Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-07-2019, 08:01 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

RV Cover

We've just purchased a '19 Navion 24D and should pick it up next week. We currently have a Casita travel trailer, which we enjoy, but we were looking for something a bit larger. After a lot of research and practical considerations, we picked the Winnebago.

This our first RV and I'm sure i will learn many valuable tips and lessons on this forum. To begin, I would like to buy a cover for my rig. My search of the forum didn't find any comments on this subject. .

Can anyone recommend a brand and size RV cover that would fit?

Thanks,
Bob
Skylake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 10:59 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylake View Post
We've just purchased a '19 Navion 24D and should pick it up next week. We currently have a Casita travel trailer, which we enjoy, but we were looking for something a bit larger. After a lot of research and practical considerations, we picked the Winnebago.

This our first RV and I'm sure i will learn many valuable tips and lessons on this forum. To begin, I would like to buy a cover for my rig. My search of the forum didn't find any comments on this subject. .

Can anyone recommend a brand and size RV cover that would fit?

Thanks,
Bob

I bought one through the dealer that sold us our 27Q and it came from ADCO. There are quite a few companies making RV covers but I was impressed with the quality and prices of their covers which are available in various styles, quality levels, and price points. The good ones are not cheap and if you live in an area that occasionally has high winds, don't get a cheap one, the wind will rip it to shreds. You could check online the covers carried by Camping World to get an idea of what you can get for whatever you're willing to pay. Wait to order one until you get your new rig and measure the actual length from bumper to bumper. (It will likely be a bit longer than 26'. Our 27Q actually measures 28.5").
Old 02-08-2019, 06:06 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Thanks Akeagle; good advice. We are scheduled to pick up our rv on Monday at Camping World. I see what they have and check other sources. I also heard Budge makes a quality product.

Aim high,
Bob
Old 02-08-2019, 02:02 PM   #4
2018 Minnie Winnie 22M

Adco Covers

I’ve been using Adco covers for years, and have watched the steady increase in quality and features. I have a 24’ Minnie Winnie 22M, and I got one of the covers with Tyvec for the rig my size - it’s not a custom - and I’m very impressed with all of the adjustments on the cover that allow me to tighten it well. And now, the covers can be unzipped to get inside without requiring you to actually lift it up and pull it off to get in the door. Wind and sharp edges will result in tears, however.

I got my Adco cover through Camping World, although it isn’t stocked in my local CW store, preferring their house brand. Given my experience with Adco covers, I couldn’t see any reason to switch brands, so I ordered a cover and had it shipped to me. I also use Adco covers for my wheels and the bonnet over the windshield.

Lee Hower - Sacramento
mcfflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 08:20 PM   #5
Let's kill some bugs!

FYI, installing an RV cover is a time consuming process if you've never owned one. You have to climb on top of the RV to install it, and you have to have a way to get the cover on top of the roof, in order to start that process. Having a helper is key. Climbing up the ladder is tedious enough, imagine carrying up a bulky 25'lb (my guess of what they weigh) while going up that skinny ladder.

I happen to park along the side of my garage, just 18" away. The garage roof just happen to have a peak at the right elevation that I could build a shelf under, making a handy cubby shelf, big enough to easily store the cover when I take it off. I could easily reach this cubby shelf to retrieve and store the cover I bought. I thought I had it all figured out. The eve cubby for the cover worked great, so that problem was solved. Then my first attempt to install it from the roof was almost impossible by yourself, due to the bulk of the cover. After installing it twice by myself, I decided the benefit of the cover didn't outweigh the risk of falling off the RV. It was just too cumbersome for me. I returned the cover to camping world, about $300 worth. I'm curious if others have gone through this learning curve.

One of the contributing factors to this decision is the number of times I would install it and take it off during the year, about 15 times. I live in So. Calif, so there isn't a bad time to take out the RV. Wintertime is ideal for taking the motorcycles and dune buggy to the desert, and summertime is ideal to travel up the coast, or taking the Seadoos to the Colorado river lakes. If I had to winterize my RV every year for 4-5mos, I might consider a cover during that time-frame, but in Calif it's just too much hassle, risk, and time consuming, as often as I go out.
John Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 03:11 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

We purchased an all weather cover from rvcovers.com. Was between $350 and $400. Worked and fits our RV just great. We have a Navion 24V. Not difficult to put on if you follow the instructions (you tube video provided). Yes, you do have to climb up the ladder and carry a portion of the cover, but overall, not difficult. Zippers and access areas work great and make it easy to get in and out of the RV while the cover is on. The only hard part was that we needed to take the cover off after having 8" of snow which obviously made removing the cover a bit more difficult. I brought a broom with me to push the snow off and the cover came off just fine. We purchased the 23.1" to 26 foot cover which fits our 24V perfectly. Hope this helps.
Catawampus34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 04:06 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

2 Cover or Skip and go bare.

Have had a plethora of RVs and some were covered and some not, some parked inside some in covered parking and some in the open. Main thing to worry about is varmints and birds and bugs. Birds and wasps are taken care of by the cover generally speaking. The field mice love it when you cover the rig, they have a fun time all over the place, even the odd squirrel will use your veiled palace as a nut stash!

If you can go to a fully covered storage big high five good, the structure should control for all the pests, next best option is in a covered parking with sides open again take care of pests on the outside, use some herbal remedies inside to keep mice etc out. We found some stuff at Rural King, has an earthy aroma (a sachet) and does not linger once aired out.

