Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-17-2021, 07:09 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Radio Power button on dash

For the last 5 years, the radio/infotainment system in my 2016 View 24V (Sprinter) has come on whenever I turn on the vehicle. Then, if parked with engine off, this button allows me to use the radio.
I recently got a new battery at my local Mercedes Benz dealer.
Now, I must have the Radio Power button on even while driving in order to listen to the radio.
Any suggestions? Is this an easy fix?

I know if I take it back to the Mercedes dealer they will say, sorry, that is a Winnebago issue, take it to your Winnebago dealer.

Gary
gthatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 10:12 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

just a thought, if you are can only use the radio when the switch is in the house battery position , have you checked the fuse the radio uses when in the engine position ? I think it is in the fuse box above your knee in the F55/2 block nbr 10.
Old 02-17-2021, 02:59 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVwithDogs View Post
just a thought, if you are can only use the radio when the switch is in the house battery position , have you checked the fuse the radio uses when in the engine position ? I think it is in the fuse box above your knee in the F55/2 block nbr 10.
Yes, thank you for responding but I checked and replaced that fuse, no help
Old 02-17-2021, 03:09 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

one other thing that might be worth checking, I saw several old posts about the chassis side of the switch can become unconnected or could you remove the switch and test the voltage on that side of the switch ?
Old 02-21-2021, 04:20 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Update: now my radio/nav unit/backup camera will not power on even with the Radio Power button on.
I have tried replacing (twice) the 15 amp fuse in spot F55/2 block nbr 10 as recommended by @rvwithdogs. The fuse is good. I am wondering this. Since this radio/nav unit was installed by Winnebago, probably not a factory radio from Mercedes, is there another fuse someplace I should be checking? It's really irritating to be on a road trip to FL and not have my backup camera or nav unit.
Old 02-21-2021, 06:18 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Just throwing this out I have no specific answer but I have had issues before on my dingy vehicle where I changed the battery and my steering wheel controls weren't working. Another vehicle I had to disconnect the battery for towing for towing behind the RV so I installed a knife switch after a while it came loose and I had radio and other problems. Both time tightening the battery connections corrected the problem. I have the same switch in my RV since you only have power from the house batteries it could be that there is a separate line for the radio that did not get re-connected to the battery. I would start with what Mercedes mechanic did and check everything the mechanic touched - it might just be a loose ground or not connected power wire issue. I would also check any extra wire connected to the batteries as Winnebago could have several wires coming together that the Mercedes dealer moved around which causes them to become loose.
Member FMCA F421963, GS Life, SKP#127220, WIT, PA,
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Robmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 05:14 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Thank you for all the responses, I appreciate them. I think it was the radio fuse under the front passenger seat. I forgot all about this fuse box.
Old 02-25-2021, 05:06 AM   #8
2016 View 24J Profile

Please indulge me. After rereading these posts I’m not sure if you are saying that you have found the problem and that it was a fuse under the passenger seat. Could you please explain in greater detail
Thanks
Old 02-25-2021, 08:10 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Alan, I am still not 100% sure how I fixed this. My extended warranty co. was helpful and had an RV tech call me. He reminded me there was a fuse box under the passenger seat. I looked, and there was a fuse for Radio. These are push-button type of fuses. Although it did not appear to be tripped or pushed out, I pressed the button in again. That evening, the radio did not work either with the normal ignition key or with the Radio Power button. However, in the morning when I started my RV, the radio/nav unit came on as normal. As I may have mentioned earlier, the issues with this xite infotainment system have been intermittent. It seems to work when it wants too. Right now, all is well
Old 02-25-2021, 09:12 AM   #10
2016 View 24J Profile

Thank you for responding
I have a 2016 View model J and have done extensive upgrades to it but the Infotainment system seems to be working properly. I just wanted to stay informed with any issues that the View may have.
I’m a retired ASE master tech and do all my own servicing for my vehicles
Old 02-25-2021, 05:09 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

We had a problem with our 2019 View 24v. After a 5 week trip where it worked fine, then all the sudden nothing would come on. No radio, no back up camera, nothing. Mercedes actually fixed ours because they had done so much work on it from a wreck that tore out the diesel exhaust, that they thought maybe they wired something wrong. But they didn’t. They had to reset it which was not easy. Once reset, it worked fine. But you won’t find anything in the manual about that! We’ve had numerous Mercedes issues but all fixed under warranty. The ignition switch quit one day. Just quit. Had it towed in and had to have a new ignition install. Then numerous chassis battery issues from something draining the battery. New battery twice. I could go on and on. But we just took a ten day trip and no issues.
AZ Okies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 05:49 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

When somebody tells you "something" is draining the batteries but are not interested enough to find what, I tend to call them bad techs!
It may have been something as normal as the parasitic drains which are normal for RV???
Lots of details are important like how it is stored and what is done to keep the batteries charged during storage.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 01:59 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

radio switch

There are usually several wires running off the positive post on your battery. maybe one of them was not attached, fell down alongside of the battery or became loose after the new battery was installed. If this occurred after a new battery, then the battery connection is the first place to look. That switch should have a direct battery connection for it to work without the ignition on.
plrude is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dash, power, radio