Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-29-2022, 06:02 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Outside Compartments Have Water In Them

I have 2017 minnie Winnie 26a. I have found water in the two holds on the passenger side aft of the propane. It is most prominent after driving in the rain but I can't seem to find any way for the water to get in. The hold directly under the water heater does seem to have condensation not directly related to driving. After my most recent trip, I also found a white substance in patches. Anyone have similar issues and solutions?
tperschb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 07:17 AM   #2
Winnebago Vita 24P

The seals around the doors should be cleaned and then use some dry silicone spray. The latches may have been bent from use, and the door may not be pushed tightly against the seals, I usually bend the latch arms to make a tight seal.
Old 08-29-2022, 09:36 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

White substance in patches?
Is this a film of dry white powder forming on the metal side of the compartment? If the metal is a very light green/blue color, you may have a problem!

We had a Vista with a corrosion problem on the metal which seemed to be some form of mismatch in the metal and the adhesive used to bond it to the other parts of the sidewalls. Our walls were a "sandwich" of several different layers, all bonded together.

We first thought the compartments might have been flooded during a really bad leak in black or grey tank but then the corrosion began to show in spaces where that would not have been the cause.
What we had may not bee what you have??
But if it is beginning at the edges of a panel or where fasteners are making a point for air to get in, it may be something that progresses and eventually penetrates the metal to expose the foam inside.
Since our problem was on the inside of the metal, we found no way to treat it but it seemed to help if we kept the area coated with a thick layer to keep air out. Like painting over rust, paint simply bubbled and fell off but using a thicker tar type coating lasted longer.

Check for problems inside other spaces where water is not involved, like the generator compartment as a way to verify that water is not invloved.

I will hope you do not have the same but just keep a watch and be aware!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2022, 10:11 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Check the box tubing that runs along the top of the compartment. It is likely not sealed well where the compartment is sealed to that. I’ve had 4 compartments leak in that area.
Jrprock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 08:34 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

We acquired our 2016 Minnie Winnie 27Q in 2018 and a year later we also discovered 2 out of the compartments on the starboard side were wet after a long trip and a lot of rain. Didn't see any obvious leaks, so after scraping and wire brushing to remove any loose paint and sealing material, I gave each 2 coats of Flex-Seal inside and out. As Morich mentioned, I also took a close look at all of the door gaskets and found some to be damaged and a couple had a small gap there the two ends met. So, after removing the old gaskets and cleaning the mounting surfaces, I replaced them with similar sealing material from Home Depot. I also adjusted the latches to give just a little tighter fit. Both efforts seemed to have cured the leakers so I did the same for all the other compartments and doors too. They are still watertight now even after a couple more trips on the Alaska Highway.
Old 09-08-2022, 05:36 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Same problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by tperschb View Post
I have 2017 minnie Winnie 26a. I have found water in the two holds on the passenger side aft of the propane. It is most prominent after driving in the rain but I can't seem to find any way for the water to get in. The hold directly under the water heater does seem to have condensation not directly related to driving. After my most recent trip, I also found a white substance in patches. Anyone have similar issues and solutions?
The passenger side storage hold behind the entry steps of my 2021 22M gets very wet in the rain as well. I never had a problem with Jayco, Starcraft or Scamp units I’ve owned so I just chalked it up to inferior Winnebago quality.
arthur145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 06:08 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

One thing we can miss very easily is making things too tight!
Works the same on ouside lights as compartment doors. If there is water possible to get it, it will, so it is always good to think like a rain drop and leave a place for it to get out!
When looking at how a dropmight get in, we need to do everything to keep it out, but looking lower, check to make sure that there is a path to go out at the bottom and DON"T seal that hole to make it pile up on the metal rim and run over inside!

Harder to describe than if we look it over!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2022, 09:36 AM   #8
Ronzo

I had the same problem on my 2015 27q, but realized that I had a leak in the water closet main line that was letting water into the double floor and consequently into the two passenger-side compartments. Winnebago has a double floor on this model(and I assume other models) that allow them to run electrical and water lines...great idea, but also a headache. I had water leakage in both compartments...drenched everything. The problem seems to be remedied...but oh s**t, here comes another.
Ronzo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water