Spring traps with American Cheese glomed on to the trigger near the tires for insurance work well for insurance, if parking someplace for a while. Do make sure there is no pet cat wandering the premises. If there is then you have to go with glue traps or enclosed trap.

The cover is very vulnerable to wind buffeting and depending on how well made it is, it may chafe the body as well. The same goes for the bra, as the mrs stated as I was complaining about the scratches from a bra, now you know why those younger girls burned them back in the day! But gravity well I digress..

I'd venture that 50 plus percent of the covers take up residence in a storage canister well before they are worn out. The real Question is are the RV manufacturers that incompetent that in all these years they have yet to find a way to really make our units water proof to afford at least a 5 year maintenance cycle?
Old 02-09-2019, 04:21 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Just to add additional info - the reason we went with a cover is not only because we wanted to, it was recommended by our extended insurance appraiser who was from our area. He mentioned that due to all the ice and snow (we live in northern Wisconsin), freezing, thawing, freezing, that he is always extremely busy with claims in the spring due to leaks from uncovered RV's. For the $400, thought it was worth trying to protect our investment. I think if we didn't live in a snowy area, we may not opt to purchase one.
Old 02-09-2019, 04:44 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Here are the results of a searches on Winnieowners.com and IRV2.com on "cover". There should be enough info here to help you make a decision. Personally I've never used one and, aside from the hassle, would be concerned about trapping moisture inside. This could be especially problematical in Florida where mildew is probably an issue even without a cover.

https://www.google.com/search?safe=o...71.lKkG0wgpFpA

https://www.google.com/search?q=cove...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Note: I found these by using the Google search box at the top of this forum page. It's much better than the "search this forum" button. You could refine the search by searching on "RV cover" or "MH cover" but you might miss something. It's not too hard to sort out the postings on step and sink covers, etc.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 05:24 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

I have stored my 40 ft Journey outside with the same winter weather conditions as yours for 12 years with absolutely no weather related damage. I suspect the damage the adjuster was talking about was from poor manufacturing and just occurred earlier if stored outside. In my opinion, the cover itself is more likely to cause damage in windy conditions - by the cover continually contacting the coach. Good luck and be sure to read the experiences of others before you purchase.
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 06:06 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

We have used many covers over the years with different motorhomes and always on the cheap. Meaning that we were buying a new cover about every 2 years due to the AZ sun.

We have decided against a cover for our new to us Winnebago and will use plenty of Rejex instead.
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 05:40 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Thanks all for the good advice. Clearly there is no "right" answer, but you have provided much information to consider. We picked up our Navion from CW yesterday. Very disappointing experience, but that's another story.

Thanks again,
Bob
Old 02-13-2019, 08:00 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Oh no. Hopefully it was just CW, not the unit. You purchased a really good, well made rig and you will enjoy it.
Old 02-13-2019, 08:59 AM   #14
Site Team

RV covers are pushed by dealers, part sellers and cover manufacturers on new RV owners regularly but if you do a wider search of the pros/cons of RV covers on other RV forums, irv2.com for instance, you’ll find the majority of owners don’t use them and have no problems by not doing so.
Old 02-13-2019, 07:38 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Skylake: just read through the RV cover discussion. I have a 2018 24D (love it!) and we’ve gone through several learning experiences & I’d be happy to share them with you if you are interested. Concerning the cover, we didn’t go with one as we had an exterior paint sealant (5 year no fade no wax) plus the Winnebago 10 year warranty on the roof. Hopefully your cover allows for the solar panels to still get sunlight as that will help keep the coach batteries charged.
jcurtisis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 01:31 AM   #16
Winnebago Camper

I don’t know your location but I was considering a cover for our ‘17 View. It is stored outside at our home in CT. I wanted to provide shelter from snow, ice, rain and miscellaneous tree debris. What worked out for us was a carport type shelter erected on the gravel drive. It is a year round shelter and no trouble to use. It ran about $3800 for a shelter meeting codes for snow, wind, etc.
rv kayakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 05:43 AM   #17
RSowers

Cover

I just bought a class a motorhome and purchased an ADCO cover for it directly from ADCO. It was a pain to put on but I watched a very informative video on it that was great! It saved me a lot of trouble. I live in SD and I am forced to store the RV outside. I highly recommend a cover in this climate. It is cheap insurance. Go for it!

My buying experience was not good either. I can sympathize with your experience. I gave the company a mediocre review and that got their attention.
RaySowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 06:13 AM   #18
Micro Minnie 1800BH

I’ve had high quality covers on my previous motorhomes. On my newest, a 17VJ which is a big downsize, I’ve opted not to use one. The View has two vertical antennas and solar panels. I insisted it also has full body paint, not decals. I view the paint as my cover and a main benefit for me. No more fading, cracking decals.

Covers are heavy, bulky and difficult when you both put them on and take it off.....a hassle. I moved to Florida three years ago and use my View for many various uses now that I never did living in the Mid-Atlantic area. I work full time, yet use my motorhome far more with my Florida lifestyle. We do daytrips, golfing, cycling, beaches, parks, sporting events, winery’s and even Lowes. “Ain’t nobody got time” for a cover!
PWRving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 06:30 AM   #19
Winnebago Camper

ADCO is great - I did not use a cover for several years and sun and my neighrbors trees played havoc on both my roof and decals. Wish I had purchased it sooner
Old 02-14-2019, 08:30 AM   #20
Winnebago Camper

I too use and ADCO cover on my class a Winnebago. I'm very satisfied.
llcrooks is offline   Reply With Quote