Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-30-2020, 05:23 PM   #21
Winnebago Owner

I bought a battery jumper from Harbor Freight, the one with the lithium battery, cost was about $80. It is compact and had excellent reviews and I've had occasion to try it myself, it works great! I got caught once with a dead battery and the slide was out, AAA came and just used a jumper pack to haul the slide back in and we were on our way.

https://www.harborfreight.com/450-pe...ght-62749.html
MainelyScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 05:26 PM   #22
Winnebago Owner

I liked this one

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJMike View Post
The last time I pulled a toad I found that the battery was dead when we arrived - apparently the headlights were on while it was being towed and the jumper cables would not reach from the RV front engine to the car on the dolly. Fortunately we found a nearby camper who was happy to jump start the car, but it made me realize that jumper cables are not enough.

Given that, I have been looking into the portable jump starters as an insurance policy, but would like to make sure anything I bought would work on the RV as well as on our car. Our Fuse has a 3.5L diesel and I guess jump starting a diesel takes more power than our car, a Honda Fit, and since I don't know much about these portable jump starters I thought I would ask if anyone carries one and, if so, which one and are they happy with it.

The Fuse has a battery bridge to the house battery so I am not so much worried about starting it, but it seems reasonable to get something that would work for both, just in case. I also have a roadside assistance plan, but waiting for a battery jump out in the middle of nowhere seems like a good way to ruin an otherwise perfectly good day out in the RV.
My car isn't a diesel, but this one has worked GREAT for me many times.
https://smile.amazon.com/GOOLOO-Supe...e%2C212&sr=1-5
golden13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 06:11 PM   #23
Winnebago Camper

Use an iRV towed vehicle battery charger connected to the 12V pin on the 7-pin connector. Do not connect battery to battery directly, use the charger which is small and mounts in the toad engine compartment.
Pdest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 07:56 PM   #24
Winnie Owner

I have this one. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01D42TYFC Works great. Description says it will do diesels.
jarnarcos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 08:44 PM   #25
Winnebago Camper

This is a newer version of a portable jump starter that I received from Amazon several years ago.
https://www.amazon.com/Clore-Automot...s%2C205&sr=8-9
It has saved my bacon on more than one occasion and is even robust enough to start my Triton V-10 motorhome engine. I have also used it for portable power away from any power posts to run my laptop computer and inkjet printer, using the 12-volt adapters that I purchased for them. I also use those adapters in my motorhome.
lewisedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 03:15 AM   #26
Winnebago Owner

I don't think the available battery chargers are as useful or dependable as the older analog ones. The analog charger would charge and or boost a completely dead battery. I have a fairly new digital charger and I have an analog one. The older analog one still looks new. But, I must have a bad diode. Because, it will no longer charge a battery. I don't like the digital one for the reason of it won't charge a completely dead battery.

Once I left the radio on in my tow and the battery was dead when I arrived at the campground. It took only a very short charge from the battery charger to get her going.
Old 12-31-2020, 05:16 AM   #27
Winnebago Camper

Hello everyone...Happy safe holiday...
I don't see any mention here of this, so I'll put in my 2 cents.
When I had my 2014 Honda CRV set up to tow with my Journey motorhome, I used the Redi Brake mechanical tow system. The guys at the shop installing it, and the base plate, suggested this, and I'm no electrician, so I don't know "how" , but the basic set up is: There is a little flip switch now on my dash that disconnects almost all the "powered stuff "on the car. I'm sure the computer brains, etc. are still connected...(sorry, but I am a technological illiterate)...but most 'things' are off.
I have driven back and forth from Vermont to Baja, Mexico 4 times now (abt. 3500 miles each way) ..stopping at night, (not driving the car), starting the car in the morning to go through the steps that Honda requires for the transmission (I am flat towing), and the car starts right up. I'm sorry I can not give particulars, but obviously, there is a way to wire something , somehow, that with the flick of a switch, the car is set to tow without draining the battery...and no harm to the computer systems. Maybe you can look into this with a tech person who will know what the heck I am trying to talk about!!!
Happy trails...safe travel,
Dawn
Bajasoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 06:50 AM   #28
Winnebago Master

While I can't recommend a specific model I will make a generic comment that no matter which one you get that its imperative to charge it fully after each use even with the Lithium models. Yes the Lithium models are more forgiving about being run low or flat however the more complete discharge and charge cycles you make the fewer times you will be able to charge them back to near to original capacity so that instead of having many thousands of charge cycles that will bring you back to 90% +/- of the original capacity you may end up with relatively few charge cycles and fewer years of useful life.

One to stay away from would be the Stanley/Dewalt PowerIt 1000A which only looks impressive like a piece of construction equipment however even when new could not jump a V10 F53 or even a 1.8 Liter 4 Cylinder Diesel. Charge a Phone, Run the LED light or Pump up a Soccer Ball it did pretty good at but it was not up to jumping vehicles with high amperage starters despite the meter on it showing the internal battery was fully charged. For small 4 cylinder gasoline powered cars it has been fine.

Old 12-31-2020, 07:50 AM   #29
Winnebago Master

A week ago we had a big snow storm so I needed to plow snow. The old Bronco that I have the plow on didn't want to start. It was 10 degrees and everything was stiff and it didn't take long to drain the battery. I tried the charger but that was taking too long, so I borrowed my neighbors NOCO 3000 and it really spun the engine over and it started right up.

