Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-27-2021, 05:00 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Running a backup cam wire on an ‘08 View

Hey, Guys. Has anyone attempted to run a single conductor wire from the original backup cam position to the dash area? I have a wireless system I’m going to install but I want a dedicated power line to the camera. I don’t want to tap into running lights and drive with headlights all day. I want to test towing an older Wrangler and want the camera for continuous monitoring. I tried pulling the existing wiring in the hope of fishing it through but I’m sure it’s held by numerous clamps through the coach. I would have no problem going down to the chassis and forward but so far I haven’t been able to snake a path from the camera down.
Boomlift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 08:53 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Boomlift - Have similar problem with my 2019 View 24V. So far I've had the radio monitor and head control unit replaced, but the backup camera is now dead. I've contacted Winnebago customer support, but they were useless. Basically told me to run new cable through the chassis or "leave it to the professionals". My contact at Riverpark has been responsive, but he can only advise so much. Claims they only provide the parts to WGO. When the monitor and head unit were replaced, the "professionals" claimed that they replaced the camera. There is an additional video cable under the dash, but it's dead. I unmounted the camera, but its cable is held tight and I'm afraid to pull too hard. I know that there is an additional connector back there and I don't want to break it and loose the cable in the wall.

As far as how to run a new cable, I haven't a clue. WGO techs don't suggest using the existing cable as a pull. I agree that it's most likely secured at places. Riverpark tech indicated to me that hey had heard of instances where the video wires had been pulled too tight and were chafing.

Anyway, like you, I'm seriously considering a wireless system so that I can circumvent the cabling issues. Will most likely go with a license plate mount for ease of getting power to the camera. I've pulled a Wrangler for over 15 years and have found that they always pull true, so now concerned there. Will only use the camera when Jeep is unhooked.

If somebody gives you good advise as to how to run new cables, would appreciate you passing it along.
LAT-LON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 11:01 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Have given up on XITE/Riverpark for help with my problem. Too many issues that they won't/can't help with. I'm going the wireless backup camera route and want it powered all the time. As of right now, I plan to use the existing camera wire hole and drill through the rear wall. That area is inside a cabinet and will not be seen. I can then get power from switched power back there.
Old 04-10-2021, 05:35 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Thanks, Lat-Lon. After much wire tracing I found the wires that run from the original camera up to the overhead console that contains the dome lights. I found the red,white and black had continuity from front to rear. I just plan to put a switch in the 12 v connection so I can turn the camera on/off. The monitor I’ll direct wire since it has it’s own power switch on the front. I hotwired the system for testing and it seems to work great. Now I need to find 3-4 hours of nice weather to put it together properly with soldered connections and heat shrink.
Old 04-11-2021, 08:47 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Glad to hear that you were able to isolate the wires. You don't identify your RV type of year, so it was hard to give advice.

Parts for my conversion should be in next week. I purchased a backup system with a separate monitor. If the wireless components don't play together with the installed radio, I can still have a backup display until I sort everything out. These wireless transmitters/receivers claim that they are PAL/NTSC video compatible, but I won't really know until I hook it all together. I'll hook my camera to switched vehicle power and leave it on all the time. If everything works with the existing radio, I'll have video when in reverse or anytime I select it manually. If I have to use an external monitor, I'll add a separate power switch to turn it off when not needed. My View 24V has a depression in the middle of the dash, so the monitor will not be in the way.

Good luck with the rest of your install.
Old 04-11-2021, 04:21 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Sorry about the lack of info. My rig is an '08 View on an '07 Dodge chassis. We probably have different dash layouts but I'll hang my monitor from the original mount which is basically where a rear view mirror would be.
Old 04-12-2021, 07:30 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

The dashboards have changed over the years. I initially considered using one of the rear view mirror displays, but our RV has the accordion windshield and door shades. The shade mounts and rails would interfere in the mirror space. Think both my plan A and B solutions will work. Just need to get the parts so I can try them both out and make a choice.
Old 04-12-2021, 09:48 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

I see you've already purchased a unit but here's what we settled on. It 's well made and wireless.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 07:46 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for the link. My plan A is to use the existing radio monitor with a new camera and video transmitter/receiver devices. If that doesn't work, plan B is to add an external monitor. We'll see how it goes. Transmitter/receiver pair arrived yesterday, but need the rest of the components to test everything out. Delivery has been pushed out to Thursday, so I'll have to wait another day. I'll let everyone who's interested know how things proceed.

Tags
view