Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-23-2020, 02:13 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

Secure screen door

When I looked at a video of the new Winnebago EKKO I noticed that it had a screen door with screening that was made from some strong metal (steel perhaps) and was lockable. My wife has been asking me to find some way to secure the screen door in our Winnie Fuse so we could nap with the main door open and feel safe, but I have never found anything that would work.

I can buy a simple bolt at HomeDepot or Lowes to keep the flimsy screen door from easily opening but it is still a flimsy screen door and the plastic door slide allows anyone to reach in and unbolt whatever I got from the hardware store to secure it. Does anyone know where I could get a secure screen door to fit the Fuse? I assume someone out there makes them, probably custom for different RVs and probably pricey, but I have no idea where to look and Google has not been my friend in this search.
AJMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 03:18 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Why not ask Winnebago if the EKKO door will fit your Fuse?
Winterbagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 04:20 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterbagoal View Post
Why not ask Winnebago if the EKKO door will fit your Fuse?
That is an interesting suggestion. Thanks for the suggestion.

It never occurred to me that it might fit for several reasons, including the lack of a housing for the bolt when the door is locked but it is probably worth checking.

Still, I can't help but think that others might want to securely lock their screen doors so they can sleep with the coach door open and the screen door locked so I suspect that there are some places that make these doors, if I could only find them.
Old 11-23-2020, 05:44 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Camping World has them.....
https://www.campingworld.com/maintai...lacement-doors

I used this search "camper door replacement" and got a few hits.

https://www.google.com/search?ei=V1a...sclient=psy-ab
Old 11-24-2020, 07:14 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Camping World has them.....
https://www.campingworld.com/maintai...lacement-doors

I used this search "camper door replacement" and got a few hits.

https://www.google.com/search?ei=V1a...sclient=psy-ab
That appears to be a replacement door for the screen door, but not a secure replacement door.

What we are looking for is a lockable door with screening material that you can not cut with a knife or razor blade - a door similar to those secure screen doors you can buy for your house, but one for the RV.
Old 11-24-2020, 07:45 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Could you get someone to spot weld/bolt on a stronger screening material on the outside or inside of your existing door to provide more resistance to b&e? Then go with your deadbolt option?
Sorry, just throwing out ideas.
It appears it's not going to be an easy mod to find "off the shelf".
Old 11-24-2020, 07:59 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Could you get someone to spot weld/bolt on a stronger screening material on the outside or inside of your existing door to provide more resistance to b&e? Then go with your deadbolt option?
Sorry, just throwing out ideas.
It appears it's not going to be an easy mod to find "off the shelf".
That might be something to look into, but the problem with the existing door is two-fold. First, the screening material is flimsy and can easily be cut with a knife or razor blade and, second, the plastic slide in the door is designed to allow the owner to simply reach in and open the door. Both of those prevent the door from being secure. Adding a bolt mechanism would not solve the second problem unless we also removed the plastic slide mechanism.

The new EKKO has a screen door which appears to be made of the same material that they use on our home screen door and is key-lockable, so it is secure enough to leave the RV with the regular door open and the screen door locked even if we wanted to go out for a long walk, and that would allow us to keep the inside cool for our cat who, not particularly willingly, travels with us. And, of course, it would allow us to take a nap during the day, keep the inside of the RV cool and keep us secure while we slept.

I am interested in replacing the screen door with something secure, but I would rather not have to replace the entire RV with the new EKKO to do it ...
Old 11-24-2020, 09:47 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJMike View Post
That might be something to look into, but the problem with the existing door is two-fold. First, the screening material is flimsy and can easily be cut with a knife or razor blade and, second, the plastic slide in the door is designed to allow the owner to simply reach in and open the door. Both of those prevent the door from being secure. Adding a bolt mechanism would not solve the second problem unless we also removed the plastic slide mechanism.

The new EKKO has a screen door which appears to be made of the same material that they use on our home screen door and is key-lockable, so it is secure enough to leave the RV with the regular door open and the screen door locked even if we wanted to go out for a long walk, and that would allow us to keep the inside cool for our cat who, not particularly willingly, travels with us. And, of course, it would allow us to take a nap during the day, keep the inside of the RV cool and keep us secure while we slept.

I am interested in replacing the screen door with something secure, but I would rather not have to replace the entire RV with the new EKKO to do it ...

I probably have the same screen door as you, so I understand the mechanics of the issue. I'm not sure how, short of getting one custom made to your strength and durability requirements, at a big box reno store like Home Depot or Lowes, or even if they do that sort of thing? You could maybe measure up your door as precisely as possible and try one of them? I can't imagine Winnebago desiged the screen doors in these things to any oddball specs, they're probably made en masse to regular door specs for perimeter, hinge and bolt sizes and locations, but I've never considered doing what you're proposing. That said, it's not a bad idea, just not easy to figure out the solution without some more research.
We have a "doesn't travel well" cat ourselves, so I get that part. He usually settles down after a few miles/hours, and he knows all the best hiding spots throughout the Navion. He's travelled in all 3 of our motorhomes, but he seems to do the best in the Navion.
Old 11-24-2020, 11:31 AM   #9
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
That appears to be a replacement door for the screen door, but not a secure replacement door.

What we are looking for is a lockable door with screening material that you can not cut with a knife or razor blade - a door similar to those secure screen doors you can buy for your house, but one for the RV.
Can you re-screen it with a fine wire mesh, and install a lock at the top, where no one could reach?
Old 11-24-2020, 12:43 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
That said, it's not a bad idea, just not easy to figure out the solution without some more research.
There is a welding shop in town that does some custom work and specializes in RVs so I will see what I can find out. I suspect that I can get it done but the cost will be prohibitive.

