Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-20-2019, 11:34 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Slide out motors

Just want to know how difficult it is to get to the slideout motors ok my Winnebago class c 26A. Seems there are no videos and the manual is worthless.
Of all the issues that could be an issue besides a flat tire or an engine failure is have a slide stuck out. Any one had this happen?
Jrb46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 07:56 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

All depends on what type of slide motors are used. Is it under the slide, are there two tracks on each side of the slide, or are there what appear to be rods on the sides? Winnebago has used all three types and all three are different. You might want to post a picture of you slide.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 09:03 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

I suggest going to the specific manuals for the year, make and model of RV you have and study where the motors are located, and any info on the brand, then look at the location, etc. for removal. On my Class A slides, it is not at all hard once I studied where and how to access them from the outside.
While searching for info, the manuals should give a hint on how to pull the slide in and secure it.
Step one might be to ask if you are sure it is actually a motor failure and not a simple case of the attachment between the motor and slide but that always involves which make year and model as it varies.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 05:33 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

My 31G has a Slim Rack by LCI. I found some information and videos here:

https://support.lci1.com/in-wall-slide-out

That is the best I found. It looks like you have to remove a piece of trim then take out a bunch of screws to gain access to the motors. I hope I never need this.
Motts461 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 11:32 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

It would help to know the Year and Product Line your 26C floor plan is from. Winnebago usually supplies all the information and tools required to retract the slides in an emergency and provides an Operators Manual for the entire coach plus the individual manuals from the component providers in the Winnebago Black Bag/Binder which also should include the build sheet listing the model and serial numbers of all the major components.

My 2001 Adventurer 35U on the Ford F53 Chassis had the wrenches and keys required to manually retract the slides in the bag along with a winch stored in the coach that hooks to the top lip of the entry steps and a tether under the sofa for manually retracting the slides while others have cranks, bits for a drill, etc for turning the slide gears/motors/ACME Screws and such.
Old 11-28-2019, 07:16 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via Skype™ to Yoders2Go
Twice, same side, a Schwintek. They have several varieties. I can't yet figure out how to determine which variety we have! The last time, last summer, we were a million (it seemed) miles from any professional help. Finally got a Winnebago tech on the phone who kind of helped us get to the slide motors though we weren't seeing what he was describing! The motors, on ours, are under the trim on the coach that the slide closes in on. Ours are then under a strip of thick aluminum. And at the top. The tech thought we should be able to just pop them out. NOT! There was a rivet that had to be cut off, then screws to be removed then a plug to be disconnected. After we got them out, it took four adults to push the slide in. The tech thought we should be able to just pop the motors back in. I'm not sure what he was drinking! We braced it from inside (18') with three slide braces. Then drove 300 NERVOUS miles to a SUPER repair shop in Rapid City, SD where there happened to be a Schwintek tech who fixed it. We were sure we had ruined it all, when in fact we hadn't ruined any of it. My nerves, on the other hand, were shot!
Yoders2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 07:32 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

To answer the one question, yes I have had a slide stuck out. It was the Schwintek by Lippert. It was a PIA but not mechanically challenging to get to the motors. Before doing all the work, there is a sequence on the control box that may resolve the issue. If the two motors get out of sync, the controller can just stop. That didn't work for me, so trim had to be removed from the inside to get to the motor and from the outside under a trim piece to loosen a set screw to "free" the motor from the shaft and go inside to pry the motor up. Once done, 3 of us pushed the slide in. As it turned out, the problem was the bed safety switch. (The head of the bed must be raised to allow sufficient room for the slide to come in.) It bent out of the way when the head of the bed was raised and so when the switch didn't make contact, the slide motors were disabled. I found later that if I had switched the in/out wires on the controller and pushed the out button, the slide would have retracted. Switching the wires bypassed the safety switch. Sure would have been easier.
RTrider is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide, slide out