Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-01-2022, 02:50 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Step Activation

Hi. Twice I have set the steps to off to keep them extended while staying at a site. Both times, when I went to retract the steps, they would not retract. When I leave the vehicle for a day or two they retract.

Am I right in thinking it is a sequencing issue - I am not starting the engine, opening the door, or turning the switch on in the right order? And if so, what is the right order to move it back to retract and go out with the door opening and closing.

Or, do I have a faulty setup where starting the engine does not override the stairs and retracts automatically (like the manual says it does).

Thanks.
BarbR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 07:49 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbR View Post
Hi. Twice I have set the steps to off to keep them extended while staying at a site.

This is True, if switch is OFF steps should stay extended

Both times, when I went to retract the steps, they would not retract.

What do you mean when you went to retract the steps?

When I leave the vehicle for a day or two they retract.

If the Switch is OFF, they should not retract, even after a day or two. This is problem I had, my steps would randomly retract when they should have been extended because switch was OFF.

Am I right in thinking it is a sequencing issue - I am not starting the engine, opening the door, or turning the switch on in the right order? And if so, what is the right order to move it back to retract and go out with the door opening and closing.

I get confused here, but let's focus on defining the problem 1st, then we can start talking solution.

Or, do I have a faulty setup where starting the engine does not override the stairs and retracts automatically (like the manual says it does).

The steps do not automatically come in (retract) unless the engine starts and door is shut. If this is your problem, your issue may be with the sensor on the door, but I am guessing because I am not really clear on your problem

Thanks.
I was waiting to see if someone else would chime in. I have read your question several times and I get confused each time. I spent two years diagnosing an issue with my steps that Winnebago, Kwikee nor the Dealer could not find. I found my happen chance and I have a thread on this site about it; so you may search for that to see what my solution was.

During the interim because your issue sounds different, I will tell you what I follow from your post and where I get confused. See above in blue.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3; Roadmaster Nighthawk 676; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; Southwire EMS 44270/34951 Display 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 08:50 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

I don't think it will be anything in the way you are doing it as it has a tendancy to pull themin and put them out almsot against your will at times. It is a very safety driven things and WILL NOT let you open the door and fall out, nor will it let you drive with the steps out, assuming all is working right.

I assume due to liability worries, they are designed to keep you safe----even when I don't like it!

One of the nagging problems I have had was the batteries were under the cover at the steps and I wanted to have the steps in so I could stand closer! Nearly impossible to keep those steps in with the door open if I did not put a magnet on the little switch by the door! Knock that magnet off and those steps whacked my shins before I could move!

But then one of the more frequent problems might be in that switch as it is near the floor and door and does take a beating at times.
Maybe just a look at the switch to see if it looks good and tight on the frame and not broken or loose wires, etc. that you can see. Look for anything that could cause the door to do weird things if the switch or wires move when they shouldn't.

But I really think DKolman has a far better idea on this one---if it's not something simple you can see.
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 09:02 PM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

Steps

Thanks Richard, that was helpful. I think your statement that it will not let you drive with the stairs out hits the issue - my Navion does. Since I couldn’t find a resolution at the campground, I drove home, safely to deal with them at home. And then they started working again, which makes me think that the issue is something in the electronic sequence. I took the magnets off the door and used them manually, no change, and I took the switches off the wall and wiggled everything gently looking for look wires etc. All to no avail.

I like your solution for closing them when you want to work on the battery box because it is too far to lean over with the stairs out. Will remember that when the batteries need attention.

Thanks.
Old 07-02-2022, 08:04 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

If they are alike, my switch is called a "reed switch" and inside is pretty delicate as just a thin wire which moves really easy, but it also tends to stick really easy as it takes so little to move the inside.

So use a smallish magnet if wanting to trick it. Too big magnet may pull it too hard!
Old 07-02-2022, 01:48 PM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

Step Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
If they are alike, my switch is called a "reed switch" and inside is pretty delicate as just a thin wire which moves really easy, but it also tends to stick really easy as it takes so little to move the inside.

So use a smallish magnet if wanting to trick it. Too big magnet may pull it too hard!
Thanks I’ll try this, I’m sure it is something little and simple as.
Old 07-08-2022, 09:03 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Door steps

I could fill the page with my step problem (purchase specific circuit tester module, buy replacement motor-incorrect motor-buy another one). Problem: steps would not extend immediately upon opening door, sometimes would not retract upon engine start. SOLUTION after much frustration and troubleshooting LUBRICATION white lithium spray ALL pivot pins/connections.

Probably not your problem but sometimes the simplest things become a problem! Knowing better, HOWEVER just recently I had dead battery. While performing maintenance I usually leave steps extended, started engine after oil change, all OK, next day dead battery, connect charger, hear steps buzzing-no movement, lubricant-steps complete retract then extend with door open. Mystery dead battery solved.
Retired FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 09:21 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

I have to say, I do not have a good understaning of what and how the steps work but I DO know that they are far more complex than most of us would expect!
Old 07-10-2022, 03:32 PM   #9
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks for this Retired FF, I plan to do the step maintenance this week and see how that affects my adventures. I have learned that the battery is most important to protect and monitor for charge and so keep a good eye on it.