Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-15-2007, 11:27 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

I had to sell our Adventurer and would like to know from owners of the View and Navion their thoughts about the vehicle and layout, and whether any of them tow a toad with their RV. Any comments would be appreciated.
Richard and Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 11:27 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I had to sell our Adventurer and would like to know from owners of the View and Navion their thoughts about the vehicle and layout, and whether any of them tow a toad with their RV. Any comments would be appreciated.
Old 11-15-2007, 03:25 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

My father-in-law got a 24B a few months ago. we just came back from Florida.

The bunk model is a bit tight, but the table/couch in front make a nice living room even without a slide. Having the upper bunk, and the rear bunks really gives a lot of space. The storage under the back lower bunk is great too.

He hasn't towed with it yet. But I've driven it a bit and it very swift compared to our bigger and heavier Adventurer. It's easy to forget it's a motorhome. I'm sure it'll tow a small toad just fine. He got about 17 MPG driving his normal car speeds on the trip. Roughly the same as what he'd have gotten in his Expedition.

Lots of things seem very similar, because they are, of course. A Winnebago is a Winnebago.

tderonne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 03:29 AM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

Just purchased a 2008 Navion 24H. I tow a 2004 Honda Pilot which I towed with my Suncruiser. Technically it exceeds the weight limits of the hitch but is well within the weight limits of the chassis (3500 Sprinter can tow 7500# according to owners manual). Since I am towing 4 down with virtually no tongue weight I feel there is no problem. I do have an M & G air assist aux braking system that will relieve the wear and tear on the brakes. I have only towed about 200 miles but it tows great with no handling problems. Will get better test when we tow north this April.
k gonnam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 03:57 AM   #5
Living The Dream

We've had our View since August of 2005. Great performance, good mpg, very few problems. Our toad weighs about 2,500 lbs. wet, which is a good weight for the Sprinter chassis. Our View has the I-5 engine; the new one's have a slightly larger V-6, so they likely do a little better. There's also now a gas version, but I haven't seen one yet.

Now you have to decide --- which floor plan?? The original-style Views and Navions come in a B, H or J configuration. The new Navion iQ comes in a CL and DL configurations. Check them out live somewhere, or take a look at the Winnebago website.

To tow or not to tow ---- and your floor plan selection ---- largely depend on YOUR lifestyle. Others may feel what they've done is the way to go, but you know you best. Have fun shopping.

Good luck!
SeeTheUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 04:02 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the input. Looking forward to how it towed on the trip up north. Please let me know and would appreciate information on how you did with mileage. Thanks again.
Old 04-20-2008, 05:21 PM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

This is a description of our experiences on our first long trip since trading our 38' Suncruiser for our 24' Navion. There are a number of issues to address: drivability, mileage, sleeping, storage, towing, and misc.
Drivability: This unit drives like a dream. I maintained 62 – 67 mph consistently, mostly with the cruise control. Compared to the Suncruiser there was no wandering and it took far less effort to steer and control. Smaller size made it much easier to get in and out of gas stations, even towing. I told my wife it's almost like driving her mini van. It is affected by the wind some. A couple of times I got a big wind push from a semi or going through a viaduct. Overall though, I give it an A in drivability. The Mercedes diesel is quiet and strong. Only a couple of mountain grades slowed us down appreciably.
Mileage: The jury is still out on this topic. These units are advertised as getting mileage in the high teens and possibly low twenties. Well, not yet although the more I drive it the better it gets. We started out at 10.1 mpg and slowly climbed to 13.1 mpg. I would usually stop between 175 and 200 miles and fill up. (Total trip mileage was approx 12mpg. However, it did slightly improve as the trip progressed.) Various people have told me that diesels take a while to break in and it may take 10000 miles to get the mileage up to a good range. I do tow a car but was told by a caravan wagon master that should only cost me 1 mpg. In a related topic, finding ultra low sulphur diesel fuel can be a problem still. It is changing over but is not totally required till next year. Another problem is the pump nozzle. I'm not properly informed on this but apparently there are two sizes of nozzles and the Sprinter fill neck takes the small nozzle but 5 out of 6 places I got fuel had the large nozzle. This required carefully pressing the nozzle to the fill neck and slowly filling till it starts to blow back. Real pain. I have to try and solve this problem.
Sleeping: We bought the 24 H which does not have the rear corner bed of the J model. We have a dinette that converts to a double bed and a sofa that converts to a ¾ bed and of course the overhead bunk. We use the two lower beds and use the overhead for storage. They are all right but certainly not the comfort of our queen SelectComfort bed in the Suncruiser. And, we have to set them up every night and take them down every morning. This requires storage space for the bedding.
Storage: I would estimate we lost at least 75% of the storage capacity we enjoyed in the Suncruiser. Kitchen storage is OK. We have a pantry, a decent fridge, and the sink/range unit has enough drawers and cabinet space for tableware and cookware. But, there is virtually no outside storage (just barely enough for electric cords, water hoses, sewer hose, and some other exterior utility needs. There is one small closet and a rod in the shower for clothes; although, you can't take a shower in a closet so you either have to use it for a shower or use it as a closet. Basically, our big storage area for bedding and clothes is the upper bunk. We'll put our foldable clothes in laundry baskets and put them up there along with the bedding. We snapped the curtain on to separate the cockpit from the living area and just fold it up into the bunk and hold it with the baskets during the day. You have to really consider what you need to carry with you in this unit because every cubic inch is valuable.
Towing: I tow a 2004 Honda Pilot with a Sterling Tow bar. I also have an M & G Vacuum assist braking system. Have experienced no trouble whatsoever towing. I seem to have plenty of power and braking is no problem. My only problem has been the failure of the Voyager rear vision monitor. Once this is fixed, everything will be fine.
Misc: There is not enough seating to view TV from. I am going to buy one or two swivel adapters for the front seats so we can turn them around to face the main living area. You can't watch TV from the dinette as the angle is wrong and the flat screen becomes distorted. The only technical problem I've had is the rearview monitor. It works sporadically. Otherwise, all the systems work well and fit and finish is pretty good. I have really enjoyed the Sirius radio.
k gonnam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 03:07 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Thanks for comprehensive write up on the Navion. Since I am thinking smaller, this really comes in handy and is spot on for a prelude.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 05:50 PM   #9
Winnebago Watcher

Although I haven't seen a thread dedicated to the Sprinter/Mercedes RV's 24ft I would like to know if there is one. I have questions about toads and what is the lightest 4x4.