Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-07-2020, 11:35 AM   #41
Winnebago Camper

Scorch marks

Since there were comments about the ARP Fridge Defend, I thought I would post this. In order to install the ARP Fridge Defend controller, my son-in-law decided to pull out the fridge. To our surprise there were two scorched areas on the wood behind the fridge. Winnebago took the time to build a spacer box to ensure air was directed over the coils, but the wood was WAY to close to the back of the fridge.

One scorch mark was from the fridge boiler exhaust deflector which was aimed right at the wood only an inch away. The top scorch mark was from the copper tubing which was actually touching the wood. He pulled out the spacer box and insulated the inside of the exterior wall. You can see the 2 fans that came with the ARP Fridge Defend being mounted on the back of the fridge. He also put high temperature heat shield tape near where the coil was touching the wood.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	28.3 KB
ID:	174496   Click image for larger version

Name:	1-1.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	122.9 KB
ID:	174497  

Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	174498   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	110.4 KB
ID:	174499  

ArtistsView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 04:49 PM   #42
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
Well Neil, you've got me. I'm only 70 years old so I don't have 55 years experience with Residential fridges in an RV. I didn't have an RV when I was 15.

If residential fridges are that sensitive to being vibrated by a moving vehicle how can they be shipped all over the world in various kinds of utility vehicles?

Regardless, the market has spoken pretty loudly on this matter as a majority of new motorhomes are being produced with residential fridges.

The reality is that unused residential refrigerators in shipping crates are being shipped and some are being shipped after they have been used however that is usually only when someone moves to another home and takes the appliances with them or when a second hand refrigerator is being delivered. None are usually operating while being shipped. Only "some" motor homes are being produced with residential refrigerators installed from the factory. Winnebago for example has 19 different motor home models yet only 2 have residential refrigerators and those are the two heavy, smooth riding diesel pushers.
Old 08-09-2020, 06:46 PM   #43
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilV View Post
Winnebago for example has 19 different motor home models yet only 2 have residential refrigerators and those are the two heavy, smooth riding diesel pushers.
Sorry, no, you can easily get a residential fridge in a Gasser - it's an option in multiple models. Including mine. Here's the Galley option for a new GAS Adventurer:

2-door 16 cu. ft. residential refrigerator/freezer w/icemaker (35F, 36Z)

As to shipping, most are made in places far remote from where they are sold and used and are shipped all over the world.

I understand you prefer the RV Fridge. That's fine, but for thousands of others that's just not the case. No problem. Just different strokes for different folks.

I've have 4-RVs with an RV fridge and 1-RV with a residential fridge. I'd never go back.
Old 08-10-2020, 10:36 AM   #44
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
Well Neil, you've got me. I'm only 70 years old so I don't have 55 years experience with Residential fridges in an RV. I didn't have an RV when I was 15.

If residential fridges are that sensitive to being vibrated by a moving vehicle how can they be shipped all over the world in various kinds of utility vehicles?

Regardless, the market has spoken pretty loudly on this matter as a majority of new motorhomes are being produced with residential fridges.
Hmmm ... it depends upon where one considers that they fit in "the market". Some of us may fit into categories outside of the prevailing market.

i.e. There's a lot of modern products, and applicatons of them, that I see as actually a compromise over what was previously offered. Hence, I have to shop around a lot more in order to optimize purchases ... but the best combination is usually still available somewhere.
Phil G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 10:44 AM   #45
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil G. View Post
Hmmm ... it depends upon where one considers that they fit in "the market". Some of us may fit into categories outside of the prevailing market.
Absolutely true. This happens in all sectors. It can and does make things difficult for folks that want to "upgrade" but can't find a new thing that fits their concept of what's best.

I think we have plenty of examples that in the end, the market usually wins out, whether we want it too or not. If all RVs come with compressor fridges at some point there will not be any recent used models for sale with an RV fridge. Perhaps at that time someone will specialize in refitting RV fridges - like there are people now that specialize in refitting compressor fridges now.
Old 08-15-2020, 03:08 AM   #46
Winnebago Camper

I need alittle help i have a DOMETIC 611 refrigerator the freezer works fine but the refrigerator is not getting cold was im storage for about 1 year i turned it on for about 5hours bottom half not getting cold.any thoughts.
tedskeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 04:31 AM   #47
Winnebago Master

Let it go at least 8 hours, maybe 12. It takes quite a while to cool the fridge compartment. After 5 hours the freezer should feel cool though.

I always leave mine on overnight before loading it up to go camping the next morning.

BTW make sure it is on AC or propane. DC cools very, very slowly.

David
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 07:14 AM   #48
Winnebago Camper

Where have you read about all the fires and overheating issues with absorption refrigerators? I haven't, and I frequent a lot of different RV boards.

I've had a bunch of different RV's, Class B's & Travel Trailers, and have never experienced any problems with absorption refrigerators.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrady View Post
Hi All-

We have a 2017 Navion with a Norcold 3150 fridge. We primarily boondock and for that reason we wanted a unit with a 3-way fridge instead of the power hungry compression fridge.

However.. the more I read about all the fires and other overheating issues with absorption fridges I am little concerned. Mainly because my wife takes the MH on trips all the time with the kids and the chance of parking off level for a while is high.

Has anyone replaced their 3-way with a compression fridge? Do they have models that fit in the same space w/o modification?

I've looked at the ARP Fridge Defend but have seen some posts where that thing can fail as well and stop your fridge from running so not sure how viable of a solution that is.

Any feedback greatly appreciated!
thanks
tim
AtleeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 08:21 AM   #49
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedskeet View Post
I need alittle help i have a DOMETIC 611 refrigerator the freezer works fine but the refrigerator is not getting cold was im storage for about 1 year i turned it on for about 5hours bottom half not getting cold.any thoughts.
Our 2018 Fuse has a Norcold DC0061 compressor refrigerator and it only has a single control and one thermocouple to control both freezer and refrigerator compartments. The freezer gets cold well before the refrigerator section feels cold, but 5 hours is usually more than enough time for me to notice that both compartments are cooling.

One of the things we did was buy a remote sensing thermometer to check that the refrigerator is operating. One sensor goes in the freezer, one in the refrigerator and the monitoring unit sits in the RV. That way we can actually see what the interior temperatures are without opening either compartment and that tells us when the unit is cool enough for food. You might want to try that to see if the fridge section is cooling or not.

Here is a link to what we bought, although there are plenty of other models around:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
AJMike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
compressor, fridge