Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-16-2020, 07:17 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Soon to be View owner

Put a deposit down on a 24D arriving in March. Time to get most of the stuff need in a leisurely manner. Awesome resources here and in some individual blogs.

I have not seen and am looking for advice on recommended outdoor storage covers and well fitting cushion seat covers to protect against dog wear and tear.

Also any RV supply outlets have a good reputation for good black-Friday/cyber Monday sales?
37NG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 08:53 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by 37NG View Post
Put a deposit down on a 24D arriving in March. Time to get most of the stuff need in a leisurely manner. Awesome resources here and in some individual blogs.

I have not seen and am looking for advice on recommended outdoor storage covers and well fitting cushion seat covers to protect against dog wear and tear.

Also any RV supply outlets have a good reputation for good black-Friday/cyber Monday sales?
Outdoor storage covers? I would build something that doesn't make contact with the motorhome, like a carport. The ones that are like a blanket can wear the painted surfaces in the wind, and generally just become homes for vermin, birds, mice, and so on.
Google is your friend for cyber stuff.
Winterbagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 04:36 PM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

@37NG

I just did the same thing, but mine should be arriving later this month.

What did you end up paying for yours (Can send it privately if you want)?
Er0si0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 03:58 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

I got mine!

Had 2018 24D and upgraded to 2021 model. Love it!

Couple of things however.

The fridge used to open fully with the slideout in and the sofa cushion up. Now it misses by 1/2" so you must put the slideout out in order to fully open the fridge door.

Bathroom slider is very noisy in the open position when driving. Made a clamp to hold it still.

Love the new microwave location. Cabinets and drawers big improvement Bed legs are easy to put down as left and right are independent. Love the new stove.

New door! Very nice and quiet with retractable screen door.

and I absolutely love the new MB front end. What a dream to drive. EXCEPT the electronic dash is tough to read in the daytime.

All in all worth the 70k upgrade cost.
daSpud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 06:57 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

You can get more clearance for the refrigerator door with the slide in by lifting the sofa cushion - making it much easier to access the inside of the refrigerator while moving.

We haven't had any issues with the bathroom sliding door. Our door stays put when it's open and we're driving. If you have a loose door, add that to your list of issues to check the next time you're having the View serviced (by a Winnebago dealer).

There was a service bulletin on the new door's strut - which moves the strut attachment to a more secure location. If your strut is fastened to the door right above the window, it probably hasn't had the service done yet on the strut - and recommend getting that done ASAP, to minimize the risk of damaging the door if it opens too quickly.

The other issue with the door is air gaps. Initially we had pretty large gaps at the top and bottom corners closest to the galley. By adjusting the two u-bolts that latch the door, I was able to eliminate all but a sliver of the opening in each corner.

My next attempt to fix this issue will be to remove the u-bolts and flip them into the other direction (instead of the end sticking out to the outside, having them bend into the inside) - providing a little more room to make the door close more - and hopefully eliminate the remaining air gaps. The air gaps weren't huge issue in the summer heat - but I suspect they will be a bigger issue when it's much colder outside.
rprochnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 08:15 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rprochnow View Post
You can get more clearance for the refrigerator door with the slide in by lifting the sofa cushion - making it much easier to access the inside of the refrigerator while moving.
I do lift the sofa cushion and the door hits the front of the sofa at the top edge. It needs to be about 3/4" lower for clearance. Yours is not like that? I should take a picture.

Quote:
We haven't had any issues with the bathroom sliding door. Our door stays put when it's open and we're driving. If you have a loose door, add that to your list of issues to check the next time you're having the View serviced (by a Winnebago dealer).
The door is not really loose, but the internal hardware is slack and rattles when the door is parked open.

Quote:
There was a service bulletin on the new door's strut - which moves the strut attachment to a more secure location. If your strut is fastened to the door right above the window, it probably hasn't had the service done yet on the strut - and recommend getting that done ASAP, to minimize the risk of damaging the door if it opens too quickly.
Good to know. I will check. I don't remember where it is.

Quote:
The other issue with the door is air gaps. Initially we had pretty large gaps at the top and bottom corners closest to the galley. By adjusting the two u-bolts that latch the door, I was able to eliminate all but a sliver of the opening in each corner.
I noticed gaps on mine if the door is latched at the bottom, but not fully latched at the top. If both are latched it is difficult for my wife to open the door. I found that if I push in with my thumb and then pull with the rest of my fingers that I can open it pretty easily from the outside. With the door fully latched and all the gaps gone the door is tough to open from the inside or outside, but I still like it better than the old door.

Quote:
My next attempt to fix this issue will be to remove the u-bolts and flip them into the other direction (instead of the end sticking out to the outside, having them bend into the inside) - providing a little more room to make the door close more - and hopefully eliminate the remaining air gaps. The air gaps weren't huge issue in the summer heat - but I suspect they will be a bigger issue when it's much colder outside.
Good luck with that. Please report back your results.
daSpud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 12:46 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

The 24D comes with two 100W solar panels and this is just enough to run the fridge so if you want solar charging of the house batteries while using the inverter to run applicances then adding two more panels is a good idea.

We pick our 24D up later this week. I bought the heavy duty versions of the front and rear SumoSprings and a Precision Circuits battery manager for lithium batteries. These will be installed by the dealer prior to our picking up the RV.

I will be installing the lithium house batteries myself in a couple of weeks. 100 Watt hours with the AGM and 200 Watt hours with the lithium batteries.I view it as part of the price for having a DC only Norcold.

In the past I have put a Sunbrella cover as well as a Harpster super heavy duty 16 mil tarp. The tarp adds extra protection as the Sunbrella fabric starts to lose its water repellancy. My wife made a cab cover to keep it clean and it has two cloth tabs to secure it when the doors are closed and keep it attached to the vehicle.
Elkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 08:44 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Have you looked into the Lithionics Group 31 lithium batteries - what Winnebago installs with the lithium battery option?

The batteries have built-in BMS, eliminating the need for a separate battery manager - and can be monitored via bluetooth with a smartphone app.

Plus, each battery has 125Ah - providing 250Ah of storage.
rprochnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 01:32 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

I have ordered the Lithionics batteries and also I am have installed the Precision Circuits' Lithium BIM so that the solar panels can keep both the lithium house batteries charged and also the chassis batteries.

The lithium can be a problem as they cannot be charged at temperatures below 32 degrees (except for the new Relion R100-LT 100 Ah that can be charged at temperatures as low as -4 degrees). Where we go it is seldom cold enough during the day to be a problem with lithium house batteries and our having 25% more battery capacity the other 95% of the time when boondocking is far more important.
Elkman is offline   Reply With Quote