Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-05-2023, 10:37 AM   #1
Ckoch1164

Outlets not working off shore power

Have a 2019 Aspect 30 less than 15k miles with 500 watts solar
Q: why do kitchen and bathroom plugs and microwave ONLY work with shore power and generator on?

Please:
What am I missing? Feel free to call me, if you’re so inclined.
Thanks for your insights
Chris Koch
ckoch1164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 11:10 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Good chance there is a problerm with getting the inverter turned on! I added a snip of drawings to find it, if needed. There may be an interior switch to turn this on or a breaker or switch on the unit itself. This inverter can make up to 1000 watt of AC power by using the coach batteries supply. But keep in mind that this is not a lot and not unlimited, so watch not to run the batteries totally down!

Looks like outside compartment froward from the steps?
Click image for larger version

Name:	inverter.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	185121
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 11:51 AM   #3
Recon Scout

If you're saying that some of your plugs work off of the solar/inverter but not all. That is normal, In every coach I've had there were only a few plugs and appliances that worked on inverter power. Pretty much the refer, hot water, and a few outlets. If you can't find any that work then I agree that the inverter is not working. Any chance you have the battery disconnect by the door off?
Fedexflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 02:42 PM   #4
Site Team

Your Class C motorhome has 12v batteries and your solar is also 12v. So, obviously, appliances that run on 110v like your microwave and receptacles for 110v outlets only operate when plugged into a 110v power source. This source can be shore power, your 4000w Onan generator OR a DC to AC inverter.

Assuming your 2019 came with an inverter then you need to be familiar with its power limits and also which receptacles are connected to the inverter. Since you say that your microwave doesnt work then that would suggest that the inverter in your RV is not connected to the microwave, possibly because it is not powerful enough to run such a power intensive device. It is also common that only specific outlets are powered when on inverted AC. Usually outlets near TVs, near the bed and sometimes in the bathroom and kitchen. But not all of them just a few.

Obviously, you also need to know how to operate your inverter and have fully charged house batteries to use the inverter.

Do you know the specific details about the inverter on your RV?
Old 02-05-2023, 02:58 PM   #5
Site Team

For some reason I am unable to find any listing or brochure, etc. for a 2019 Aspect motorhome on the Winnebago website. I’m using an iPad and the website doesn’t always work well with a mobile browser.

The newest brochure I could find for the Aspect was for 2017. In that brochure the inverter is listed as 1000w. This would fully explain why your microwave would not be powered via the inverter. Microwaves can need more wattage to operate than your inverter can provide.

It would take modifications costing a few thousand dollars or more to upgrade your RV for this purpose.
Old 02-05-2023, 03:02 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckoch1164 View Post
Have a 2019 Aspect 30 less than 15k miles with 500 watts solar
Q: why do kitchen and bathroom plugs and microwave ONLY work with shore power and generator on?

Please:
What am I missing? Feel free to call me, if youre so inclined.
Thanks for your insights
Chris Koch
The info about make, model and capacity of your Inverter.

I have 1,000 watt Inverter by Magnum Energy and it runs NOTHING in the Kitchen, Bath or Microwave as designed by WBGO. I don't need to run those things off my batteries although I did a custom mod so I can now run my Fridge off the Inverter, but I only do that when driving because the engine and alternator is running to keep my batteries charged.

IMO, what you have described is a good thing especially for the sake of your batteries.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3; Roadmaster Nighthawk 676; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; Southwire EMS 44270/34951 Display 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power, shore power