Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-25-2021, 08:41 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Speed Limit advisor

I'm still learning new things about our new 21VV. I see that when I'm on the open road where the speed limit is 70 MPH but in the dash it shows 55MPH speed limit. Yet when I come into a town the limit well follow what is posted at that time. For instance when the road sign shows 40 the speed limit in the dash also shows 40. Is this normal or is there a way to have the limit show what the speed limit that agrees with the road signs.

Thanks

Butch
butch50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 09:44 PM   #2
Site Team

Hi Butch,
I hope this prior Thread will help guide you:
https://www.winnieowners.com/forums/...em-358815.html
Eagle5
Old 03-26-2021, 09:32 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

The 55 MPH limit on the dashboard display appears to be a software restriction imposed by Mercedes - perhaps they believe the Sprinter chassis vehicles are supposed to be speed limited to 55...

I reported this to our Mercedes dealer at our last service - and they couldn't provide any assistance to get this fixed. I encountered the same response about the completely useless rear view mirror - they wouldn't remove it because, as far as Mercedes is concerned, the rear view mirror is a required "safety" feature. Winnebago may be in a better position to get the 55 MPH limit removed and to remove the rear view mirror - after the Sprinter chassis becomes a motorhome.

Android Auto and Apple CarPlay on the MBUX display should display the correct speed limit. Plus, the MBUX dashboard speed limit is probably coming from an onboard database, which is guaranteed to be out-of-date, while the apps running on the MBUX display should be using the latest speed limits from their cloud servers.

Fortunately, MB has shifted Sprinter-based RVs from Mercedes Pro Connect (more complicated interface intended for commercial/fleet vehicles) to the more consumer friendly Mercedes Me Connect.

If you haven't activated Mercedes Me - you should do so. While that won't fix the 55 MPH speed limit issue - it will activate other useful features...
rprochnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 12:50 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

The speed is kind of what I figured, it is still stupide. Thanks for your help.
butch50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 04:11 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

It is a problem with the database that Mercedes is using. I have the same problem with my Garmin 760 GPS unit where it shows 55 mph on the interstates where it is always 65 mph or higher.

There are only two companies that maintain the databases for the GPS devices. I had one direct me to make a 200 mile detour as the bridge that was buiilt before WW II was not in the database.
Elkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 04:27 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

We see inconsistent speed limits in our Tesla vehicles - which has a larger impact, since the driver assistance software (including cruise control) will automatically adjust speed based on the posted speed limit.

Tesla uses a speed limit database downloaded to the vehicle, which is probably what MBUX is using. And because of that the speed limit database is almost guaranteed to be out-of-date, especially in areas of current or recent construction.

That's why speed limit sign detection is important, which is supposed to be available with MBUX, if "Traffic Sign Assist" is enabled. That feature is supposed to detect speed limit signs (pages 153-154 of the Sprinter manual) - but there's a warning the system could be limited if "the navigation system's digital map is incorrect or out-of-date".

Or, it's possible the Traffic Sign Assist feature doesn't really work in our View/Navion RVs...
Old 04-01-2021, 12:45 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Over the past 40 years I have seen a marked decrease in quality control and testing by software companies. In 2016 Microsoft shut down its testing group, deciding it was better to let customers report bugs. Even Amazon IT people are clueless about database cleaning and testing so if I do a search for a kitchen item I get results for automotive parts or health aids or clothing.

It is also why the idea of trusting autonomous vehicles is so foolhardy. Even with a captain on the bridge a super container ship ran aground in the Suez Canal as happened with the QE II cruise ship off the east coast and the Enterprise aircraft carrier when entering San Francisco Bay.
Elkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 02:02 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

This may be compounded by the use of a Sprinter chassis converted to an RV.

The software appears to be oriented towards commercial Sprinter vans - so there may be some things that aren't well designed when there's a "house" on the back of the Sprinter - like the rear view mirror and rear view camera.

Obviously the rear view mirror is useless in an RV (which we had removed, making it easier to get the sunshades to work).

And because of that, Mercedes and Winnebago would be able to get an exemption from the rear view camera rules - and allow MB or WBO to enable the rear camera - while driving.

The speed limit "bug" may be something similar... And the feature may work correctly in a Sprinter van. Might be worthwhile to check with owners of Sprinter Class B's and see if they are seeing the same issue.
Old 04-01-2021, 02:29 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

I have several Garmins in different vehicles and you usually can change the speed limit by toughing the speed limit icon and it well let you enter the new speed limit. That's how Garmin gets updates.

