Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-04-2021, 06:17 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Slideout Roof Seal Question

Hi Guys,

This is something I brought up to my dealer, and I wanted to get some of your opinions as well.

I’ve seen 2 types of slideout roof construction; the type that Winnie and Forest River uses on their C’s and the type Jayco uses.

Jayco applies a TPO/EPDM membrane across the top of the roof, and where the roof meets the far sidewall joint they apply a strip of Eternabond. I’ve always found that type of construction to be solid and I’ve never had a leak.

The Forest River had construction that looks like the Winnie. Metal across the top, joined on the sidewall w/ screws and sealed up with what I assume is butyl tape and some thermoplastic type of caulking. My Forest River leaked all over my head.

So I asked service to apply a strip of Eternabond across that seam pre-emptively; service said they’d do it but they’re not sure how well it’ll stick since Eternabond sticks to everything except silicone based products.

So - I’m leaning towards listening to service and relying on Winnie’s build quality; however having that impermeable strip of Eternabond across that seam would give peace of mind if they could apply it properly.

What say you guys?

One thing I DO have to look at when I get my rig is how far (or not) my slideout covers extend past the sidewall of my slideout. I’m hoping Winnie gave me some overhang - Forest River did not. This could have exasperated my leak problem.
Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof, seal, slide, slideout