Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-13-2019, 12:27 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

New to Winne view and this site

Hello All,
We recently purchased a use 2007 View and so far we love it. We are planning on a trip out west this summer and anticipate boon-doogling some. My question is with a full tank of water, and a full tank of propane, roughly how long can we make it without any hook-up? I know it will be a function of how much we use AC and other electrical but just trying to get some idea. Thanks in advance for any insight into this.
Cheers!
wolfcreeknc
wolfcreeknc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 04:55 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

you already answered your question.... it depends.

If your gen is propane, you will be limited by that since your hot water, heat, AC, refrigerator and cooking use only one source of fuel - propane

If you have a diesel gen you can run it plenty since it uses only 1/3gal/hour.

If you have a propane gen if I recall it was about 2-3 times the gph and have a 13gal tank that can fill to 80%.... about 10gal useful fuel or 20hrs for the gen. Obviously you can search that for a better use rates.

Do you have solar to recharge your batteries?

As for water, again, it depends upon how long you shower or wash dishes. Most people boondocking take military showers and save water that way. The use of disposable plates can help with the water use as well as taking extra water in containers if needed.

don't be afraid to search these subjects on the forum since they have been plenty of discussion in the past, and it's still relevant

Best is to do some close by dry camping before you head out into the wilds until you figure out your personal use?

have fun on your travels!
Old 05-13-2019, 06:14 PM   #3
Site Team

Since there are far too many variables to give you any kind of answer, I suggest you go out on some short dry camping trips. That will provide the real world experience that will not only answer your question but give you insight into what upgrades you need to camp the way you want to camp.

Assuming you don’t live where boondocking on public land available just look for National Foesest CGs without hookups, State Parks without hookups and Core of Engineers Parks without hookups to test your dry camping skills and equipment.

Start with an overnight trip. Then extend it some. By the time you get to 4 - 5 day dry camping trips you’ll be fully ready to get ready for your planned trip West.

PS. It’s “Boondocking” not boon-doogling. As in docking your RV in the boonies.
Old 05-14-2019, 08:07 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

We did four days at the beach with cloudy skies so very little solar. I measured the fresh water at home and when the level went to empty on the last morning I had 6 usable gallons left. We sponge bathed as it was the first boondock for us. I was happy with the results. But it depends...
Mike Owens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 06:04 PM   #5
Pensioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfcreeknc View Post
Hello All,
We recently purchased a use 2007 View and so far we love it. We are planning on a trip out west this summer and anticipate boon-doogling some. My question is with a full tank of water, and a full tank of propane, roughly how long can we make it without any hook-up? I know it will be a function of how much we use AC and other electrical but just trying to get some idea. Thanks in advance for any insight into this.
Cheers!
wolfcreeknc
If you are boon doogling out in public, you might get arrested��
SnKPerk is offline   Reply With Quote