I have 12v power line to my tow vehicle, but sometimes the plug gets loose, and since I have to have the steering unlocked, the ignition is on and sometimes I have a dead battery, so I wanted one of my own.

I purchased the NOCO2000 which the dealer said was adequate for my needs.
My neighbor runs a repair shop for heavy equipment so he needed the larger model. It cost me just over $200.00 with tax. So far I haven't used it yet but I am impressed at how light weight it is. There was just a $10.00 difference between the lead acid battery type or the lithium battery. I chose the lithium.

It also has a flash light built in as well as jacks to charge cell phones, ect.
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 08:02 AM   #30
Winnebago Master

Here's what I have.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B016UG6PWE...NsaWNrPXRydWU=
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 08:34 AM   #31
Winnebago Owner

Just to throw a couple thought in. It's good to know how discharged your battery really is. Someone mentioned charging up a battery reading 11 volts, for instance, and that's an almost dead battery. Here's a simple voltage to percent of charge chart. Also to those mentioning connecting their toad to 12V line, do keep in mind that alternator is running your vehicle's power and lights, maintaining the engine battery, charging the deep cycle batteries, and now the trailed vehicle too. No problem with everything pretty much charged, but alternators can overheat under long-term heavy load.

https://images.app.goo.gl/jcqwenRG1cwYS93L9
Rick 99037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 08:51 AM   #32
Winnebago Owner

We own the XP-10 AntiGravity.
IOS 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 10:16 AM   #33
Winnebago Master

I carry a set of plain old jumper cables in the RV and a set in the toad.

They never need charging, never get discharged. They are small and compact and always available. Only about $20.

When I couldn't start our toad after towing for a couple of days, I pulled the toad to an open area, disconnected the toad and moved the MH up beside it so the jumper cables would reach.
al1florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 10:23 AM   #34
Winnebago Master

I do wonder about these small battery packs having enough energy to start a vehicle with a totally dead battery.

Most times when you need to jump start a vehicle you just need to give a little bit of help to the existing battery to get past the initial heavy load to get the starter going.

If the vehicle battery is really discharged you may need to charge up the battery for 15-20 minutes to be able to start the vehicle.
al1florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 02:08 PM   #35
Winnebago Camper

The Allstart 560 will start a diesel. I bought the new style https://www.speedwaymotors.com/AllStart-560-Horizon-Boost-Max-Battery-Jump-Starter-2500-AMP,269790.html
I have had to jump my Jeep when the electric steering ran the battery dead or night.
Sprint parts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 02:14 PM   #36
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by al1florida View Post
I carry a set of plain old jumper cables in the RV and a set in the toad.

They never need charging, never get discharged. They are small and compact and always available. Only about $20.

When I couldn't start our toad after towing for a couple of days, I pulled the toad to an open area, disconnected the toad and moved the MH up beside it so the jumper cables would reach.
I always carry jumper cables, as that is an inexpensive and quick way to solve this kind of problem. However inn this case the car was mounted on a dolly and the jumper cables would not reach from either the front of the RV or from the house batteries all the way to the car.

I tried pushing the car off of the dolly with the idea that I could then use the jumper cables, but it was just not possible for me alone, especially with my wife sitting in the car to make sure she could apply the brakes.
AJMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 02:17 PM   #37
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bajasoon View Post
Hello everyone...Happy safe holiday...
I don't see any mention here of this, so I'll put in my 2 cents.
When I had my 2014 Honda CRV set up to tow with my Journey motorhome, I used the Redi Brake mechanical tow system. The guys at the shop installing it, and the base plate, suggested this, and I'm no electrician, so I don't know "how" , but the basic set up is: There is a little flip switch now on my dash that disconnects almost all the "powered stuff "on the car. I'm sure the computer brains, etc. are still connected...(sorry, but I am a technological illiterate)...but most 'things' are off.
I have driven back and forth from Vermont to Baja, Mexico 4 times now (abt. 3500 miles each way) ..stopping at night, (not driving the car), starting the car in the morning to go through the steps that Honda requires for the transmission (I am flat towing), and the car starts right up. I'm sorry I can not give particulars, but obviously, there is a way to wire something , somehow, that with the flick of a switch, the car is set to tow without draining the battery...and no harm to the computer systems. Maybe you can look into this with a tech person who will know what the heck I am trying to talk about!!!
Happy trails...safe travel,
Dawn
I believe that you are referring to a flat-towed vehicle. My Honda Fit can only be towed on a dolly. Had I been able to flat-tow the car it would have been easy to disconnect the car, turn the RV around, open the hoods and use the jumper cables, but I was not able to get the car off of the dolly and the jumper cables were just not long enough to reach.
Old 12-31-2020, 02:20 PM   #38
Winnebago Master

Thank you, everyone, for your responses. I ordered a portable jumper system from Amazon, only to find that Costco had one for less money and that Amazon had dropped the price of the one I bought an additional 15% right after I placed the order.

Story of my life ...
Old 12-31-2020, 02:32 PM   #39
Winnebago Master

Mike, call Amazon and they may make it right. Worked for me in the past.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 04:36 PM   #40
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
Mike, call Amazon and they may make it right. Worked for me in the past.
I'll give it a try tomorrow and see what happens.

I am not sure that I can return an item just because they lowered the price without having to pay the return shipping so if I can get them to refund the difference I will consider myself ahead.