Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-09-2018, 10:37 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

RV Protective Shield

Hi All! My wife and I have recently retired and are moving to stage 1 of our long awaited retirement plan - we have purchased a new 2018 Winnebago View 24D that we pick up in the spring. We have done a lot of research on what is best for us and I "think" we've spec'd out our perfect unit, (many thanks to the folks / threads on this site for that!!). But .... one question I can't find good guidance on is the application by the dealer of a hand applied "protective shield". Its' not cheap at almost $1,000 but the literature I've seen almost makes it seem like a "no-brainer" because of the 5 year warranty and the fact I don't need to wax or spend nearly as much time cleaning. Any thoughts by this group to help with our last decision on our View would be much appreciated.
Old 01-10-2018, 05:45 AM   #2
JBP
Winnie-Wise

My last unit had it. Seem to work well. It was a little easier to clean the dead bugs off of. My only problem is where I am in southern Texas I see people with older coach and a product similar to what we are talking about out there with hair dryers taking it off because he had yellowed so badly. To my way of thinking I'd use the thousand dollars elsewhere. My current unit unit doesn't have it and I have no intention of putting it on.
Congratulations on your new view I hope you enjoy it many happy trips.
JBP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 11:31 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Save your money. The dealer is trying to sell you something that is not particularly useful or long lived - but it is very profitable to the dealer. BTW, the 5 year warranty is worthless.

Your View comes with areas covered with protective film. For other areas, coat them with Rejex which will do a far better job for far less money.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 02:14 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Thanks so much for the quick replies. With literally 100's of decisions to make as new RV owners, it's so good to get help with the big ticket ones. Thanks!