Not sure if that will work on all Garmins however.
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 03:01 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

With MBUX, the speed limit is displayed on the dashboard - no way to interact with it.

It seems unlikely this is due to a database issue - since the dashboard never displays any speeds above 55 MPH with the MBUX Traffic Sign Assist. It must either be a software bug, or the MBUX configuration is set to cap the speed limit to 55 MPH (did someone believe the Sprinter chassis would be towing something - which is limited to 55 MPH in many places)?

At least Google Maps in Android Auto is displaying the correct speed limit...
Old 04-04-2021, 04:55 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by rprochnow View Post
And because of that, Mercedes and Winnebago would be able to get an exemption from the rear view camera rules - and allow MB or WBO to enable the rear camera - while driving.
An exemption to what rules? Are you saying that there is some set of rules that do not allow a rear view/backup camera to work when driving down the road?

I ask because the backup camera in our 2018 WBO Fuse works just fine when driving down the road and I am not aware of any rule/restriction/law/policy or anything else that prohibits that. I can turn it on or off as I see fit. It comes on automatically when backing up and turns off automatically when shifting into drive or park, but can be turned on with the press of a button.
AJMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 07:32 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

There was a previous discussion about this (which wouldn't apply to a 2018 Fuse):

https://www.winnieowners.com/forums/...ra-359007.html

New vehicles are prohibited from having the rear view camera displayed while the vehicle is moving forward.

Though MB or WBO could request an exception to allow MBUX to display the rear view camera while driving - but they haven't.

Since the rear view mirror is completely useless, it would be much better if the rear view camera was available...
Old 04-05-2021, 12:20 PM   #13
2106 DS Micro Minnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by butch50 View Post
I'm still learning new things about our new 21VV. I see that when I'm on the open road where the speed limit is 70 MPH but in the dash it shows 55MPH speed limit. Yet when I come into a town the limit well follow what is posted at that time. For instance when the road sign shows 40 the speed limit in the dash also shows 40. Is this normal or is there a way to have the limit show what the speed limit that agrees with the road signs.

Thanks

Butch
I would pay no attention to what your dash tells you the speed limit is. I'm sure the cop could care less.
stoney1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 02:24 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

It varies by state

Quote:
Originally Posted by butch50 View Post

Thanks

Butch

Just a thought. Some states (California, for one) have a different speed limit for RVs and Trucks with trailers. It's 55 statewide. Maybe you were perhaps in a state that has this restriction?
golden13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 03:18 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

Texas doesn't limit trucks to 55 MPH - and I haven't seen anything above 55 MPH displayed as the speed limit so far in Texas.
Old 04-05-2021, 03:29 PM   #16
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by golden13 View Post
Just a thought. Some states (California, for one) have a different speed limit for RVs and Trucks with trailers. It's 55 statewide. Maybe you were perhaps in a state that has this restriction?
Just to clarify - California has a 55 mph speed limit for vehicles with trailers, be they cars, RVs or trucks.

This post does not mean "RVs and (truck with trailers)", which would imply that RVs without trailers also have a 55 mph speed limit, but (RVs and trucks) with trailers. Or, more accurately, (cars and RVs and trucks) with trailers.

Don't mean to be pedantic. Just trying to clarify.
Old 04-05-2021, 03:34 PM   #17
Winnebago Master

Texas doesn't have a separate speed limit for towing. RVs are allowed at the normal passenger car speed limit - which is up to 85 MPH.
Old 04-05-2021, 04:35 PM   #18
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by rprochnow View Post
Texas doesn't have a separate speed limit for towing. RVs are allowed at the normal passenger car speed limit - which is up to 85 MPH.
I think that is the highest speed limit I have ever heard about in the US. Where, in Texas, is it?

We drive from the Phoenix area to the Texas Gulf Coast every year and the speed limit on I-10 from El Paso to San Antonio is never higher than 75, so I am curious where in the State they have an 85 mph speed limit. The only place I have seen anything close to that is in southern Utah on a stretch of I-70 that has an 80 mph speed limit.

I think Wyoming or Montana used to have no posted speed limit, referring to "Reasonable and Proper", but I think that has gone away and been replaced by some posted speed limit.
Old 04-05-2021, 05:15 PM   #19
Winnebago Master

TX-130 between Austin and San Antonio has 40 miles at 85 MPH. The TX legislature set this speed limit - it is a privately built toll road ($6), intended to encourage traffic to bypass Austin, which gets a lot of congestion where I35 goes through downtown.

There are other highways in TX that are set at 80 MPH.

As long as it's not too windy - have taken our View to 80 MPH (even though the Sprinter thinks the speed limit is 55...).