Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-03-2020, 08:10 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Removing porch light

View 24 j. 2016
In a previous thread, I revised excellent advice to replace an inadequate Winnebago original with off market lights.
Before forcing the old light fitting away from the coach side, does one just lever the old fitting off or is there a trick?,
MarinerGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 04:11 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

The old fixture should be held on by two screws and caulk of some kind, there will also be a gasket. Once you unscrew the fixture you can take a utility knife and gently score the area between the gasket and the side of your unit. But for all practical purposes yes its a gentle pry.
be happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 09:33 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by be happy View Post
The old fixture should be held on by two screws and caulk of some kind, there will also be a gasket. Once you unscrew the fixture you can take a utility knife and gently score the area between the gasket and the side of your unit. But for all practical purposes yes its a gentle pry.
Thanks for your reply.
There are no screws visible - but there are two small slots under the light fitting. I tried levering with a plastic tool. The tool broke.
I’m hesitant to lever with a screwdriver as this may well damage the skin of the vehicle.
Part of the light is still working so I’m just anticipating the light failing completely.
I’m sad that Winnebago install such a poor fitting.
Old 04-05-2020, 04:28 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Sorry I can not help anymore. I had thought that by removing the light cover it would expose the bulb, and screws. You might try calling a mobile rv place or take a picture of the light and go to an rv repair shop.

Off topic,, I see you are living in Arvada Co, my son lives there he's a Firefighter EMT for Arvada.
be happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 05:16 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

A belated thanks for help. The manufacture of the light sent a free replacement.
They have lifetime guarantee. Better than the Winebego $50 0r $60.
Using bruce force and ignorance I was able to remove the failed light. After that - no problem.!

Tags
light