Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-20-2020, 10:28 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Purchase? Used View/139K miles

I was on the Yahoo site for a few yrs and now here. We are currently looking at either a Roadtrek or View. The View we are looking at is a 2006 with 139K miles. It is an X-rental. Are the miles too high? I have owned a 38 ft diesel and that mileage isn't a big deal.
Thanks, Bob
BangorBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 09:43 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

On a T1N transmission is a problem. The Sprinter Forum you can look up the section and get an idea of problems.
Old 04-22-2020, 10:00 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Well I share your concerns to a degree.

A 38' Class A pusher with an 8.3 liter Cummins driving it weighs 30- 35,000 lbs. That is 3,600-4,200 lbs per liter of engine displacement. A 2006 Roadtrek or View weighs about 10,000-11,000 lbs with a 3.0 liter Mercedes or 3,300-3,700 lbs per liter.

So lbs per liter is one measure of stress on the engine and in this case the Sprinter based coach comes out fine.

But horsepower required to push it to say 65 mph is another measure of stress. The more hp per liter the more stress on the engine. In this case the bigger Class A although it might require double the hp required to go 65 as the Sprinter based coaches due to its larger frontal surface area, the displacement is almost triple.

But all in all 139,000 miles is a fraction of its expected life, so you should be fine.

David
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 11:12 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

I might throw in a bit different thinking as I have been on trips with folks who were new to RVs and trying out rentals to see what they liked, etc.
That really brought home to me that a rental is not just used a lot but used by folks who have little idea of what they need to do. One trip through the mountains with a new user can put lots more use on things than years of use by experienced users.
How to use the engine going up and how to not use the brakes coming down can make a big difference in how much things wear.
One new user I rode with refused to understand how to gear down and worked it in low gear but gassed in between corners and still had to brake. He was running the engine up to 5500 RPM between corners and smoking the brakes at the same time when the corners came up. He had five guys riding who were glad to get off that hill!!
I do not recommend rental RV as used.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 02:11 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidM View Post
In this case the bigger Class A although it might require double the hp required to go 65 as the Sprinter based coaches due to its larger frontal surface area, the displacement is almost triple.
This is not a topic that I have ever really thought about, so my comment may be less well informed than yours, but I wonder if there is not much more resistance to get to 65 mph in the class A compared to the Sprinter than you suggest.

The Class A is triple the weight and at least double the frontal area resistance, perhaps almost triple the frontal area resistance given the slope of the Sprinter and the lack of slope in the Class A. My neighbor's Class A gets about 4 mpg while my Fuse, based on a Transit chassis and perhaps comparable to the Sprinter chassis, gets about 18 and I think that the 4.5:1 ration might be more accurate for the resistance ratio of the two vehicles.

Only a guess, of course but I do think that the fuel economy represents a good estimate of the ratio involved.
AJMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 06:56 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

The 06 are Dodge TN1 5 cylinder 156 HP, 2.7 not the current 3.0 189 hp. At 130k miles in a rental fleet would IMHO be a unit I would not buy. Service costs are high. Good unit if in very clean one owner, garage storage. Transmissions failure is common. At this age I would expect other issues. This unit in a rental would be one to run away.
Old 04-23-2020, 09:27 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Besides the transmission another problem area for this year View is the "gasket" between the bulkhead and the cab. Winnebago put in a steel gasket that rusts. It is a major job to replace and winnebago does not make replacement parts.
06 Winnebago View.
ForestF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 02:35 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForestF View Post
Besides the transmission another problem area for this year View is the "gasket" between the bulkhead and the cab. Winnebago put in a steel gasket that rusts. It is a major job to replace and winnebago does not make replacement parts.
06 Winnebago View.
Which makes me ask where you get the gasket from? Or do you have to fabricate it specially at some shop.
AJMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 05:24 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJMike View Post
Which makes me ask where you get the gasket from? Or do you have to fabricate it specially at some shop.
The folks that are doing it are removing it and having it powder coated. There are a couple if threads on the Fb page.
ForestF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 05:16 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

If you can take your time there will be other rigs showing less miles with possibly just 1 owner .Things to consider with this View have already been covered but to add to the list is the fact that wheel bearings..springs..brake lines.. chassis fatigue and rust would definately have to be considered.. but if it is offered at a ridiculous low price,I may have to rethink...Try to get a mechanic or other buddy to go with you before you sign on the dotted line...
Reniram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 04:42 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

140K over 14 years makes an average of 10K per year. Not bad for an RV, BUT the thing to consider is the age and the total miles. Those are high. Big question for you: what kind of camping experience do you want? Consider - Do you mind things breaking down unexpectedly and more frequently? Are you mechanically inclined and able to fix things (engine/transmission/brakes/batteries/water heater/electrical systems)? I paid the premium for new so I wouldn’t have to any of the heavy lifting, and could spend more time enjoying the drive, the camping and doing some upgrades myself. You might get lucky (feeling lucky?), but odds are against you IMHO. Very nice 2018/2019 Navions/Views available (I recommend the 24D).
Old 04-26-2020, 05:09 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

The mercedes diesel should run 500k.minimum. That is why the mileage on a sprinter does not factor into the book price. A rental has seen a lot of idiots drive it, so I would find a one owner out there. I spent over a year looking in a five state area for the right view on craigslist and a good one at a great price pops up every now and then. As far as the road trek, the view has soo much more room. We have both a sprinter leisure van and a view. I love the smaller leisure van when we are traveling a lot but if we are camping weeks at a time, the view is more comfortable.
plrude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 05:09 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

I would be Leary of the mileage on a rental unit, plus the general "trashing" which occurs. I was amazed when I rented out my private coach a number of years ago, how people did not take care of any issues.

I recently sold a 40' Holiday Rambler with the 8.3 Cumins and averaged 8 mpg. The Via which I own now gets about 13 to 14 miles per gallon on cross country trips towing a Lincoln MKX. I can pull the grades better (I don't drive over 60 mph) than I did with the big rig.
thataway4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 07:32 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

I would not buy the rental at 50,000 let alone 139,000

The issue is how. rentals are treated. too many things either by being in a hurray or not knowing what to not do

leveling. oil level/maintance in generator and 30 other possible mistakes
or oversights
PJTroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 01:46 AM   #15
Winnebago Camper

I have a 2008 View Diesel with only 38,000 miles on it and I love it. I bought it 2 years ago with only 18,000 miles on it. I’ve owned 4 different RVs over 35 years and the View is my favorite, however I would never consider purchasing a used rental unit. I’ve seen so many rental RV’s driven in my home state of Colorado. Most are by first timers or those with very little experience. The mountain driving wear and tear are significant when you have lots of experience but the renters take them on unpaved roads that they have no business being on. Everything is rattled loose, alignment often permanently damaged as well as a host of other brake and engine issues. Many people take the insurance and then don’t worry if they hit something, drive the RV hard, or damage something.

Run away from this rental unit and keep looking for the gem, they are out there!
Newman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 04:34 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

I bought a 1993 Winnebago Brave used rental a few years ago. The only thing I can recall doing to it is repairing the awning mechanism which I did at the first campsite.
Being our first Class A, we had a blast. I later traded it in for a larger/longer Class A. I would check the View out as well as I could and make my own decision keeping in mind all the information gathered from this helpful forum.

Tags
purchase