Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-20-2019, 09:43 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Rear Air Springs

I have a 2016 Aspect 27K with rear air springs...the original/previous owner did not put any air in them... i measured wheel well to ground on each side...it's recommended you keep pressures the same if possible...max air is 80 psi...I put 80 psi in passenger side but the driver side only needed 20 psi to level the coach...any thoughts would be appreciated.. we purchased our coach a month ago... this is our second MH.

Thanks!!!!
Wingrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 07:02 PM   #2
bkg
Winnebago Owner

On my former RV, 15,000 pound Class C had Firestone Ride-Rite air bags that could hold up to 100 pounds PSI.
I started with 85 PSI for both sides and it was a rough ride! I went do to 65 PSI when loaded with gear and fuel and no more than 80 PSI when lightly loaded (weekend trips). I had to keep both bags equally filled or the motorhome would sway.

I eventually upgraded my air management to a wireless Air Lift system. Maintain the pressure in the bags automatically.
Now I use Summo springs in the Sprinter unit - no more bags or compressors!
Old 06-02-2019, 04:13 PM   #3
2016 Winnebago Navion 24J

I added Boss airbags to my 16NJ and I am low 1/2 inch in the rt rear. I pump up my rt airbag to 35 psi, and the lt airbag to 30 psi. The 5 lb difference leveled it out nicely. It also lifted the MH about 1/4 inch off the overload spring which improved the ride dramatically.

Eighty five lbs is a lot of air and lift. I would try less.
MrMarog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 10:44 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for your message... we were on a 10 day trip & decided not to take the computer along... just seeing your reply.

Thanks again!
Old 09-29-2021, 03:06 PM   #5
Winnie Owner

air bag limit straps

Thinking of installing rear axle firestone air bags on my Vista 26P. Are limit straps required so that the bags are not stretched when auto levelling?
Thanks
jA
jarnarcos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 10:37 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

We bought our Aspect from the original owners...the only reference to straps are in the Maintenance Section of the Air Helper Springs...they refer to torque specifications.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

Take care!
Old 10-01-2021, 02:24 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Our 31D came new with Firestone airbags in the rear. I keep them at 80 - (fully loaded at 14,500). Really makes a difference on the road in terms of a smooth ride compared to our previous Class C that did not have air bags.
TJFogelberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 11:04 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

In my experience airbag pressures have to be played with to get the ride and effect you want. We have 2012 Aspect and when I got it it had no air in the bags and it gave a terrible handling and driving experience. I have had airbags on various vehicles so I had an idea on what to run. I ran 45psi and it helped but not much, I then went to 50-55 and it was much improved. I have run as much as 70psi but we run lightly loaded so it was not needed. The PIA on mine was that the air fitting was IN at the Back of the rear storage box and it was hard to get into and a lot of time was spent trying to get the pressures even. I used long class A type flexible air lines to bring the inlet to the door and it was better. However I finally got around to fabricating a T fitting so that both were inflated at same time. It has worked well. There are equalizer valves available if you wanted to install which will keep bags from being over inflated on low side events.

As to 80 in 1 but 20 in other you sound as if it may have overload or weak spring on the one side or very stiff spring on other. 20 psi is about the least amount to keep bag from setting and cracking the seams and does not really show much in a normal evnvironment.
hank857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 01:56 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

We have a 2016 Aspect 30j and keep both bags at 60-70 depending on load and if hauling our enclosed trailer. Both bags are always set the same. Too bad Aspect was discontinued. We've had ours for 5 years, downsized from 42 fifth wheel, and couldn't be happier after 30k miles! Enjoy.
Hopeful1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 02:58 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarnarcos View Post
Thinking of installing rear axle firestone air bags on my Vista 26P. Are limit straps required so that the bags are not stretched when auto levelling?
Thanks
jA
Not a direct ans, jA, but just some of my 'sperience.

I have had my rig "hanging in the air" (using the HWH hyd levelers + so-called 6 Ton safety stands) to do several different jobs; e.g., brakes, holding tank heater installations, new cable-operated Valtera valve, etc. Only recently did I read that I should have at least let the bag pressures down to minimum to do this. (Ignorance really is bliss, I reckon.) Anyway, I have never had any problem(s) with the Firestone bags on my rig (14 years old and 55K mlles,) I guess the system is just that tough; i.e., it was able to withstand all my abuse/ignorance with nary a whimper.

BTW- I may have just "gotten away with it" but I don't believe so. I will do the same thing in the future ......... well, I think I will at least, lower the pressure in the bags before I start. lol Matter of fact, one is not supposed to use the HWH system that way + one is not supposed to lift the rear axle off the ground with the levelers (no parking brakes) but (on "level" ground) I plan to continue that practice as well. I know that a lot of DIYers do it (cautiously.)

Best .......... and safe travels and good times to ya.
youracman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 05:09 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

forgot to add if you add the bags consider installing a minitor and inflator system. Have that on my F350 and works well. Have contemplated adding pump to the rv but that is just another project for sometime to come.
hank857 is offline   Reply With Quote