Quote:
We have a "doesn't travel well" cat ourselves, so I get that part. He usually settles down after a few miles/hours, and he knows all the best hiding spots throughout the Navion. He's travelled in all 3 of our motorhomes, but he seems to do the best in the Navion.
We got our current cat about 18 months ago from people who seemed anxious to get rid of her so I don't know what might have been going on, and it took her some time to get used to living with us.

The first time we put her in the RV for a trip she really did not want to go and tried repeatedly to get out and back in the house, but she seems to have learned that although we may spend anything from one or two days to 2 weeks in it we always come home and she now puts up with it, although without much good grace. She travels next to one of the "captain's chairs" and only bothers to get up and go around when we stop for the day, but she apparently recognizes the smell of the desert and when we get back home she is up at the window ready to get back into the house.

Traveling with any pet is a challenge but I suspect a cat is probably less trouble than a dog in an RV. Smaller, quieter and more reclusive, and no need to walk her.
Old 11-24-2020, 03:33 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
There is a welding shop in town that does some custom work and specializes in RVs so I will see what I can find out. I suspect that I can get it done but the cost will be prohibitive.

We got our current cat about 18 months ago from people who seemed anxious to get rid of her so I don't know what might have been going on, and it took her some time to get used to living with us.

The first time we put her in the RV for a trip she really did not want to go and tried repeatedly to get out and back in the house, but she seems to have learned that although we may spend anything from one or two days to 2 weeks in it we always come home and she now puts up with it, although without much good grace. She travels next to one of the "captain's chairs" and only bothers to get up and go around when we stop for the day, but she apparently recognizes the smell of the desert and when we get back home she is up at the window ready to get back into the house.

Traveling with any pet is a challenge but I suspect a cat is probably less trouble than a dog in an RV. Smaller, quieter and more reclusive, and no need to walk her.
I'm thinking I'll hit the big box reno stores and see if they do custom fit security screen doors for motorhomes. You never know until you ask? If they don't they might know someone who does.
Our cat usually howls for about 30 minutes, and then heads to the bedroom to find safety under one of the throw blankets/sleeping bags. The only issue with our cat besides that, is the litter box. He's an indoor cat, and if he got out he wouldn't last long. Basically a spoiled cat. We've managed to slot it in behind the passenger cab chair, and it's not purrfect, but it works. Food and water is easy peasy. Bottled water as required, and we bought an automatic pet feeder to dispense kibble. It sits behind the driver's side cab chair and is powered off the inverter. We've had ours since 2005, a rescue kitten. Slowing down but still a factor.
Old 11-29-2020, 05:54 PM   #12
Just Ama

Quote:
When I looked at a video of the new Winnebago EKKO I noticed that it had a screen door with screening that was made from some strong metal (steel perhaps) and was lockable. My wife has been asking me to find some way to secure the screen door in our Winnie Fuse so we could nap with the main door open and feel safe, but I have never found anything that would work.

I can buy a simple bolt at HomeDepot or Lowes to keep the flimsy screen door from easily opening but it is still a flimsy screen door and the plastic door slide allows anyone to reach in and unbolt whatever I got from the hardware store to secure it. Does anyone know where I could get a secure screen door to fit the Fuse? I assume someone out there makes them, probably custom for different RVs and probably pricey, but I have no idea where to look and Google has not been my friend in this search.
While doing a search, I found this that might be what you are looking for. It shows a secure, lockable screen door.
https://roamsafe.com.au/
AzLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 06:13 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzLady View Post
While doing a search, I found this that might be what you are looking for. It shows a secure, lockable screen door.
Nice find. I wonder if shipping is free?
Old 11-29-2020, 06:45 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

I did some looking and they are pricey but my bigger thought is how they are made as most things that you can see through are not that strong.
Have you found what material the screen is made of? Most seem to be very easy to cut with the normal knife blade. I see no mention of materials used in the center portion.
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 07:29 PM   #15
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Nice find. I wonder if shipping is free?
Looks like you’re in luck...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A7647940-2F5A-437C-AAD2-6D70863AF7B8.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	222.0 KB
ID:	176045  
Old 11-30-2020, 12:15 AM   #16
Winnebago Master

Quote:

Our cat is a bit uncomfortable in the first few hours of a trip, but thankfully he will eventually settle down and explore for places to look outside or to nap. Upon occasion, especially in a campground, he would get in the stepwell on the bottom step and try pushing on the screen door. He's an indoor cat and we're not sure why he'd want to go out other to explore, but that's not going to happen.

Anyway, we looked at RV screen door grills (or grates) and bought one with filegree design and openings too small for him to wiggle through. It adjustable and screws to the vertical rails of the screen door. Looks pretty decent and keeps the cat in check.

If you're also concerned about security in general, I suppose a second one of those grills could be mounted on the upper part of the door too. Let's face it though, those screen doors are not very strong at all and this would only slow a determined break in artist for a minute or two.

As for the flimsy screen door latching mechanism, I don't have a solution for that yet, but I'm thinking about it.
Old 11-30-2020, 07:44 AM   #17
Just Ama

Not sure, but I think it might be. They are out of Australia, and the 'review' videos have a distinct accent. They all seemed very happy with their purchase, and though I think it's pretty expensive (around $900 for the door) the peace of mind may well be worth the price. Good Luck.
Old 11-30-2020, 09:29 AM   #18
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzLady View Post
Thank you for the post. It looks like exactly what I was looking for, although I had not expected it to be so pricey. Odd that no one in the US makes these.
Old 11-30-2020, 09:24 PM   #19
Just Ama

It is odd, since I think there are a lot of us who would gladly pay for a secure screen door. At least this company ships free from Australia. and gives pretty detailed instructions on how to install the door.
Old 12-01-2020, 05:14 PM   #20
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyatt View Post
Looks like you’re in luck...
Whoda thunk???

Tags
door, scr