Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-23-2019, 07:40 AM   #1
bkg
Winnebago Owner

OEM horn on the Mercedes chassis

I was shocked the first time I used the horn on our MBS Winnebago View 24V.

It seems the OEM horn falls very short for the size of this 12,000 pound vehicle. Even for a Class B unit - the horn doesn't fit the vehicle.
I realize in Europe most vehicles have the "Herbie" horn, but here in the U.S., we seem to match the horn to vehicle size and weight.
A recent traffic situation, I had someone that wasn't paying attention pull out in front of me and the Herbie horn lacked in getting their attention and as we know, its not easy to stop 12,000 pound motorhome.

Has anyone upgraded? I'm not looking for airhorn but rather an upgrade to the OEM buzzer that would blare out a little more than 20 feet.

Bobby
Old 11-23-2019, 11:11 AM   #2
Site Team

Might I recommend a nice Train Horn?
Old 11-24-2019, 09:17 AM   #3
Ed & Lynn

I had the same issue on my previous coach, a 35' class A. The Ford horn was quite anemic! I replaced it with this, which made a world of difference....and it was quite easy to do.
https://www.amazon.com/Stebel-116900...a-684885462432
CoastalEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 03:24 PM   #4
Just Trying to Help

Bobby-

I bought four electric horns for our Class A:

PIAA 85112 (PIAA Web site and Amazon)
PIAA 85115 (PIAA Web site and Amazon)

Each one takes about 3A at 12V, so a 15A fuse is needed for all four. I powered them through a relay with 14/16 AWG wiring, directly from the chassis battery, as the original horn wiring on our Ford-based chassis is only 18 AWG.

The sound out of all four horns together is a nice chord- sort of like a 1972 Cadillac DeVille. Plenty loud, too.

I read a number of mixed reviews for one of the more popular electric-air combo units, which is a different manufacturer than the Stebel Ed used. Perhaps that is a more reliable model. I also wanted to avoid installing an air compressor, which ruled out "train" horns. I almost went with a dual-trumpet all-stainless-steel electric boat horn, but decided the PIAA horns fit better under the hood than the trumpets.

If you went with two PIAA horns, I'd go with the 85115, the lower-frequency pair.

Hella makes some nice horns, but I found each of them too high-pitched for my taste (at least, the sampled sounds they post online).

If you go with a better horn, let us know which one you chose.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 08:32 AM   #5
" Winnie Nutt "

Sprinter Horn Replacement

What horn replacement will fit / work on the 2018 Mercedes Sprinter ? The horn that came on the View 24D is not loud enough . Not interested in what sound it produces just something that is loud as heck on the highway and gets attention of other trucks .
Buddy’s RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 04:25 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkg View Post
I was shocked the first time I used the horn on our MBS Winnebago View 24V.

It seems the OEM horn falls very short for the size of this 12,000 pound vehicle. Even for a Class B unit - the horn doesn't fit the vehicle.
I realize in Europe most vehicles have the "Herbie" horn, but here in the U.S., we seem to match the horn to vehicle size and weight.
A recent traffic situation, I had someone that wasn't paying attention pull out in front of me and the Herbie horn lacked in getting their attention and as we know, its not easy to stop 12,000 pound motorhome.

Has anyone upgraded? I'm not looking for airhorn but rather an upgrade to the OEM buzzer that would blare out a little more than 20 feet.

Bobby
I got a horn(actually 2 horns , in a set) from Harbor Freight. Just added one, by tapping into the existing horn wiring harness. It's a little tight, under the grille, but the horn snugly fits.
Old 12-22-2019, 08:49 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Had same issue..

Bought a pair of Hella “trumpets “, really regular car horns, on eBay for less than $20.00..

Switched them through a “Hella” fog light relay.. spliced into factory horn wire for relay control. Powered off of starter solenoid through a small fuse panel..

Finding a place to mount everything is the hard part.. entire front is plastic

On edit.. horns..only mine are black.. https://www.ebay.com/itm/HELLA-00742...-/383202827243

This is the relay.. you only use 4 of the five pins (use pin 30, not 30a)
https://www.ebay.com/p/666641851
Beach-Rat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chassis