Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-14-2019, 01:13 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Sewer hose in bumper

Just bought a 2019 Minnie Winnie and having trouble fitting my sewer hose inside bumper as advertised. It appears that there are two small plates inside the bumper that connect the bumper to the chassis is keeping the orange fitting to pass through. Anyone else experienced this issue? Would like to know of any solutions. We upgraded from a Dutchmen 5th wheel and never had any problems like this.
Minniejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 06:14 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Check out the post I made on 4-16-19. It’s beyond imagination that Winnebago would deliver units with an unusable bumper. It’s crazy.
Old 06-14-2019, 11:27 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

A few months ago a member of this forum named JoeC posted his solution for this problem. It involved obtaining a 5 inch square, 8 foot long PVC fence post cover from Lowes along with a couple caps for it. He mounted it crosswise under the back of his Minnie Winnie partway between the rear wheels and the back bumper. He says its the cat's meow now!

I'm going to do the same to my Minnie Winnie in the next week or two.
Old 06-15-2019, 08:21 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I’ve decided to eliminate the big sewer hose. I’m doing my research right now and I’m going to convert to a sewage pump. There are many brands, Flojet Macerator Pumps, Remco and Shurflo. My Dad has one of these units factory installed on his big 5th Wheel. He texted the brands above to research. Hook up a garden hose, press a button and purge the tank. Makes sense to me. Hopefully some of our RV Friends can comment on their Sewage Pump experiences.
Old 06-15-2019, 12:32 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kacordy View Post
I’ve decided to eliminate the big sewer hose. I’m doing my research right now and I’m going to convert to a sewage pump. There are many brands, Flojet Macerator Pumps, Remco and Shurflo. My Dad has one of these units factory installed on his big 5th Wheel. He texted the brands above to research. Hook up a garden hose, press a button and purge the tank. Makes sense to me. Hopefully some of our RV Friends can comment on their Sewage Pump experiences.

Before you make your decision, check out Sewer Solutions. Its water powered and I believe much less expensive than those involving an electric pump. I have one and am quite happy with it although I still carry the "stinky slinky" for any situation where it might be more practical.
Old 06-15-2019, 11:01 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I have both 5 x 5" PVC fence post solution with a PVC rain gutter section added as a drawer. Makes it even simpler. I have done this on both RVs. I also have a Flojet macerator pump with garden hose. Both solutions work well in different cases. If staying at a site for more than a few days the regular hose is great for dumping wastes. Allows greater use of city water without concern for tank levels. We do not leave the black water gate open.

When in dry camps with the 5th I use the macerator pump to transfer waste water to a 42 gal transfer tank in the back of the pickup. Also have a 60gal water bladder I use to bring fresh water back to the 5th. This is transferred via a spare water pump. In this configuration we stay out for extended periods without needing to move the 5th.
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 11:08 AM   #7
2019 Minnie Winnie 22M

I just bought a Minnie Winnie 22M and have the same issue. I was thinking over the winter to remove the bumber and mounting bracket. Take it to a local weld house and have them run a bead of weld around the bracket. Then I could remove the bolt and spacer. Hopefully keeping the heat input low as not to ruin the paint on bumber or distort it. I realize this may be a bit drastic but I may try it this winter
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 11:55 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I thought about the same thing but welding will burn the existing paint. It will have to be repainted. But a person could just paint a 1 foot stripe all the way around the bumper where those mounting plates are located. Either try to match the paint or uses a darker brown. I don’t think a 2 tone bumper would look 2 bad. I stopped by camping world yesterday and every other manufacturer welds the mounting brackets on.
Old 06-16-2019, 12:28 PM   #9
Winnebago Watcher

Great idea guys about welding. I guess when you unbolt from the fender, the spacer will fall out.
Minniejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 12:47 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

The bumper is very thin. Is it even weldable? I bet that’s why they bolt it on. Im curious about what it would cost to get a new one shipped by the other manufacturers? I bet it’s reasonable? It would be an easy solution. If a person ordered a new one, the challenge would be to get one delivered dent free and not trashed. I just ordered and installed a 10 foot commercial bench to work on in the garage. It has a 10 foot overhead LED light. They finally delivered the 3rd one on a pallet to protect it. The first two were destroyed.
Old 06-19-2019, 05:54 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Rear Bumper Sewer Holder.

I have a 2018 M22. I purchased the Camco #39144 Easy Slip Sewer Elbow + 4 - IN - 1 Adapter. Took off one end of my sewer hose and put the sewer elbow on the hose. When you put this end first into the rear bumper and hit the bolt head just give it a little turn and it will go by the bolt head. This way you can store the hose and connections in the original bumper with no problems and connect the hose to the sewer adapter when ready to use.
Paul18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 04:46 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Bumper

I also wrote about this problem to Winnebago. They basically answered that the sewer hose sold by them would fit. Maybe since Winnebago decided to bolt the bumper on they could have increased the size of the bumper by 1/2". Wait until you go to check the tire pressure of the inner dual wheels. Winnebago could have made an option to upgrade the valve stems so they would pass from the inner to outer wheel. The kit to do this is about $100. But since installing them now requires removing the price of that is $250 - $400. Seems like a lot of things that would have cost very little weren't skipped.
millards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 05:53 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Remove the carriage bolts, grind off the top and replace them.
Snakebite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 06:06 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

We have a 2018 Mini Winnie. To fit the hose in our bumper I disassemble the hose, leaving only one locking ring on the near end. I put the other parts into a storage container. Simply reassemble the hose to use. 5 minutes.
Pnutbutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 06:19 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Yes, I also have a 22m, easy solution buy titan hose with lock rings, Walmart and camping world have both with and without, unscrew one end slides right in, not a big problem, unless you just want t oil weld and paint your bumper, I've got other things I'd rather do lol.
kcscriv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 06:41 PM   #16
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by akeagle View Post
Before you make your decision, check out Sewer Solutions. Its water powered and I believe much less expensive than those involving an electric pump. I have one and am quite happy with it although I still carry the "stinky slinky" for any situation where it might be more practical.
Doesn't this waste a lot of water? This is a major issue for those of us who live in drought-plagued states.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 06:50 PM   #17
Pensioner

Sewer hose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minniejohn View Post
Just bought a 2019 Minnie Winnie and having trouble fitting my sewer hose inside bumper as advertised. It appears that there are two small plates inside the bumper that connect the bumper to the chassis is keeping the orange fitting to pass through. Anyone else experienced this issue? Would like to know of any solutions. We upgraded from a Dutchmen 5th wheel and never had any problems like this.
Mine won’t either. The hose is too big.
SnKPerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 07:28 PM   #18
Winnebago Camper

My 2014 Winnebago Lite Five 5th wheel's bumper works fine for storing hose. They must have changed design sometime after 2014.
mileshuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 07:39 PM   #19
Winnebago Owner

It is the two carraige bolts that hold it to the frame that keeps the hose from sliding in. If you just grind them down flat, the hose will slide right on by them. You don't need to leave much because the weight of the square tube is quite small.
Snakebite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 10:17 PM   #20
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by akeagle View Post
A few months ago a member of this forum named JoeC posted his solution for this problem. It involved obtaining a 5 inch square, 8 foot long PVC fence post cover from Lowes along with a couple caps for it. He mounted it crosswise under the back of his Minnie Winnie partway between the rear wheels and the back bumper. He says its the cat's meow now!

I'm going to do the same to my Minnie Winnie in the next week or two.

I just finished that sewer hose storage project. Works like a charm!