Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-20-2005, 10:52 AM   #21
Winnebago Master

John - was just looking at the installation manual on the VORAD site. If you only want the smart cruise, you only have one sensor to mount and a bit of wiring. Doesn't seem too tough for a talented DIYer like you. Did you get a price without the side sensors and DIY install? I believe FMCA quoted $5000 for a full system installed.
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 11:12 AM   #22
Winnebago Master

Whoops - that was $5500 - $6500 in the FMCA article. But it's only money AND it's safety related...
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 12:12 PM   #23
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom N:
I can adjust my bottom convex mirrors to see everything that a camera can see.

Do you know that the bottom mirror can be adjusted independent of the larger top mirror??? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Surely everyone has known that since day one haven't they? Hard to imagine not knowing it since use of the power controls does not move the bottom convex sections.

I think you'd better try the 3 camera system before you make a defintive statement. You might get a surprise.
Old 09-21-2005, 10:27 AM   #24
Winnebago Owner

Well I received the Camera and Cable last night. I went to the MH today and tried it out By removing the dash Hooking the cable to the back of the Monitor ran it out the door and secured the cameraon the side. Hooray it actually all works, plugs were right and everything. I went to Suncoast RV in Cocoa and they had a unit with the Cameras installed down low on the front cap by the headlight. Left the cover at the dealer for paint and will finish the install later.
hogbreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 11:26 AM   #25
Winnebago Master

Good deal John. I got my camera yesterday and had a few minutes to play with it today trying out different positions.

I did hear back indirectly from Mark at the Winne visitor's center about where the factory mounts them. Seems like they go in the same place as in the gassers - in-line with the basement door trim just in front of the passenger door. The basement door trim is that horizontal strip that runs the length of the coach just above the basement doors.

This seems to work best; better than mounting it high (underneath the door awning) and pointing down.

When we have a break in the rain, I'll get it mounted. This should be a very easy install. I am going to use the coach touch-up paint to paint the outer shell. Should blend in nicely and not look out of place.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 11:43 AM   #26
Winnebago Master

Can you tell me what type of plug the camera uses to connect to the monitor???

I want to run my laptop video to my monitor so I can view my mapping software in the B position.

I looked at my monitor and it looked like S video. I got an S video to RCA cnnector. But it is not S video.
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 02:12 PM   #27
Winnebago Master

Tom - Tim at RV CAMS (877-378-2267) apparently has adapters for the Sony monitors to provide composite video input (like an RCA-type jack). This is according to John (aka hogbreth) earlier in this thread I believe.

The real trick is getting composite video out from your laptop; NOT PC monitor out. I believe some high-end laptops have composite video outputs, most do not. It is funny - I was thinking of doing the same thing last night when I read a thread at the VMSpc forum. Somebody wanted to output his engine data on the backup monitor.

I believe there are PCMCIA cards that will provide composite video out. It is easy to find PCMCIA cards that will give you another monitor out, finding the other is much harder.

Old 09-21-2005, 03:28 PM   #28
Winnebago Master

My Gateway has s-video out and I have a short s-video to RCA video composite cable.

I know RVCams has the an adapter (VCB-AV12) that goes from a standard audio/video device to one of the Sony's three camera inputs. It's $18.
I was searching for the adapter at a lower price.
Old 09-22-2005, 03:40 AM   #29
Winnebago Master

Aaaaah - you are indeed a lucky man! If I wanted to do what you are considering, I would have to spend dozens of dollars to convert monitor out to composite/s-video.

I had no idea that the adapter even existed until hogbreth mentioned it.

Old 09-23-2005, 09:16 AM   #30
Winnebago Owner

Hey, John Canfield I mounted the camera today on the front CAP just forward of the mating strip between the front cap and the side wall forward of the front door. Looks Good . I picked up the painted housing yesterday. Now to route the cable inside. I'm considering running the cable across to the driver side, drill a hole into the electronics bay and then up through the floor with all the other wires but I'm not sure there is enough cable it will be close. Your thoughts please.
Old 09-23-2005, 03:50 PM   #31
Winnebago Master

John - Wow - I got mine installed today also. I took a bunch of pictures of the install. I entered the cabin behind the panel in front of the co-pilot seat. I figured out how to remove it which made life 1,000% easier. This panel is the one with the 2-way radios (assuming you have those.)

My mounting spot was directly in front of the door and I drilled the hole to enter the cabin directly. My pictures will say it all. I'll get them up asap.

Old 09-24-2005, 10:37 AM   #32
Winnebago Owner

Well I finished the Camera install and I'm very pleased. You can access the inside of the Coach from the front firewall where the black expandadable foam covers holes through the firewall.
Old 09-24-2005, 10:49 AM   #33
Winnebago Master

Good going John! Did you take any pictures? I'm going to get mine posted probably tomorrow.

Old 09-28-2005, 10:12 AM   #34
Winnebago Master

Poor man's ($179) side view camera OR rear view camera.

6.5-Inch TFT LCD Car RearView Mirror Monitor

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=RV651-NP