluid.

Spent $1700 installing Tembrens from www.truckspring.com (instead of Sumo's), Helwig Antisway Bar & Bilstein Shocks. Dramatic improvement but not a panacea. Check wheel alignment, make sure that external cargo, chairs, etc. are well secured.

If you have travel time, check-out HWY 20 (Oregon Trail), scenic route, no semis, several rest stops.

Happy Trails!
Shedboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 10:23 PM   #16
Winnie Owner

Had a rear track bar installed on our vista m26p (27' long class A). Of the suspension "Improvements" its the only one that doesn't reduce suspension compliance....make the ride stiffer. Night and day improvement in straight line stability on the road...especially when being passed by 18 wheelers.
jarnarcos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 07:52 AM   #17
Winnebago Owner

I put Sumo Springs on my 2016 Sightseer and it made a huge difference. Of course wanting more I added a steering stabilizer also which helped but nothing like the Sumo's.
Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 03:38 PM   #18
Winnebago Camper

Love our Sumo springs

We had them installed last year and love them. Great addition for the swaying back and forth. Settles the rig back down quickly over bumps on a turn and really helped with stability on the country roads where the turns can come up on you quicker than you think at times. I'd go for it. We own a 2017 Winnie Sunstar 32YE.
jsands72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 03:45 PM   #19
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for all of the replies. Helpful.
Old 06-04-2020, 06:15 PM   #20
Winnebago Owner

I installed Sumo springs all around on our 2016 Via. Money well spent to stop/minimize the rocking out of driveways. It did provide noticeable help with wind or trucks.
brican is offline   Reply With Quote