Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-08-2022, 08:15 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

RV airflow systems

Has anyone installed an airflow system in the coach? If so what are the results that you have seen? is your A/C more efficient, better flow through the vents? I have a Minnie Winnie 31G, and the Texas summers are brutal.
BBQman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 09:59 AM   #2
Site Team

Please explain what "RV Airflow Systems" you are talking about. That would help us a lot.

And, as an FYI, no RV can withstand Texas Summers especially this summer. And, if you only have one A/C on the roof the only solution is to drive 1000 miles to higher elevation in Colorado.
Old 08-08-2022, 10:17 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

A friend of mine installed one in his Coleman and reported good results. I have one on hand, but my Winnie arrived w/ a GE AC unit up top.

Maybe the one I have on order will have the Coleman.
Old 08-08-2022, 10:21 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

I've installed one and didn't do any before and after tests but I noticed a substantial change in airflow. At least I think I did a good thing. The problem is the motorhome is in Alaska so I haven't been able to test it in "laboratory conditions". We don't use the AC too much at this point but we're taking it to Arizona this fall so anticipate much more use of it!
GearJerker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 10:21 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
Please explain what "RV Airflow Systems" you are talking about. That would help us a lot.

And, as an FYI, no RV can withstand Texas Summers especially this summer. And, if you only have one A/C on the roof the only solution is to drive 1000 miles to higher elevation in Colorado.
RV Airflow Systems

It's a custom foam insert that goes into the Coleman; replacing the baffle and associated parts. It streamlines and optimizes the airflow going through the system, increasing velocity and lowering sound/db.
Old 08-08-2022, 01:58 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

rvairflowsystem.com
Old 08-08-2022, 02:33 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Anyone try WackO version of this? I wonder which is better.

https://wackoproducts.com/
Jfedor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 05:02 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jfedor View Post
Anyone try WackO version of this? I wonder which is better.

https://wackoproducts.com/
My guess would be that the other products makes for smoother (and more) flowing air to exchange the heat. Not an engineer but I just did the self made close up the air a bit better using foam blocks and did it help - I guess and it quieted down. Only down side is i can't use the air dump straight down but likely got rid of leaks between intake and exhaust.
Old 08-08-2022, 05:32 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLUSoCal View Post
My guess would be that the other products makes for smoother (and more) flowing air to exchange the heat. Not an engineer but I just did the self made close up the air a bit better using foam blocks and did it help - I guess and it quieted down. Only down side is i can't use the air dump straight down but likely got rid of leaks between intake and exhaust.
Yeah I was thinking of trying that too. All the systems make you lose the air dump.
Jfedor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 07:54 AM   #10
Winnebago Vita 24P

I made my own air deflectors to the roof venting with foam board and HVAC tape. there was a substantial increase in air flow, noise maybe a little reduction because of the better air flow thru system. Mine cost less than $20 in materials. I also found that the ductwork for the channels was partially block do to poor quality control at the factory. So far very happy and a lot cheaper than Airworks device. If you view their video you get an idea of what their basic changes are.
Old 08-09-2022, 08:28 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

In our 2021 View 24D, I was able to improve airflow and reduce noise by using a combination of sticky-backed insulation and HVAC tape to secure the divider inside the unit (between the input and output sides) and smooth out the interior to eliminate areas creating turbulence/noise.

As long as it fits, the RV airflow solution would probably work better - but the DIY solution is much cheaper and probably gets close to the same results.

A better long term solution would be for the air conditioner design to be changed to correct the obvious design flaws causing leakage and unnecessary noise...
rprochnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 01:18 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Is there any product made for quieting down the ceiling ducted RV's? When the front units are on you can hardly have a conversation or hear the TV. When all three units are on you are in a wind tunnel!
Old 08-15-2022, 01:58 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

DIY vs RV AirFlow

In my previous Class C I tried to purchase the RV Airflow product, but they did not have one that fit my Coleman Mach with a 4" roof so I made my own and it really did help with the distribution through the ducts and seemed to cool better.

For my current Class A, RV Airflow modified a unit for me that fit. I installed it on the front A/C, but I found that it did not improve the air flow or the cooling so I recently removed it. The ducts in my Class A are about 2" narrower than those in the Class C which could have an impact.

One thing to keep in mind is that the ducts in an RV are generally closer to the hot roof (less insulation) and will be blowing warmer air than the dump port which is directly below the A/C.
DustyDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 02:34 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Can anyone give more details or pictures of their do it yourself versions? $170 is a lot of money of a piece of foam.
2MPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 08:46 AM   #15
Winnebago Camper

I ended up doing it myself with foamboard and metal tape. Air flow is much better.

Tags
ems