Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-23-2018, 08:23 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Sprinter Chassis Leveling

We are down sizing from Winnebago 2012 Tour to View. Are leveling jacks a desired option on Views (Sprinter Chassis).
Old 05-23-2018, 08:58 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

They are desired but they inflict a pretty substantial weight penalty. Your View will have a yellow OCCC number sticker on the door and if you subtract 200 lbs from that will it still be enough for you? That weight penalty and $4400 or so should be part of your decision.

I personally use a LevelMate Pro and lego blocks. The LevelMate Pro gives you a readout on your smartphone that indicates how out of level each corner is. No guessing involved. Put the blocks down that you need, drive onto them, and you are done. Almost as fast as the HWH jacks we had on our Class A.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 11:52 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

since you asked for opinions - there is nothing like pushing a button inside when the weather is nasty outside. If dry camping your done without even going out. If at a campsite I'll jump out and plug in (I usually have enough water on hand for at least 1 day). Getting ready to leave is the same in reverse, push a button.

Yes there is a "cost" in both dollars and weight, for me it has been well worth it. If you plan on moving around a lot they add more value then if you plan on going to one place and staying for long periods of time. It really depends upon how you use your RV.
Old 05-23-2018, 01:29 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

As, LuvLabs has pointed out, levelers come with a significant (depending on view point) weight penalty. Lynx blocks AKA "Lego" blocks are the hot tip. Two bags will do you. Assuming, of course, that you actually pick a fairly level place to start with........ The blocks are light weight & take up a minimum of space. And, they work on just about any ground.

"Levelers"... depending the ground.... may require some 'cribbing' to prevent sinking in the dirt/mud or punching holes in the RV park's asphalt!!! More crap and weight to carry....
Old Crows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 06:42 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYBobbo View Post
since you asked for opinions - there is nothing like pushing a button inside when the weather is nasty outside. If dry camping your done without even going out. If at a campsite I'll jump out and plug in (I usually have enough water on hand for at least 1 day). Getting ready to leave is the same in reverse, push a button.

Yes there is a "cost" in both dollars and weight, for me it has been well worth it. If you plan on moving around a lot they add more value then if you plan on going to one place and staying for long periods of time. It really depends upon how you use your RV.

NYBobbo makes a good point. Those who are "travelers" and rarely stay anywhere more than a night or two will get much more use and value from automatic levelers than those who tend to be "campers".

That said, DW and I are 'travelers' and use the Lynx blocks. They are generally no problem to use.

The cost and weight of the levelers concern me, but I admit the idea of pressing a button has its appeal.
sajohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 06:25 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcubed50 View Post
We are down sizing from Winnebago 2012 Tour to View. Are leveling jacks a desired option on Views (Sprinter Chassis).
Just my 2 cents, but unless you've got an absorption fridge option, leveling isn't really necessary, except for personal comfort when parked on an uneven surface. My Navion has an electric only Norcold fridge/freezer, and it doesn't require leveling to function, as it's a compressor model, like a residential model.
That said, at some point, I may add some sort of automatic leveling jacks, if it seems like it would be a useful addition, for the added comfort and ease of performing that task. We haven't had our Navion long enough to really see what works, what doesn't, and what we might want to add or subtract from the mix.
Winterbagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 06:43 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

It isn’t just leveling, we put them on our Via for added stability when walking or moving around. The best mod we ever made.
neschultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 07:09 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Another somewhat contrarian thought occurs.
Thinking about our Sunstar which had LCI leveling jacks, and regarding the comments about the usefulness of automatic leveling jacks by "travelers" versus "campers".
I'm not sure we ever used our automatic/hydraulic jacks in our Sunstar when we did an overnight in a Walmart or rest area, either when touring or on our way somewhere. We usually just found a fairly level spot to park, and I recall thinking it probably wasn't a good idea to drop the jacks onto what might be softer/warmer asphalt in a private parking lot/area. I know many people do it, but just not us. We didn't want to do any damage. "Leave no trace".
However, if you're going to be parked in one place for a longer time, like when snowbirding in a winter campground, or just storing your rig in your driveway, I would suggest using the leveling jacks to lighten the load on your tires, and potentially keeping your tires from getting flat spots, particularly in warmer climates. We did this when our rig wasn't in use, and it seemed to work out well for our tires when we did get "out there".
So, in that respect, they might be just as useful for "campers" as they are for "travelers".
Old 06-02-2018, 07:15 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by neschultz View Post
It isn’t just leveling, we put them on our Via for added stability when walking or moving around. The best mod we ever made.
Good point.

