Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-23-2020, 08:21 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Slide Fully In?

Hello. I'm a new owner of a 2016 Spirit 31k. I've noticed when the slide is in the retracted position, it still projects about 1" out from the side of the body of the camper. Should the slide be flush, or should it stick out about an inch?

Thank you.
Old 07-23-2020, 08:31 PM   #2
Site Team

It should be flush with the seal making contact with the side of the camper. We had ours adjusted at LCI when we went in for a motor fix.
Old 07-23-2020, 08:59 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

I can see the seal touching the side of the camper, but it projects out about an inch. I'm in SE NC, a long way from LCI. Any suggestions?
Old 07-24-2020, 05:52 AM   #4
Site Team

We happened to be traveling past their shop in IN and stopped. The same techs that work in the shop also travel, but I'm not sure what the costs for that are. You may want to check and see if there is a way to put the system into a mode that will allow you to reset the stops.
Old 07-25-2020, 11:36 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Put the slide out. Hold the button for 5 seconds to sync the motors. Then retract and do the same. There are video online to show you how to lube the system.
Old 07-25-2020, 12:19 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffie Drink View Post
Put the slide out. Hold the button for 5 seconds to sync the motors. Then retract and do the same. There are video online to show you how to lube the system.
I'll do that next, Coffee Drink. Here are a couple pics:
Attached Images

Siman00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 12:21 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Pics are sideways, but the black is the rubber seal. The slide itself is about 1" from being flush with the side of the coach.
Old 07-25-2020, 12:25 PM   #8
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siman00 View Post
I'll do that next, Coffee Drink. Here are a couple pics:
Fully retracted, here’s what our two slides look like...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CC8D582F-52AD-4566-A192-F3FE9209EFC7.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	182.5 KB
ID:	174343   Click image for larger version

Name:	4B064A2A-F599-4B0C-AA50-88DD26DFC4D8.jpeg
Views:	69
Size:	1.29 MB
ID:	174344  

Old 07-25-2020, 12:33 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

OK, yours look exactly like mine. You have the same 1" protrusion, making the slide non-flish.

Never having seen a new one retracted, I want sure if mine was OK or not. Based on your pics, I'd say ours is OK. I'm relieved. Thank you.
Old 07-25-2020, 12:40 PM   #10
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
OK, yours look exactly like mine. You have the same 1" protrusion, making the slide non-flish.

Never having seen a new one retracted, I want sure if mine was OK or not. Based on your pics, I'd say ours is OK. I'm relieved. Thank you.
That, or mine it’s screwed up too...
Old 07-25-2020, 01:24 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

As long as it doesn't leak, I don't care!��
Old 07-25-2020, 01:38 PM   #12
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
As long as it doesn't leak, I don't care!��
Yeah, no, I was just kidding, I have no leaks. After our first rain when our RV was new, I went out and checked everywhere, just in case they missed a seal somewhere, or, the roof leaked. All was good.
Old 07-25-2020, 06:45 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

Mine’s the same. No leaks. Just squeaks.
Old 07-25-2020, 06:56 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Thank each of you who have reassured me that ours is normal. As a newbie buying a used unit, I just didn't know what was normal....��
Old 07-25-2020, 08:22 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

Point to relieve the minds a bit?
The slides are not something that come to a point and then automatically turn off but do it a bit different which needs to change the way we think of operating the slides. Looking at a few videos of the operation, I see it is a setup where we do not use a switch to decide when to stop but the motor design is made so that we do a bit of "overload" and the motor are expected to allow for running a bit longer than it takes to fully close the slide. If/when we get into a situation where one side of the slide is off from the other, we are instructed to run the slide in and out and make sure to press the button for a bit longer than we think the slide needs and this is the way the motors scyn for correct operation!
So when running in or out, hold the button and don't worry about heating the motor, etc. as that is the recommended operation!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 08:52 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the instruction and information. I will do it that way from now on...
Old 07-25-2020, 09:00 PM   #17
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
Point to relieve the minds a bit?
The slides are not something that come to a point and then automatically turn off but do it a bit different which needs to change the way we think of operating the slides. Looking at a few videos of the operation, I see it is a setup where we do not use a switch to decide when to stop but the motor design is made so that we do a bit of "overload" and the motor are expected to allow for running a bit longer than it takes to fully close the slide. If/when we get into a situation where one side of the slide is off from the other, we are instructed to run the slide in and out and make sure to press the button for a bit longer than we think the slide needs and this is the way the motors scyn for correct operation!
So when running in or out, hold the button and don't worry about heating the motor, etc. as that is the recommended operation!
Isn’t that just for synchronization, if the slide is out of whack? It’s not to be used each time, correct?
Old 07-26-2020, 10:03 AM   #18
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyatt View Post
Isn’t that just for synchronization, if the slide is out of whack? It’s not to be used each time, correct?

Morich is right.

It should be done each time you extend or retract the slide. Hold the switch for at least 5 seconds and you can hold it longer as it will not damage the slide. Holding the switch for 5 seconds or longer, as stated, allows the motors to sync.

You may notice when retracting the slides and they snug up that the motor will run a few seconds longer. It is the controller syncing the motors.

Also, do not change directions when extending or retracting the slide except in an emergency situation. If you have to stop the slide, continue in the same direction until it reaches its limits, then change directions.

I had a motor fail and ended up at LCI in Elkhart. Technicians at LCI are the ones that told me the procedure.

Your closest LCI dealer would be a Gaffney, NC. If you decide to go there for any reason call first as LCI shut down 15 locations.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 10:12 AM   #19
Winnebago Camper

Thank you, Wayne. So much knowledge out there in the Winniebago community. You all are a tremendous resource!
Old 07-26-2020, 11:35 AM   #20
Winnebago Master

p.s., you should always watch your slide come in or go out. There should never be a big difference between the sides. More than two inches (and even two inches) is dangerous and should be investigated before continuing.

Always check the surrounding area for obstructions, especially children's toys or pet toys. I always do a cursory inspection before operating the slides. You can only imagine the power of those slide motors.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide