Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2021, 07:51 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Propane plumbing

Hey all,

I want to add a quick connect to my 2017 Minnie 31K. Anyone know the sizing of pipe that is used and anyone have and tips or ideas of the best place to tap into the pipe?

I’m going to be using it with a Blackstone griddle which is regulator free so I don’t have to worry about being in front of the main tanks regulator.

Any thoughts or ideas are greatly appreciated.
Clotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 08:23 PM   #2

RV regulators put out ~12PSI so if your Blackstone regulator requires less than that you will be okay tapping in AFTER your RV-Tank-Regulator.

When you tap into the high pressure side, before your RV-Tank-Regulator, you need to be sure you take more care and use only high pressure gas fittings.

I'll let someone else explain how you can use an Extend-A-Stay set up if your RV tank fill is on the passenger side of your RV since I did not go this route, since my RV tank fill is on the driver's side.

For more information on how I tapped into the RV tank line BEFORE the RV-Regulator, and then routed soft copper to the passenger side of the RV, you can go to this forum link:

https://www.winnieowners.com/forums/...ml#post3898253

It's not hard if you are prepared. I was not. And if you use soft copper tubing you just need a $15 flaring tool, which is pretty nifty if you never have used one. I.e., if you want a quick disconnect LP gas port (10-20' from your RV tank) you may want to run a 3/8" soft copper line.
imnprsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 08:40 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

I don't agree with iMNPRSD's answer to your question. My Winnebago Vista propane system uses a standard 2 stage high flow RV regulator and the output that is distributed to the furnace, stove, fridge and the quick connect port is much less than 12 PSI. It is 10" water column pressure ( 10" WC ). This is 0.36 PSI. It is very probable that this is NOT the exact pressure that the Blackstone 2 stage regulators put out to their product's burners.

You can install a high pressure propane tee between your tank and the RV regulator and then use a high pressure propane hose to connect to the propane appliance's high pressure connector. You can google search "Extend A Stay". I looked at the Blackstone web site and all their products have high pressure propane connectors with 2 stage regulators to provide the proper low pressure propane feed to their burner or burners.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 09:45 PM   #4

What I am saying, is that I would PREFER to run a low pressure LP remote extension line vs. a high pressure LP line.

And yes... and Extend-A-Stay is another way to go.

I just bought a 15-PSI Coleman Grill, and I like it very much, but it will not run on the low pressure side of my RV-Tank-Regulator; so I had to to run a "T" into the high pressure side; and all is well, but you need to make sure your use high pressure components, because as explained in my other threads, the high pressure side is a beast and you need to be sure your do it right!

Then someone else came along an explained a lot of RVs have the LP fill port on the passenger side, which then makes using the Extend-A-Stay option viable.. since it has a "T" for a bbq extension. However, I have never use one.
imnprsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 05:05 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Install quick disconnect for Blackstone grill

Just installed a quick disconnect for my Blackstone grill on the low pressure side of my propane system on my MW 26T. Here is what I did:

1. Disconnected the hose from the outlet of the tank regulator.
2. This hose connects to a fitting mounted to the RV just aft of the LP tank, un-mounted this fitting and disconnected the hose.
3. To this fitting, I installed a 3/8 NPT male x 3/8 NPT female x 3/8 NPT female Tee. I use pipe dope on all the fittings I install except the below flare fitting.
4. Reinstalled the hose removed in step 1.
5. To this tee, I installed a 2 foot long hose with a 3/8 male pipe to 3/8 female flare fitting. I special ordered this from the Propane Warehouse on line, cost about 20 buck with shipping.
6. To the 2 foot hose, I installed a 3/8 male flare x 1/4 male pipe thread fitting.
7. To this fitting, I installed a Dozyant RV Quick Disconnect.
8. Reinstalled the hose to the tank regulator, open the tank outlet and did a leak check on all the fittings I disturbed.
9. Remounted the RV fitting removed in step 2.

To use my Blackstone I install a Menzi 1/4 quick plug w/12 hose which installs right to the Blackstone. Note, I don’t use the Blackstone regulator on this line. Works great! I also secure the 2 foot hose with a Velcro strap to the valve off the LP tank. All the brass fittings, quick disconnect and the Menzi hose were bought from Amazon.
Subsailor653 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 07:29 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

For good solid info. I suggest going to the "parts catalog" here:
https://catalog3d.winnebagoind.com/menu/Parts.htm

It has the various sizing as well as lets you turn the RV all around so get a look over, under and through the walls to sort for the best spots to tie in, while making your personal decision on where and how you feel works best. I do not like to run extra plumbing around and under the RV when there may be a fitting almost there already---if I just know where the lines run.

Many of us like to have the grill on the door side of the rig and that often means the frig and stove are just inside that wall, so finding where there is a line often leads to finding a tee or el which can be taken apart so that all we need is a few feet of new line and the quick connect, not running all the way from the far side!

Maybe tying into this manifold would be an easy way--but knowing there is a manifold and what sizes can help decide???? The parts list is a place to find solid info.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lp.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	180134  
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 08:07 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Propane hose assembly

Knowing the fitting sizes helps. Using the online Winnebago solid model and parts list, the entire propane hose assembly is made by Flex-Tech. I called them and got the sizes of the first fitting off my tank, they stated it was all 3/8 female NPT. Which was incorrect as one fitting was 1/4. On the 26T the is another fitting just behind the rock guard just behind the back passenger tire. I put my hose by the tank for easy access and a good way to secure the hose while on the road.
Subsailor653 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 09:57 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

So much depends on how we are each setup, both on the Rv as well as tools and experience working with the fittings. Keeping and open mind and thinking what is possible can save us lots of work at times.
One thing that works for folks who have done some work with copper is to cut a line going to something like the stove, frig or water heater, add a tee and connect there if the copper is exposed and where you want to connect the grill.

On my Rv, I decided to stick with the portable tank because the copper tubing was not open enough to do the work but for my brother, he had lots of space and only needed about 8 inches of new copper and the quick disconnect, etc. to get what he wanted.
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 10:28 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for all the suggestions. I’m leaving towards the extend-a-stay with the high-pressure tee so I can use any BBQ in the future without having to worry about regulator/pressure.
Clotus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
plumbing, propane