Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-18-2020, 06:55 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Operating Temps for 2020 Navion Sprinter Chassis

All,

I just purchased a new 2020 Navion 24D. Living in Colorado, we have some pretty impressive mountain grades. Since I am planning to bring a toad, I want to configure an OBDII scanner reader on my iPad to monitor Coolant Temp, Oil Temp, Tranny temp, etc. I scanned the owners manual for operating specs to no avail. I have also used the search feature on this forum with not much luck.

Does any experienced Navion owner know what the operating specs are? I figure if I start pushing against the limits, before I do any damage, I can disconnect the toad and ask the DW to drive until we find gentler grades to traverse.

Thanks
ozon8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 09:02 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Why not set up your OBD II monitor app, and do some basic testing yourself? Drive on the flat in 70F, no head/cross winds, clear skies, loaded for travel, no towed, and note the temp ranges at different speeds. Then add the towed, same conditions, record those temps. That will give you a benchmark of optimal temps in optimal conditions.
Personally, I've never worried about towing in the mountains, and have done some in the Appalachians near Great Smoky Mountains NP. Not quite as bad as the Eisenhower or Vail Passes, or I-17 between Flagstaff and Phoenix, but there are some spots that do mimic them. With tighter curves. No problems overheating. The 3.0L V6 turbo diesel loves hills.
Winterbagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 10:23 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

2020 View/Navion engine operating

The 2020 Navion 24D is on the newest Sprinter chassis. We have the View equivalent with the MB VS30 chassis designation. Part of the newer model is the MBUX, which is the information/entertainment system with a 10" dash display. One of the functions on the MBUX display is real time temps, HP, torque and probably oil temp. I can't remember for sure and the rig is at the dealer for repair (six times in six months).
But the display shows the operating limits. It also displays the HP and torque curve like on an engine dyno. Very interesting data especially when climbing the Rocky mountains. We have pulled a <3000# dinghy on I-70 from Grand Junction to Denver without any problems. Heavier dinghy could cause a problem. I believe suggested tow range is up to 4200#.
oppositelock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 11:55 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

The suggested tow range is anything that doesn't exceed the GCWR of 15,250 lbs, or the maximum hitch drawbar rating of 5,000 lbs, or both.
You can safely pull anything (towed) that weighs less than 5,000lbs, as long as the combined weight of the coach and towed doesn't exceed 15,250 lbs.
Example: If your coach weighs 10,250 lbs loaded for travel, then you can pull (15250-10250) = 5000lbs. (GCWR - GVW = available towing capacity under 5000lbs)
Our Wrangler weighs 4500 lbs loaded for travel, and our coach weighs 10,600lbs loaded for travel, so (10600 + 4500) = 15100 lbs total, which is 150 lbs under the GCWR for my cab chassis year.
Old 05-19-2020, 12:06 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Not familiar with the vehicle, but assuming this is a diesel I would look for an OBD-II device that will give you readings on regen status. Not all of them will. This one will for my Chevy Duramax, but it does not indicate it gives "enhanced support" for MB (and it's out of stock in any event). As long as you're buying one you might as well get that functionality.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Now, not knowing anything else about your vehicle, about the only other temp I would "worry" about is the transmission fluid, and assuming a full synthetic I wouldn't panic until about 230-240, but I'd not be happy over 220. I think this limit is likely more dependent on the fluid than the vehicle.

Finally, again not knowing anything about your vehicle I probably would monitor your coolant temperature just to see how accurate the in-dash gauge is. More of a gauge check than concern things might get bad in normal pass conditions.
Old 05-19-2020, 12:09 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterbagoal View Post
The suggested tow range is anything that doesn't exceed the GCWR of 15,250 lbs, or the maximum hitch drawbar rating of 5,000 lbs, or both. .
Good time to plug Cat Scale. You can weigh both at the same time (with separate readings for front/rear axles on the MH and the tow vehicle) for $12. They have two apps, one to pay and one to locate the scales. Make sure you have the payment app setup before you get there so you don't hold other people up.

https://catscale.com/
Old 05-19-2020, 02:51 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodspike View Post
Not familiar with the vehicle, but assuming this is a diesel I would look for an OBD-II device that will give you readings on regen status. Not all of them will. This one will for my Chevy Duramax, but it does not indicate it gives "enhanced support" for MB (and it's out of stock in any event). As long as you're buying one you might as well get that functionality.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
It is a diesel, the MB 3500 Sprinter is a diesel chassis. The Scangauge II by Linear Logic has a dozen or more MB 3.0L V6 turbo diesel "X-Gauges" that can be added to it, by the user, to watch specifics like the regen status (RGN ON/OFF) of the emission/exhaust system. I've used it on occasions where I see an unusual spike in oil/coolant/transmission temps. It can sometimes be attributed to an ongoing regen.
Quote:
Now, not knowing anything else about your vehicle, about the only other temp I would "worry" about is the transmission fluid, and assuming a full synthetic I wouldn't panic until about 230-240, but I'd not be happy over 220. I think this limit is likely more dependent on the fluid than the vehicle.
Probably true. My normal in optimum conditions for TFT (transmission fluid temp) is around 150F - 170F.

Quote:
Finally, again not knowing anything about your vehicle I probably would monitor your coolant temperature just to see how accurate the in-dash gauge is. More of a gauge check than concern things might get bad in normal pass conditions.
The Sprinter has a coolant temperature gauge buried in one of the dash menus, and it's fairly accurate, as compared to the SGII fWT (water/coolant) X-gauge. Normal for me under optimum conditipons is around 198F.
Old 05-19-2020, 02:55 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Good time to plug Cat Scale. You can weigh both at the same time (with separate readings for front/rear axles on the MH and the tow vehicle) for $12. They have two apps, one to pay and one to locate the scales. Make sure you have the payment app setup before you get there so you don't hold other people up.

https://catscale.com/
I'm too cheap for that.
I take my vehicles over to the nearby MTO Inspection Station on the freeway. Or any inspection station in Ontario will usually weight you for free if they're not busy, or they just leave the auxilliary scales at the back of the inspection station on, for DIYers. I prefer to DIY it.
One of these days, I'll give the CAT scales a try.
Old 05-19-2020, 04:51 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterbagoal View Post
I'm too cheap for that.
I take my vehicles over to the nearby MTO Inspection Station on the freeway. Or any inspection station in Ontario will usually weight you for free if they're not busy, or they just leave the auxilliary scales at the back of the inspection station on, for DIYers. I prefer to DIY it.
One of these days, I'll give the CAT scales a try.
The advantage of the Cat Scale is giving different axle weights as part of one weigh. That may not be all that important on some vehicles, but it's nice information to have.

But yeah, I did the free thing at least once.
Old 05-19-2020, 05:54 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
The advantage of the Cat Scale is giving different axle weights as part of one weigh. That may not be all that important on some vehicles, but it's nice information to have.

But yeah, I did the free thing at least once.
The free scale at the nearest MTO is too short to weigh the entire Navion in one go. I have to weigh separate axles and combine. The Wrangler fits on it.
Old 05-21-2020, 10:34 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Operating Temps for 2020 Navion

Thanks to all that replied to my original question. I am making the maiden voyage over the Memorial Day weekend towing a Jeep Cherokee, five people and two Australian Shepards and plan to monitor temps. I will report back after the holiday trip on what temps I see for PIDs available to my OBDII scanner app.

Cheers!
ozon8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 10:40 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

"5 people, 2 dogs, and a Jeep Cherokee"? I suspect you will be overweight, probably both GVWR and GCWR, by quite a bit.
I would suggest your first stop be a CAT or other reliable vehicle scale.
2 people, 2 dogs and cargo, pulling a heavy towed (~4000lbs), would be close to overweight.
Old 05-21-2020, 12:41 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozon8r View Post
Thanks to all that replied to my original question. I am making the maiden voyage over the Memorial Day weekend towing a Jeep Cherokee, five people and two Australian Shepards and plan to monitor temps.
Cheers!
Again I'm not familiar with your vehicle, but I would suggest reviewing your owners manual on the chassis. Many if not most vehicles recommend a break-in period, and that typically includes no towing. Even if it doesn't say anything, it may be best to leave the towed vehicle behind the first trip or two.

Also, just a reminder to look into some sort of braking system for the towed vehicle when you do tow it. That's a lot of weight to stop without brakes on the tow vehicle, not to mention what might happen in an emergency stop.
Old 05-22-2020, 08:27 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

I am at one with the owners manual having read front to back then back to front . I have towed many miles pulling travel trailers and fifth wheels, but first time in a motorhome coming from a 3/4 ton diesel pick-up.

WRT to weight, thanks for the heads up on the app. I am on a first name basis with the local CAT scale owner. Hoping at some point they offer a frequent flier type program LOL.

Although off the original topic and WRT to toad brake system, I bought into the RVi 3 system for braking, TPMS on both coach and toad, toad battery charging and monitoring on the toad. While the RVi customer service is excellent, the reliance on Android OS has proven to be a significantly negative experience. Separate review forthcoming.
Old 05-24-2020, 04:39 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

What are the issues you’ve had? Anything us 2020 view owners should know?
Frazier5421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 07:49 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

No help from Mercedes

I have a 2016 View on the Sprinter chassis. When I installed my gauge I tried to find operating temperature ranges online without success. I then asked Mercedes and was told that if there was a problem the vehicle would tell me. They provided absolutely nothing. So I'm winging it, using my first few trips as a benchmark and watching to see if there are any huge variations. The only real eye opener is exhaust gas temperature before the turbo gate. Gets really hot sometimes until the gate opens.
Hatrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 08:01 AM   #17
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozon8r View Post
I am at one with the owners manual having read front to back then back to front . I have towed many miles pulling travel trailers and fifth wheels, but first time in a motorhome coming from a 3/4 ton diesel pick-up.

WRT to weight, thanks for the heads up on the app. I am on a first name basis with the local CAT scale owner. Hoping at some point they offer a frequent flier type program LOL.

Although off the original topic and WRT to toad brake system, I bought into the RVi 3 system for braking, TPMS on both coach and toad, toad battery charging and monitoring on the toad. While the RVi customer service is excellent, the reliance on Android OS has proven to be a significantly negative experience. Separate review forthcoming.
Please give review of the RVII braking system. I’m needing to buy a system and have been seriously considering this one. Thanks!
larichhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 08:30 AM   #18
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatrock View Post
The only real eye opener is exhaust gas temperature before the turbo gate. Gets really hot sometimes until the gate opens.
Not familiar with the 2016, but assuming this is a turbo diesel you might be noticing particulate filter "regens." Those can get exhaust temps up well over 1000 degrees as the system burns off soot that has collected.

https://www.hotshotsecret.com/dpf-re...les-explained/
Old 05-26-2020, 05:28 PM   #19
Winnebago Owner

Have Navion 24M on MB Spriner Chassis, live in the Springs @ 6800 ft elevation, travel to the west coast (sea Level) no less than 4 times per year via Hwy 40, HWY 50 (my favorite), HWY 70 or HWY 80 depending on weather and hwy maintenance activity. Frequently traverse Wilkerson Pass @ 9500 ft. All have pass elevations in excess of 6,000 feet, some in excess of 10,000 ft. My Navion is loaded with add-ons including a 350 lb toolbox mounted on the trailer hitch receiver, self levelers, travlr antenna and porcelain toilet. I beefed up the suspension with front & rear Tembren overload springs, Bilsteins and Helwig sway bar.
No add-on temp gauges but have had no known overheating issues, Sprinter down shifts into 3rd and runs between 2800 and 3200 RPM, about 50 mph. No real performance or reliability issues.
Shedboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 12:58 PM   #20
Winnebago Camper

Maiden voyage complete and only issue related to the toad 6 round pin plug for lights. Left turn then right turn died due to loose connections. Love that the MBUX system caught and notified me of the fault. We dropped down 5000 feet and then climbed 5000 feet over the total trip.

Next trip is from Denver to Frisco mid June via the Eisenhower tunnel climbing from 5300’ to 11,150’ and will include the Jeep, kayaks, paddle boards but only four people and dogs. I will report on the results of the famous Ike gauntlet once completed.

Regarding temps, I found the oil and coolant temp in the menu and kept an eye on each of them. The oil is red at 283 degrees while the the coolant is red at 230. Never approached either over the 1300 mile round trip with Jeep Cherokee, five people, and two dogs in tow. Outside temps hit mid 90s while towing and the coach never struggled. I do wish there was a gauge to monitor the transmission temp which I never found a pid for in the obdii scanner nor on the dash menu.

Thanks to all that posted up comments, questions, and advice. Much appreciated.

Tags
chassis