What we have done for stability -- which I fully realize is not for everyone -- is to mount a pair of scissors jacks in place of the 'skids'.

They can be raised and lowered with a speed wrench or a drill.

Obviously not comparable to the auto levers, just a cheaper, lighter alternative.
Old 06-02-2018, 07:54 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Love my HWH auto levelers

I just recently installed a set of HWH auto levelers on my '17 Navion--one of the best mods I ever made. I resisted installing levelers on my '02 Super C Toyhauler, but I just did not know what I was missing. Now you will see all kinds of reasons why not to have them, but have you ever heard from anyone who has them regret having them installed? There may be a few, but not many I'll wager. Good luck.
Philip53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 08:07 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterbagoal View Post
Another somewhat contrarian thought occurs.
Thinking about our Sunstar which had LCI leveling jacks, and regarding the comments about the usefulness of automatic leveling jacks by "travelers" versus "campers".
I'm not sure we ever used our automatic/hydraulic jacks in our Sunstar when we did an overnight in a Walmart or rest area, either when touring or on our way somewhere. We usually just found a fairly level spot to park, and I recall thinking it probably wasn't a good idea to drop the jacks onto what might be softer/warmer asphalt in a private parking lot/area. I know many people do it, but just not us. We didn't want to do any damage. "Leave no trace".
However, if you're going to be parked in one place for a longer time, like when snowbirding in a winter campground, or just storing your rig in your driveway, I would suggest using the leveling jacks to lighten the load on your tires, and potentially keeping your tires from getting flat spots, particularly in warmer climates. We did this when our rig wasn't in use, and it seemed to work out well for our tires when we did get "out there".
So, in that respect, they might be just as useful for "campers" as they are for "travelers".
You mean to say you don't extend the slide(s), break out the grill; party lights; folding chairs; table; and boombox every place you spend the night?

Excellent points.

Even an ordinary vehicle can leave indentations in warm asphalt. In fact, many parking spots have low spots where the tires usually are.

It is commendable that you do not use your levers in situations where there is a chance they will cause damage.

Also, as you pointed out, quite often -- but far from always -- one can usually find a fairly level spot. In which case, levers are not needed, except perhaps for stability.

Of course "travelers" do not always stay in rest areas and private parking lots. Some stay in campgrounds where using levelers is often both allowed and useful.

We don't hear much about flat spots on tires anymore, so I thought it was a problem that had been solved. A quick Google search indicated that it can indeed still be an issue, although in most cases if flat spots do develop they go away within the first few miles. Still, no reason to chance it. Anyone who already has levelers would obviously want to use them for storage.

We have been storing our View for months at a time with the tires resting on the floor in our garage and have not had a problem, but there's always a first time. I think I'll start storing it with the tires off the floor. I can easily raise the front end with the lift, but lifing the entire rig would be pushing the 10,000 lb limit. So raising the rear end will be more work, but the factory bottle jack does a surprisingly good job.
Old 06-02-2018, 08:19 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip53 View Post
I just recently installed a set of HWH auto levelers on my '17 Navion--one of the best mods I ever made. I resisted installing levelers on my '02 Super C Toyhauler, but I just did not know what I was missing. Now you will see all kinds of reasons why not to have them, but have you ever heard from anyone who has them regret having them installed? There may be a few, but not many I'll wager. Good luck.
I don't doubt that one bit!

