Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-22-2018, 12:41 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Rust in Stainless Steel Sinks

2014 Navion iQ 24V-Recently I noticed some rust spots in our sinks. They don't rub off with elbow grease and a teflon pad. One web site says make a paste of baking soda and vinegar and that will remove the rust. However, is it a good idea for baking soda and vinegar to go into my gray water tank? that said, any ideas on how to stop odors in your gray water tank? (I am trying now to do a better job of keeping food/ grease out of the drain...). Thanks
Pooolboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 03:56 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

I have used Barkeeper's Friend to remove those tiny rust spots. That said, I don't believe vinegar and baking soda would harm the gray tank whatsoever. The vinegar will help remove hard water mineral buildup in the tank.
SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 07:10 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

As Sarah said, Barkeepers friend to keep the cheap stainless sink rust free.

I use "Happy Camper" in my black tank, occasionally I will put it in the grey also. It breaks down whatever is in the tanks.
Old 10-24-2018, 07:49 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Salt and Lemon juice (for the organic approach) will also work. Just borrow some from the Margarita crowd. lol Your holding tank will love it.
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 05:18 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

I also use Barkeepers Friend as mentioned above. Works well on cleaning a lot of things -- it is a very, very mild acid solution when moistened --- not strong enough to do any real damage but, is a great cleaner --- like on the sink you described, the bottom of any metal pans that have discolored, counter tops, etc.

Tags
rust