Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-27-2021, 04:06 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Angry Norcold refrig does not work on propane

My 2018 View has a Norcold model N3150 refrigerator. It works on DC or AC but not on propane gas. The unit fires initially with a beautiful blue flame for 30 seconds when the igniter stops firing and the gas valve closes. Propane works for everything else. Norcold said they believe it's the main power board but they don't know when they could get a replacement for $250. Any ideas? Thanks.
Dougherzog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 04:28 PM   #2
Site Team

Other people make boards for the Norcold. Dinosaur Boards is one people seem to like:
https://www.dinosaurelectronics.com/Nor_boards.htm

Besides a control board, I'd want to be sure the igniter/flame sensor was working properly.

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f84/norc...lp-261176.html
Old 08-27-2021, 05:19 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Before jumping to the board as the defect, some other options may avoid that big problem.
Have you checked the lights for error codes and gone to the internet for manuals for troubleshooting those light indications?

While the board can be a problem, they are often just not getting the right info due to small points like loose wires, etc. that can be much simpler to fix than acquiring and replacing a board, only to find it is not the problem.
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 06:47 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

For superb troubleshooting and thorough understanding of how your fridge works, highly recommend going to myrvworks.com. he has all the manuals archived for all rv fridges. His YouTube channel also has EXCELLENT info on how to troubleshoot just about every fridge problem known to rvers. Good luck

Looking forward to our next Chapter!!
TheArthurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 06:59 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

This may help. It mentions a number of things to do before suspecting the board, but, it mentions your symptoms as a power board issue so Norcold may be right.

On the other hand, there's nothing to be lost by trying the other fixes first.

https://thenorcoldguy.com/blog/norco...lp-all-models/

He's also a source for parts.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 08:20 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

One of the big follies of RV repair as done by the pros is that they often do change the board as a first guess and it fixes the problem, so they swear by that method, but if we do it ourselves, we may find that simply getting good clean contacts fixes the problem , too.
What putting in a new board does is give good wiring connections!
Quick, easy, simple for the repair shop but expensive for you!!
Old 09-14-2021, 03:56 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Here's a link to the service manual. It has a lot of troubleshooting charts:

https://norcold.com/wp-content/uploa...3141-N3150.pdf
Old 09-20-2021, 03:23 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

I had that happen on a new 5th wheel that I had. Now you are probably going to laugh how I fixed it but I thought it might be a stuck propane valve. So I gave it a couple of little hits with the handle of a screw driver and it started working and never had a problem with it again. Sounds kind of strange but it worked for me.
butch50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 03:34 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by butch50 View Post
I had that happen on a new 5th wheel that I had. Now you are probably going to laugh how I fixed it but I thought it might be a stuck propane valve. So I gave it a couple of little hits with the handle of a screw driver and it started working and never had a problem with it again. Sounds kind of strange but it worked for me.
I find this is a pretty common item if the Rv has been stored for a long period without moving the solenoid and it does make the use of a flow chart for troubleshooting really a big help as it will walk us through the correct procedure to spot the valve not opening when it should.
Old 09-20-2021, 03:46 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
I find this is a pretty common item if the Rv has been stored for a long period without moving the solenoid and it does make the use of a flow chart for troubleshooting really a big help as it will walk us through the correct procedure to spot the valve not opening when it should.
Mine was on a new unit that I special ordered. It didn't set for any period of time till we used it but the valve may have been around a while prior to using on my rig by the manufacturer.
butch50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 05:37 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Great news, I disconnected the burner nozzle, itself, blew it out with compressed air, put it back, and it WORKED. Must have been some junk in it. I had nothing to loose at that time. Thanks again, all.
Dougherzog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 06:05 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

I'm glad that worked. Clogged jets aren't uncommon.

Tags
norcold, propane