We would have gotten them years ago but for two things:

1) Cost
2) Weight

The expense is a concern, but secondary.

If we had extra OCCC I could be convinced to spend the $4,400.

As it is I am trying to think of ways to shed weight.

Many owners are not in that position. Or perhaps they are and do not realize it. I would strongly recommend that all RV owners have their rig weighed when fully loaded. That way they will know how much OCCC they have remaining (if any) and they will be able to properly inflate their tires.

The ~200 lbs the levelers add doesn't sound like much, but it is over 20% of the OCCC for at least one V/N.

Still, from what I've read, most people who have weighed their rig find that they do have some extra cargo capacity, and they may very well decide the weight penalty of the levelers is worth it.
Old 06-02-2018, 08:53 PM   #13
Winnebago Watcher

Frame and warranty gets voided

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcubed50 View Post
I understand the frame is not strong enough to sustain the torque of having jacks.
rocketman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 09:02 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketman View Post
I understand the frame is not strong enough to sustain the torque of having jacks.
There is some confusion over that due to the fact that the Sprinter *vans* are unibody construction. They do not have a separate frame like the cab-chassis the V/N and other Class C RVs are built on.

There are hundreds if not thousands of V/Ns that have automatic levelers installed and I'm not aware of any serious issues.
Old 06-02-2018, 09:35 PM   #15
Winnebago Watcher

HWH all the way, I have it in mine.
Lucky 348 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 10:19 PM   #16
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajohnson View Post
There is some confusion over that due to the fact that the Sprinter *vans* are unibody construction. They do not have a separate frame like the cab-chassis the V/N and other Class C RVs are built on.

There are hundreds if not thousands of V/Ns that have automatic levelers installed and I'm not aware of any serious issues.
I had heard that mentioned in other topics, too. Some other threads on other forums also mentioned that some systems which will fit Sprinter cab cutaways do not need to drill holes in the frame, they're clamped on, and so don't weaken the steel in those areas.
In hindsight, I wish we'd foregone the factory stabilizers, and opted for a hydraulic or other automatic jacking system. It's one of the things I now miss from our Sunstar. It was a nice option. I might still add power leveling jacks at some point in the future, but would have to sacrifice the stabilizers, to decrease the overall weight. I wasn't even thinking about power automatic jacks when we optioned out our Navion. My bad.
Old 06-03-2018, 05:32 AM   #17
Winnebago Camper

We just traded our Navion and wish it had levelers on it because it really moves when walking around when parked. Less expensive would be to add scissor jacks to the rear.
LuckyGrandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 08:43 AM   #18
Winnebago Camper

I have them and they always get me level in moments. Then put out slide. I always worried when using block about twisting the chassis. Even with blocks floor was bouncie when walking around. I don't think I was worried about weight as we pack lightly.
I am very happy I have them
1953Tbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 09:25 AM   #19
Winnebago Camper

Bought a 2017 View v model. Have 19k on it. If you do mostly boo docking jacks might be helpful. Although I hand leveled a few times with blocks. Bought the screw type to use with drill. But never took them out of the box. Unit levels pretty easy with minimal jocking around. We have changed our time frame plans and intend to look for a 33c sightseur Our View is in excellent condition and will be available end of June.
DJDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 11:15 AM   #20
Winnebago Camper

I’m a single lady, have had my 2012 Navion iQ on the Sprinter chassis for 6 years and have put 50,000 miles on it traveling all over the West and Midwest. I don’t have levelers and have never missed them. While I can see others would not mind the cost, for me it would be just more then I feel I need/want to spend. I use the LEGO blocks when needed while traveling and also in storage to keep the tires off the cement. I’ve never had the sensation of rocking or instability of the coach. Easy decision for me as I have plenty of other uses for the money levelers would cost. It’s definitely a personal decision as to what you feel works for you.
Sandi

Tags
chassis, leveling