Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-19-2021, 09:05 AM   #21
Site Team

I doubt the inverter needs to be on to charge from the alternator. The charger function in inverter/chargers is totally separate from the inverter portion of the unit and the charger works anytime you are plugged into shore power or generator.

The alternator is a "charger" on it's own is is connected directly to the batteries.

I don't have any experience with Sprinter chassis motorhomes but I think that there is a fuse under the driver's chair that can fail and house batteries will not charge from the alternator. I have also heard sometimes it's not the fuse but a BIM solenoid.

I hope I'm correct with this, but wanted to mention it just in case it helps.

This video below is for a non-Winnebago coach so the control panels shown are totally different, etc. But the fuse under the seat should be similar.

Old 06-19-2021, 09:57 PM   #22
Winnebago Owner

Thanks Creativepart. I can state for a fact that I must turn on my inverter to charge my batteries from shore power. I think the same is true for charging from the Mercedes motor running.
Dmarcian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 10:28 PM   #23
Site Team

Looking at the 2020 View Operators Manual I think we may be talking about two different things.

The inverter/charger rotary disconnect must be on for charging when on shore power or on generator power, but not the Inverter on/off on the inverter control panel. The rotary disconnect disconnects the batteries from the inverter charger. The inverter control panel has an inverter on/off switch, true but that’s for inverting 12v DC battery power into 110v AC power not for charging.

The two switches are not the same. You can turn on the inverter/charger rotary disconnect and not “turn on the inverter.”

And i really do believe the alternator should charge your house batteries directly, not using the inverter/charger. That’s the way this normally operates on vehicles with alternators.

(Not including B2B chargers added by an owner for specific special charging chores.)
Old 06-20-2021, 07:47 AM   #24
Winnebago Owner

Thanks, I will try to figure out why the chassis motor isn’t charging the batteries this week.
Dmarcian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 10:09 AM   #25
Winnebago Master

We're also having problems getting the Sprinter engine to charge our coach's lithium batteries.

Lichtsinn did repairs on this in April - and a few weeks later it wasn't working again.

Fortunately, we have 480W of solar panels on the roof that can help charging during the day, and can run our diesel generator for an hour or two to charge the coach batteries, if needed.
rprochnow is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electrical