Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-25-2022, 06:14 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Placed an order: Minnie Winnie 31K

So a few days ago I placed an order with my local Flying W Winnie dealer. ETA is April (though I am highly skeptical).

We really appreciate the build quality of our current coach, we just want:

A. A little more space
B. Less complication (one less slide)
C. Fully useable with slide(s) in

Looking forward to the new coach, and still using my current coach through this season.

Some niggles on my current coach I hope will resolve in the new one:

A. Smoke intrusion in our current coach can be bad. The slide design on the rear slide doesn’t seal across the bottom on the INSIDE when the slide is DEPLOYED. I can get down on my knees and see the exterior slide seal and some daylight (slimrack rails don’t let the rubber lay flat). There is no interior seal at all across the bottom of the slide, and there is no area/place to have one installed. Bad design in my opinion, but that’s what I get for buying a new model.
B. AC resonates something fierce in the overhead of our current coach. Not sure if its the coach’s geometry, GE AC, or something else, but I’ve never experienced such resonance in the overhead before. Hopefully the new one will not have this issue.
Old 06-25-2022, 06:52 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Can we assume you are staying with the Minnie line and the 31K, not moving to some of the other 31K models? We tend to use shorthand which doesn't always tell the full story!

But some points that we liked onour Vista 31K seem to carry over tothe Minnie Winnie line, so I might point out what we liked/did not like. Keepin mind we have NEVER found one that totally did what we wanted, so my personal complaints may just be a personal problem!!

We tried to choose carefully on our last buy as we meant to keep it much longer then others we have had. We tend to avoid the big problems and big loss from buying new as we find it works for us to let other folks deal with the problems of new.
So we had a 2015 Vista 31ke and liked these features.

We wanted the bed that did not stick out into the weather, whether hot or cold and less drumming when it rained. We also wanted the option of sleeping without rebuilding the bed each time or requiring running out a slide as we did sometimes get in places where slide did not fit.
The end of the bed was tight to slide between it and the closet at the foot but we are smallish, so okay with that. I see on your model they have changed the door to move it forward from a foldingdoor at the end of the bed. Improvement there as it lets you shut off the bed WITH the bath, instead of open to the front if you went to the bath and wanted to close the bathroom door!
Complaints? We found the dropdown bed was a killer to get back up as it tended to be impossible for one and hard for two to get both sides to latch at the same time! Two people doing a 123 count to get both ends at the same time!!
Compartment doors tended to fly open if we crossed a dip at an angle so we added bungee to keep them out of traffic.
Loved it but sold it and now are happy to be without!

A good site for info here:
https://catalog3d.winnebagoind.com/menu/Parts.htm
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 06:58 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Sorry yes, Minnie Winnie.
Old 06-25-2022, 07:03 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Re: bed we really like that the bed is not on a slide at all. Less chance of leaks on my head (it’s happened in a different coach), a little quieter, and I have way more mattress choices since it’s a true queen one piece.
Old 06-25-2022, 07:44 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Green with envy. The 31-K looks so much like my almost trouble free, solid as a rock, older 31-C but with VAST improvements. Like the Godzilla engine and 6-speed tranny, 30 percent more volume in the fridge, WAY more counter space, a queen bed that is 5" longer, a "no crick-neck" TV etc, etc.

I have always liked the 220" wheelbase feature too. I think it has a lot to do with stability on the road (the previous owner of my rig added Helwigs, Bilsteins and a Steer Safe) ......... it drives just fine and I am sure the 31-K would do the same even though it appears to have 1 ft more overhang.

I am hoping the used market gets over the crazies soon (and "cash becomes king" again) so I can consider upgrading.

Good times and safe travels to ya.
youracman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 06:51 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Doing the wheelbase calculations, the 31k is at about 56% which is considered pretty good for road stability.

Wheel Base Ratio

As part of my deal I’m having the dealer swap the SuperSteer track bar from my current rig onto the new one.

I’m trying not to get too ‘excited’ as I’m a long ways off and really there is nobody at Winnebago that can tell me they’ll actually get it done in the spring given all the shortages. Who knows though maybe it’ll get done earlier (hahaha).
Old 06-29-2022, 08:14 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopopsy View Post
So a few days ago I placed an order with my local Flying W Winnie dealer. ETA is April (though I am highly skeptical).

We really appreciate the build quality of our current coach, we just want:

A. A little more space
B. Less complication (one less slide)
C. Fully useable with slide(s) in

Looking forward to the new coach, and still using my current coach through this season.

Some niggles on my current coach I hope will resolve in the new one:

A. Smoke intrusion in our current coach can be bad. The slide design on the rear slide doesn’t seal across the bottom on the INSIDE when the slide is DEPLOYED. I can get down on my knees and see the exterior slide seal and some daylight (slimrack rails don’t let the rubber lay flat). There is no interior seal at all across the bottom of the slide, and there is no area/place to have one installed. Bad design in my opinion, but that’s what I get for buying a new model.
B. AC resonates something fierce in the overhead of our current coach. Not sure if its the coach’s geometry, GE AC, or something else, but I’ve never experienced such resonance in the overhead before. Hopefully the new one will not have this issue.
We got our ordered Minnie Winnie 26T 3/3/22. I am warning you that neither the factory or the dealer,La Mesa, did the promised predelivery inspections. We are still having issues that would have been caught in an inspection. BEFORE you pay the balance due or sign any paperwork do your own inspection and get items corrected. Trust me Winnebago customer service doesn't care once you take delivery. As far as pride of workmanship we haven't seen it. Good luck.
4RLABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 08:33 PM   #8
Site Team

I ordered my 22M from Roy Robinson in Marysville, Washington. I took delivery of it in January of 2019. Arthur at the dealership checked it out for me before I arrived, and then we checked it out together. Everything worked just fine, and the delivery was excellent, by any standard of measure.
Eagle5
Old 06-29-2022, 08:36 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

I will say my selling dealer for my current rig did a pretty good job on their PDI. It’s one of the reasons I’m giving them another sale. Assuming the rig comes in within reasonable range of their promise date.
Old 07-03-2022, 05:14 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

2017 31K former rental owner here. I love the rig. I found new Bilstein shocks and a rear trac bar along with a proper alignment made a huge difference in handling. It handled well, but once we started towing a Jeep GC, it really started to wag the dog, which pushed me to add the upgrades. You are going to love the 3k+ CCC that the 31K offers! I only which the tanks (fresh, gray, and black) were larger, but we make do.

Being a former rental, I am able to see the wear and tear a little faster than on a brand new single owner rig. One thing I noticed, and it appears to be a common issue on the 31K, is the floor supports are spaced pretty far apart which leads to a springy floor over time. I know Winnebago had added supports for customers and I am sure they have fixed this problem by now, but something to keep an eye on. I welded up my own supports as I am way out of warranty. Really stiffened up the floor.

My, and my better half's, favorite upgrade we did was added a large residential single basin sink. I have the laminate counter top so it was easy to cut the opening larger and install it over-mount. It is tight front to back, especially to get you hands up there to work, but the counter is so long we lost minimal counter space overall and doing the dishes is so much easier!
Clotus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace