Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-18-2019, 06:27 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

One Place monitor shows wrong battery voltage

My friend's coach, 2015 25T says his One Place Monitor panel says 7 volt for house and 6 for chassis. Both batteries read 13 plus at battery terminals with meter and everything works. Any ideas? TIA Larry 2014 Reyo P
ldfeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 07:18 AM   #2
Site Team

Here is the troubleshooting info and learning reset for the OnePlace Monitor:

http://www.precisioncircuitsinc.com/...e-Shooting.pdf
Old 08-06-2019, 10:44 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
Here is the troubleshooting info and learning reset for the OnePlace Monitor:

http://www.precisioncircuitsinc.com/...e-Shooting.pdf
I have the same issue. My chassis battery is reading 4.something . I did a reset and nothing changed. I'm not mechanically oriented so don't know that I can check the voltage as suggested in the troubleshooting guide. Any other suggestions? 2012 Winnebago View 24J
pjm1128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 04:19 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjm1128 View Post
I have the same issue. My chassis battery is reading 4.something . I did a reset and nothing changed. I'm not mechanically oriented so don't know that I can check the voltage as suggested in the troubleshooting guide. Any other suggestions? 2012 Winnebago View 24J
There isn't really much other option as we need to know if the unit is getting the correct battery level before we can decide what needs to be fixed. As a place to start, we need to know that the chassis battery is charged to at least 12 volt and then we need to know that level is getting to the monitor so that it can begin to read it.
So is your interest up to doing a few checks if we offer advice/ help? I've helped train a number of folks who did not plan to be techs but converted once it was a matter of retraining for the job or leaving.
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 04:37 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
There isn't really much other option as we need to know if the unit is getting the correct battery level before we can decide what needs to be fixed. As a place to start, we need to know that the chassis battery is charged to at least 12 volt and then we need to know that level is getting to the monitor so that it can begin to read it.
So is your interest up to doing a few checks if we offer advice/ help? I've helped train a number of folks who did not plan to be techs but converted once it was a matter of retraining for the job or leaving.
I guess I left out some salient details: I have the chassis battery on a PulseTech charger/desulfator that is reading 100% and the engine turns over easily so I would assume the battery is at full charge. Would that be a reasonable assumption? I am not adverse to checking some stuff out if feasible for me to do so (with limited tools at my disposal).
Old 08-06-2019, 07:56 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Okay, yes, that does likely take that question away. Lots of times, I would have assumed you would have checked that but then I also know that there are times when we just don't know what we don't know, so it pays to ask, even if it is kind of silly to ask if it was checked. From that point, it does get into some things that may require taking the monitor panel off the wall and unplugging the connections. But we can do some " thinking" to see what we might find without doing any heavy testing.
When you look at the monitor and it shows the chassis battery at 4. ? , does it show the coach battery at somewhere like 12 or above?
That would indicate that the ground that is used for measuring the coach and the chassis battery levels is good, so the problem is with the chassis battery level only.
One first step might be to look at setting it back to default if that has not been done. Kind of a way to clear it's mind like we might a computer?
Looking down at the bottom of page 7 there is a method to put it back to default settings , so I would try that as a way to make sure it hasn't just got it's little mind in a bind!
Another, "no tools needed", test is to see how the monitor reads the battery when the motor is running, revved up, or not running. Does the level on the monitor change? When running fast the battery on the chassis might be expected to go up like 14 and when not running and something like the radio on, it might drop down below 12 so we would expect the monitor to change, even if it is not right.
To really get down to testing that we need to use a meter and put one probe in 5 and the other in 2 and then 8 to test if the chassis and coach battery levels are actually getting to the monitor.
But we might get lucky and setting it back to default might clear the whole question???
Is this a new to you RV? Things can get lots of folks playing with the electronics when RVs are on the sales lot, so things like this can be suspect if the dealer is not really, really careful in checking EVERYTHING!
Do a little checking and see what shows up!
Old 08-06-2019, 09:25 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Okay, yes, that does likely take that question away. Lots of times, I would have assumed you would have checked that but then I also know that there are times when we just don't know what we don't know, so it pays to ask, even if it is kind of silly to ask if it was checked. From that point, it does get into some things that may require taking the monitor panel off the wall and unplugging the connections. But we can do some " thinking" to see what we might find without doing any heavy testing.
When you look at the monitor and it shows the chassis battery at 4. ? , does it show the coach battery at somewhere like 12 or above?
That would indicate that the ground that is used for measuring the coach and the chassis battery levels is good, so the problem is with the chassis battery level only.
One first step might be to look at setting it back to default if that has not been done. Kind of a way to clear it's mind like we might a computer?
Looking down at the bottom of page 7 there is a method to put it back to default settings , so I would try that as a way to make sure it hasn't just got it's little mind in a bind!
Another, "no tools needed", test is to see how the monitor reads the battery when the motor is running, revved up, or not running. Does the level on the monitor change? When running fast the battery on the chassis might be expected to go up like 14 and when not running and something like the radio on, it might drop down below 12 so we would expect the monitor to change, even if it is not right.
To really get down to testing that we need to use a meter and put one probe in 5 and the other in 2 and then 8 to test if the chassis and coach battery levels are actually getting to the monitor.
But we might get lucky and setting it back to default might clear the whole question???
Is this a new to you RV? Things can get lots of folks playing with the electronics when RVs are on the sales lot, so things like this can be suspect if the dealer is not really, really careful in checking EVERYTHING!
Do a little checking and see what shows up!
The house batteries are showing 12.5v and the chassis battery has ranged from 3.9 to 4.something so it does vary. I did try a reset per the troubleshooting guide but that didn't seem to do anything. This RV is new to me in the last year but till recently had not had much chance to use it. To be honest I never really paid much attention to the battery settings and everything worked. I have a multimeter but haven't a clue how to use it appropriately to test the pins. I certainly don't want to cause any damage or short anything out! I appreciate your trying to work thru this with me!
Old 08-07-2019, 08:19 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Okay, now we can get serious! Having a meter but unsure of how to use it is pretty common, so no harm in giving a few tips. Many have them but don't have trouble often enough to really get down how to use them.
First big point is that we DO NOT want to mess things up! Step one is to know that we do not want the probes to touch two points together to short them out as that can cause harm --or sparks! Second is to be sure that the meter is set to the correct range or setting for what we are doing.
Basic safety for the meter is to have it on "V" or voltage setting when we are unsure if voltage is there or not. Setting of DCV or ACV is not so critical as neither should burn out the meter but when we want to get a reading we will need to go to AC or DC as needed. For batteries, use DC. The problem with the setting is that some meter will burn out or blow a fuse if we stick it on a voltage while it is on the resistance/ ohms or the funny "squiggle" setting.
Think of voltage as how much it wants to get from A to Z, and ohms or resistance is how much things are try to keep it from getting there? Dirty or loose connections are a major cause of high resistance and a wire that comes off is infinite resistance.
So for what we need to find here, we can stick either probe on the battery terminals and it will tell us how much charge the battery has. We could get techie and debate which probe goes where but not needed as all we want is the level and it is not often going to be backwards, so I keep it simple and ignore which goes where. The number will be plus or minus but we don't care!
So once we know what the battery reads, we need to know that the wiring from there to the monitor is good, so we need to get at the plug mentioned in the trouble shooting. Can't say how that is done but take a look to see if it clips on or is screwed on the wall?
Then when/if you get the plug off the monitor, stick one meter probe in the hole 5 on the plug from the battery or touch it to something like the frame for ground and the other probe to 2 and see the coach battery reads what the monitor says. Gives a boost to the confidence to see you are doing it right?
Then to test the chassis battery level getting to the monitor, move the second probe from 2 to 8 and that should be near the same as the battery reading. A couple tenths lower might be expected due to the resistance of the wires and connections along the way but definitely not 4. 0 Volts!
If the battery reads right on the plug, the next step is to say the monitor is not working right.
But first step for me, would still be to go through the reset AGAin just to be sure I was not walking past something obvious as electronics like computers and phones have a nasty way of being just plain silly about doing what I want!!
AND I don't want to do a bunch of work and worry if a few button pushes might get me clear.
An alternate to fixing/replacing the monitor is this little gadget:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Mini-Ca...366062b609bdb3
Old 08-07-2019, 10:29 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

"First big point is that we DO NOT want to mess things up!"

EXACTLY! Which is why I haven't done anything along those lines with unscrewing the OnePlace from the wall and messing with a multimeter. The thought of doing a major OOOPS scares me. I will try the reset again and see what happens.

This is the multimeter I have:https://www.lowes.com/pd/Southwire-D...ter/1000098698
Old 08-07-2019, 01:18 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

No joy on reset attempt. :-(
Old 08-07-2019, 02:16 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Bummer!
Old 08-07-2019, 03:03 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Bummer!
Guess I could unscrew the plate from the wall and see if there's anything obvious. This is the multimeter that I have: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Southwire-D...ter/1000098698 Afraid of turning the dial to the wrong thing and making things worse and right now everything works. I actually have an appt at Lichtsinn in Forest City early in Sept if it's not resolved by then but wouldn't mind pursuing to see if it can be sorted out.

Tags
ace, battery