Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-19-2005, 06:22 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

We have an ASA/AudioVox VBCS 150 camera mounted on the rear wall of our coach (7 inch monitor inside). It points almost straight down and gives me a view of 6 to 9 feet behind me. That's it.

I would like to tilt the camera up and see the vehicular traffic behind me for 50 to 100 feet or so. No can do. Even tho there are nuts to loosen and room on the bracket tracks to move the camera upward, the bracket screws jut out enough to prevent movement. The camera has knobs on the back which hit the bracket edge and keep it from moving upward.

ASA tells me there is no fix other than to buy another camera and mount it for better rear vision.

Question: Do all "rear observation cameras" point straight down? Does anyone have a camera that can be tilted up to watch traffic behind?

Guess I could have another bracket fabricated that would be an inch or two longer, and thus permit the camera to move upward.

Any ASA VOYAGER system owners out there and do you have any comments or suggestions?

Thanks
Old 07-19-2005, 06:22 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

We have an ASA/AudioVox VBCS 150 camera mounted on the rear wall of our coach (7 inch monitor inside). It points almost straight down and gives me a view of 6 to 9 feet behind me. That's it.

I would like to tilt the camera up and see the vehicular traffic behind me for 50 to 100 feet or so. No can do. Even tho there are nuts to loosen and room on the bracket tracks to move the camera upward, the bracket screws jut out enough to prevent movement. The camera has knobs on the back which hit the bracket edge and keep it from moving upward.

ASA tells me there is no fix other than to buy another camera and mount it for better rear vision.

Question: Do all "rear observation cameras" point straight down? Does anyone have a camera that can be tilted up to watch traffic behind?

Guess I could have another bracket fabricated that would be an inch or two longer, and thus permit the camera to move upward.

Any ASA VOYAGER system owners out there and do you have any comments or suggestions?

Thanks
Old 07-19-2005, 07:23 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Simple answer is no. Not all cameras point down. I too have a Voyager system and I was able to adjust the camera view back futher. Intersting that you are limited. Maybe a different bracket like you thought.

Happy Trails............
Stevegd007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 02:26 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Thought I would bring this question to the front of the line in anticipation of the many, many RVers who will check this forum over the weekend.
Old 07-22-2005, 03:09 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Scooter, maybe if you check their web site they may sell a larger bracket,I take it you do not tow anything.
I have a pretty good view to the rear of coach but the right side blind spot is my concern. Sam's sells a mini camera for about $35 was wondering if anyone has added it to right side view mirror an plugged into second channel of monitor.
It would sure give a clear view of those *****'s that want to pass on right than cut to your left to cut you off.
I had someone do that but didn't clear my right bumper, he spun around a few times than hit me dead center off my front passenger tire. "007"
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 03:41 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Not yet resolved this proplem.

I am going to the dealer tomorrow to get the radio replaced and will bug him some more about the limited camera view.

For additional ammunition, who out there has the ASA/Voyager camera that will adjust upward and give a 30-40-50 foot view of what is behind?

Thanks
Old 01-18-2006, 04:06 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

My 2003 Suncruiser had a Sony black and white camera. It too didn't reach back very far and had a tight field of vision. When I bought my Allegro Bus it came with an ADTH black and white camera system. This camera had a nice field of vision. I could see the hitch as well as the rear of the toad. It made it great for judging distances when overtaking another vehicle when towing and I could see when it was safe to duck back into the right lane.

However, the camera itself was a piece of junk. It had terrible resolution and everytime I got a solar reflection off the toad or saw a headlight at night it streaked and glowed all over the monitor. So, I decided to replace it. I researched and found that there were some big differences in the cameras in the "angle of view" specs. I finally settled on the Sony color camera with the color LCD monitor because it fit right into the existing dash hole and had a great field of view.

When I installed it, it had an adjustable U shaped bracket and it was easy to adjust the camera. If you look at your bracket, maybe redrilling a few holes might help. Just be sure that you don't go too far out. If your camera has a very narrow AOV you want to be carefull that you can still see the towbar when you change the mounting angle. Otherwise, if your camera is one of those narrow "telescope" things you may want to consider a wider camera.
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 07:01 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

My rear view camera points down also. I tried to adjust it and there isn't enough travel in the slots plus the back of the camera hit the bracket at max slot travel. My plan was to build a new bracket with greater depth and slots that would allow adjustment. Then one day while visiting Camping World I noticed their display cameras were pointing straight at me so my face was displayed on the monitor. I looked to see how they mounted the camera in the bracket. The camera had two screws on each side just like my camera. Camping World had mounted the camera so that the top screw went into the top slot and the bottom screw did not go into the slot but was on the outside of the bracket. The result was the camera was pointing straight out. I haven't tried it yet but when I get ready for my next trip I plan to adjust the camera so that I can use it as a rear view mirror.

I might feel differently when I tow my boat.

Update: I was at Camping World today and I looked at the cameras once again. I have made a cover for my camera that helps dispurse the rain up here in Washington State. The cover will act as a clamp and allow me to mount the camera with only one screw in the bracket slot. To mount a camera with only one screw in a slot a clamp will need to be made so that the screws will squeeze the bracket and hold the camera in place.

JD & Kathy
JD Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 10:39 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Problem solved. Dealer did what I was considering which was to switch out the two large head (pan head?) screws holding the bracket to the back wall with two smaller head screws.

Now there is more travel for the camera to tilt upward.
Old 01-20-2006, 11:22 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Initially I was disappointed that our new HR has a black and white system. However, it has two buttons to move the back camera (also has side cameras) up or down and that is an outstanding feature to have. When backing into a site I lower it (or when travelling and I want to check the tow bar) and when on the road it can be raised enough that you can see right to the horizon (not the Itasca version of the horizon). I don't know how good the camera is [never heard of the company] but at this point it is working great.