Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-02-2021, 08:53 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Question Should I run the other direction?

I'm seriously looking at purchasing a 2004 Itasca impulse 31c. The roof in the front, over the cab and bunk area seems to have the caulking come out. The owner put on some very heavy duty sealing tape (looks kind of like duct tape but MUCH thicker and with a dense foam like feel, and very sticky)
I was not able to find any leaks or areas with leaks inside it.
The owner seemed to say that this could be repaired easily.
In general the seams on things look well caulked but not expertly done.
Anything I should keep in mind? Risk of the roof flying off?

I am getting the vehicle inspected at a mechanic, but they probably won't have a strong opinion on this.

Thanks your your help, I'm a new poster here as you can see. Looks like a great community.
GreenTechGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 09:41 AM   #2
Site Team

Maybe. And yes, the roof can blow off.

Hopefully, your mechanic will have a very strong opinion if he's an RV mechanic. If all he's looking at is the drivetrain then you don't have the correct guy doing the inspection.

It's not the chassis (engine, drivetrain, etc) that usually goes wrong. It's the "house" built upon that chassis that has been rocking down the road for 16+ years that needs the inspection. (Engines and brakes and transmissions do fail, it's just vastly less often.)

Roof
Sealants
Plastic parts on the roof
Windows
Doors
Plumbing
Electrical
etc, etc

All the things a home inspector would look at. That's what needs to be inspected. And, if it's your first RV then you need an inspector that will take you by the hand and show you not only that everything works but how to work everything.

PS. I moved your post out of that Vista Class A thread. It's always better to start a new thread to discuss a new topic.
Old 03-03-2021, 04:37 AM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks CreativePart these are some good thoughts! and sorry if hijaking the prior thread some!
Yes they are experienced with RVs so hopefully they WILL be able to opine on those "house" issues. Curious if anyone else has other thoughts. Seemed like the model was similar and wanted to see if the roof failure was a "known issue" for this type. I have some experience with liveaboard yachts, but yes RVs are new to me.
Thanks all for the help!
GreenTechGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 02:17 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Roof repairs are not difficult but they are definitely time consuming and so the labor cost will be high. Different RV manufacturers have different approaches to RV roofs and it changes over the years. I would look for owners groups on forums to learn about any issues with the roof.
A RV service shop can provide you with a quote for the repair work and you can then use this to negotiate on price.
Elkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 02:32 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenTechGeo View Post
In general the seams on things look well caulked but not expertly done.
Anything I should keep in mind? Risk of the roof flying off?
Yes PRICE!!!!

You obviously like the coach otherwise because you say you are serious abo0uit buying.

I would 1st left my professional inspector do his job and provi8de written report. I would then tell seller I wish to have all of the work reviewed by service center(s) to see what total cost of getting everything that is of concern fixed.

I would then deduct from current price and make my offer. I wouldn't exactly run away but I would move on. On wiggle room I would have is to negotiate the costs of the repairs. I think the repair amount will ultimately dictate if you run or walkaway from this deal.

Good luck
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3; Roadmaster Nighthawk 676; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; Southwire EMS 44270/34951 Display 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 04:26 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Check out this channel on youtube.

There are a lot of roof inspections and you can see some of the problems you may have to deal with.
cruizerEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 02:56 PM   #7
Wheelcrazy

It sounds to me that the owner may have used a product called Eturnabond which can come in rolls that look similar to duct tape. This is a very well known and commonly used product that does a good job of sealing seams. Make sure you inspect that area very carefully on the inside of the coach looking for water stains that would indicate damage. If there is no indication of water damage inside I would not be overly concerned about it.