Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-03-2005, 04:47 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

We have an 04 40 Ad Horizon and that particular Model has quite a blind spot when turning right. Has anyone seen the new side view cameras on the 06 Models? Do you think they could be retrofitted?
hogbreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 04:47 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

We have an 04 40 Ad Horizon and that particular Model has quite a blind spot when turning right. Has anyone seen the new side view cameras on the 06 Models? Do you think they could be retrofitted?
Old 09-04-2005, 09:40 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

As a matter of fact, I have been very interested in the Sony Side View camera that River Park has on their web site.

I just haven't taken the time to call them and ask about the price, or if it is compatable with the VCB-MHD1 monotor we have. I think it is, but not sure. Don't think mounting it would be a big issue.

--John

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 02:49 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by hogbreth:
We have an 04 40 Ad Horizon and that particular Model has quite a blind spot when turning right. Has anyone seen the new side view cameras on the 06 Models? Do you think they could be retrofitted? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We have the three cameras on our new HR and find them very handy. You can activate them manually or automatically with the turn signals. In addition the back camera has to buttons to adjust it up and down - so you can look at the traffic when travelling or closer in when backing up. They should be standard on all MHs.
Old 09-15-2005, 05:42 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Talked to Riverpark and they said the new camera would be compatible with the VCB-MHD1 monitor. I'm ordering a right side monitor for my 2004 AD with the intention of hooking it up to the "C" position on the monitor. Let you know how it goes.
Old 09-15-2005, 05:47 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Wow - exactly what I want to do! How much was the camera? Did you order it directly from them?

You beat me to the call to Riverpark!

Old 09-15-2005, 11:43 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

After my discussion with Riverpark they directed me to RV Cams in Baton Rouge,LA to purchase the parts since they are to the trade only. Tim at RV Cams seemed very nice abd will ship out the Parts tomorrow. Here are the numbers,
1. CHMH51-01P Camera and Housing. P=Pax D=Driver side
2. CVSHRN1-15 15' Cable
The Camera and cable was $226.80. The entire system with 2 cameras and box that ties into the turn signal is $ 550.00
I'll work on it next week.
Old 09-15-2005, 11:45 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Sorry I forgot. The telephone number for Tim at RV Cams is 877-378-2267. They are also on line.
Old 09-15-2005, 12:59 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

YeeHAW - I got me another project I'll call him tomorrow. Are you buying left and right cameras? Can you just plug one camera into the monitor and activate it using the A-B-C switch? I'm not sure if I want the turn signal switching camera views for me.

Old 09-15-2005, 03:44 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

I am buying just the Passenger side camera and hooking it to the "C" input on the monitor. When I make a left turn {as you know with an AD} It's a little iffy depending on the angle of the Coach and no Pax. Select C and check out the oncoming traffic. Tying it to the turn signal would defeat the purpose unless you turned on the right turn signal when you intend to turn left.
Old 09-16-2005, 09:09 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

okay! One side camera on the way! Had a delightful chat with Tim at RVcams - a really nice fellow. He is a displaced chemical engineer I believe he said.

Let me know how your install goes John. Do you know where Winnie is mounting the side view cams on the 06 models?

Oh - BTW - Tim's stock of Sony side view cameras has gone from two to now zero! You and I cleaned him out!

Old 09-18-2005, 05:32 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

We just completed our first trip in our new '06 Journey 36G. It has the side view cameras & I just love them! Lane changing is much easier now with those extra "eyes" helping me see what's on the road. If you upgrade yours, you'll be very happy.
JandM1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005, 06:01 PM   #13
Winnie-Wise

We also just completed our first trip with triple cameras. To my surprise I did not use the automatic feature as much as I expected. I started thinking about the reason for this and have concluded it is the left mirror position. In our 39W the left mirror was at the side and I found I turned my head to the side when I used it. With our new unit the left side mirror is out front just like the right side mirror and I find I use it much more, as well as more effectively. No head movement is required and I regularly glance at it as I do with the rear view mirror in a car.

The side cameras are pretty good though. I found that a car would be passing the front of the MH and would still be half on the screen. What I really like about my new system (B&W not colour - which seems fine) is the fact that the rear camera can be adusted up and down with two buttons. Really nice on the highway for a longer distance view and then when backing up I turn it down so I get a much better view of my driveway or the site I'm backing on to - or when I'm travelling to check the tow bar and connections.
Old 09-19-2005, 12:14 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Can anyone show a picture of where these cameras are mounted. I orderd the right side and I'm curious as to where the manufacturers mounted these units. I assume it is on the front cap around waist high?
Thanks
John
Old 09-19-2005, 03:01 PM   #15
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by hogbreth:
Can anyone show a picture of where these cameras are mounted. I orderd the right side and I'm curious as to where the manufacturers mounted these units. I assume it is on the front cap around waist high?
Thanks
John </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Winnies brochure in PDF does not include a photo of a unit with the cameras but if you look at this photo you will see where HR has positioned them. Look just below and behind the headlights and just above the yellow lower running lights.

Camera
Old 09-19-2005, 03:18 PM   #16
Winnebago Master

Thanks
John </div></BLOCKQUOTE>John - I think I'm going to call Winnie tomorrow and ask them. My thought is to mount the camera high like the rear camera. A likely place is just below and slightly aft (an inch or two) of the leading edge of the door awning. The cable can enter the interior of the coach and be hidden by the pillar trim. I'll let you know what I find out.

Don - I don't understand why the camera is mounted so low. What kind of a view do you get?

Old 09-20-2005, 09:31 AM   #17
Winnebago Master

John,

That's so low flying missiles can't evade detection.

But seriously, if it's for traffic, why not put it at traffic height. That way you don't have to tilt it down and have a blind spot below the camera. Maybe try mounting in various spots with bubblegum and have DW drive the Jeep past you.
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 09:52 AM   #18
Winnebago Master

I can adjust my bottom convex mirrors to see everything that a camera can see.

Do you know that the bottom mirror can be adjusted independent of the larger top mirror???
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 10:03 AM   #19
Winnebago Master

Tom - I agree. I can even see my front step retract, but then I'm driving a 'shortie' 36.

Actually, I was hoping one of the project guys would try the VORAD radar system. FMCA June edition has a good article on it. The SmartCruise sounds very interesting.
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 10:41 AM   #20
Winnebago Master

I actually talked to VORAD marketing about the system several months ago. The smart cruise feature really appealed to me There were two large hurdles: Finding a dealer to install was difficult and the cost was in the stratosphere - about $5,000 bucks.

Tom N - hey - some of us like gadgets and I'm doing my part to prop up the economy.

Other Tom - Exactly the plan we have for determining mounting location. I talked to Winnie service this morning about where they are mounting the side cameras on Vectra/Horizons, but he could not find out. He could not find a Vectra/Horizon on the assembly line! There were gassers with the side view camera, but that doesn't help me. He also checked with ship-out and none of the Vectra/Horizons there had the side camera option. There are also no brochure pictures availble.

My last resort is a call I made to Mark at the visitor center. Still waiting to hear back from him.