Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-10-2020, 01:09 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Question New RVer ... 2 questions

I've been lurking for 5 months, so I thank all of you for your help. I take delivery of my View 24D within the next week. I ordered it in June. I was able to reconfigure already dealer placed allocation.

Options:
Lithium, Entertainment System, Diesel Gen, Hydraulic Jacks, +170W solar, Wineguard Connect 2.0

We are excited about our next chapter in life. I'm trading my plane for the RV life...until I can afford both

Question 1) Is there any way to add a bug screen beneath the side awning? I want to hang out outside without bugs.

Question 2) Is there a way to mount a TV on the exterior of the coach underneath the awning?

Cheers!
BigTexEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 01:52 PM   #2
Site Team

The bug screen is easy. They make a screen that you simply slide into a slot on the roller after the awning is extended.

https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories.../LC362218.html

We bought a Coleman screen "tent" and used to set it up under our awning to sit in. It works just as well, and costs hundreds less.

https://www.amazon.com/Coleman-Insta.../dp/B07X96Q9D6

Outside TV is more difficult. I've seen folks put a standard TV mount, the "V" shaped kind that you hang the TV from, on the side of the coach and carry a TV inside the RV. Then just bring it out and hang it on the V-mount.

https://www.amazon.com/Swift-Mount-S...dp/B007Y4TV14/

The easiest way is to get a narrow folding table you set up next to the RV and put a TV on a stand on the table. Plus, the table works great when guests come over for pot-luck dinners.

https://www.amazon.com/COSCO-Vinyl-F...dp/B00SY2RA7M/

We have an exterior TV built in. It's fun to show it to people and we watch it... oh, maybe 2 times a year, maybe. So, don't assume you're going to really want to watch TV outdoors. You may want to try the table plan first to see how it goes.
Old 08-10-2020, 02:48 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

What am I thinking? I retract my second question and should have it removed from the record. Worst case, I can watch my iPad. I don't watch much Tv anyway. If this was easy, I might do it. A table and Tv it is...if I even do it at all.

Thank you for the screen idea! I'm all over it.
Old 08-10-2020, 04:22 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

A second option versus an added table can be using a storage box. Depends on what value you place on having an extra table or not. We also found an exterior TV was not something we used but once in all the time we owned our last RV. Just felt so foolish to be out there trying to forget the normal and then turning on a TV which tends to bother other people and brings all that stuff you tried to leave behind right into view again!
Part of our action depends so much on the weather and when it is nice outside, we want to be doing something, not watching TV but when it is not nice and too hot, we want to be in the cool and that is when we watch TV.
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 05:37 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

This makes it real easy. Been using one for the last 2-3 years. Works great. Pricey but worth it. My 50 inch Visio hangs just fine. You have to watch your weight limit on the TV.

Old 08-11-2020, 06:33 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

The stock 32" TV (ATYME) isn't very good.

It's not a smart TV - no built-in streaming apps.

Speakers are very weak - very difficult to hear the audio (even at 100%) while the air conditioner is running (which is very close to the TV).

And the picture quality isn't very good.

To fix the audio, I researched getting a sound bar - and decided instead to upgrade the TV instead.

I pulled out the stock 32" TV and replaced it with a Samsung 32" 4K Smart TV (Q50R).

The TV has much louder speakers - no problem hearing over the air conditioner.

It has built-in streaming apps. The TV is configured to always connect to the network provided by our Winegard Connect 2.0 - which uses local WiFi or one of our smartphones as a hotspot while parked or the Sprinter hotspot while driving (we purchased the AT&T hotspot plan for the Sprinter).

And the picture quality is significantly better - plus it can stream 4K video programs from Netflix, Prime Video, VuDu, ...

We might upgrade to a soundbar in the future - especially if we can get one with small wireless rear speakers to provide surround sound when watching from the dinette.
rprochnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 02:29 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rprochnow View Post
The stock 32" TV (ATYME) isn't very good.

It's not a smart TV - no built-in streaming apps.

Speakers are very weak - very difficult to hear the audio (even at 100%) while the air conditioner is running (which is very close to the TV).

And the picture quality isn't very good.

To fix the audio, I researched getting a sound bar - and decided instead to upgrade the TV instead.

I pulled out the stock 32" TV and replaced it with a Samsung 32" 4K Smart TV (Q50R).

The TV has much louder speakers - no problem hearing over the air conditioner.

It has built-in streaming apps. The TV is configured to always connect to the network provided by our Winegard Connect 2.0 - which uses local WiFi or one of our smartphones as a hotspot while parked or the Sprinter hotspot while driving (we purchased the AT&T hotspot plan for the Sprinter).

And the picture quality is significantly better - plus it can stream 4K video programs from Netflix, Prime Video, VuDu, ...

We might upgrade to a soundbar in the future - especially if we can get one with small wireless rear speakers to provide surround sound when watching from the dinette.
Did the Samsung fit the same mount used for the stock Atyme TV?
mricet1005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 02:48 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

The cabinetry/mount appears to be customized for the ATYME.

I purchased the Q50R at BestBuy along with their small Insignia Fixed TV Wall Mount and a package of strong zip-ties.

I removed the ATYME TV from the mount - the most difficult part is getting it off the adhesive Winnebago used for securing the TV to the sides of the cabinet/mount.

Using a large number of zip ties, I was able to mount the Q50R to the cabinet door - at the correct height. And as it worked out, this caused the TV to tilt slightly towards the floor improving the viewing angle.

While I have some concern about the zip ties not holding, the TV isn't that heavy - the zip ties are rated to hold more than the TV - especially with using multiple zip ties in multiple locations to secure the TV.

We do have to be more careful when opening the cabinet behind the TV and use the metal flange on the side of the cabinet mount and not the TV for opening the door.

But it was worth the effort to upgrade the TV - sound and picture quality are so much better, and it eliminates having to stream programs from a smartphone or tablet...
Old 08-16-2020, 05:59 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Check out Amazon

There are several shade or bug screens that hang off an awning. So far, I only see separate items for side screens and a big front screen, but they could be used together. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 -

and - https://smile.amazon.com/leaveshade-...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

I don't know about your particular rig, but if you can find a place to plug it in, it should be fairly easy to put a TV on a removable mounting, just about anywhere. I also bought an absolutely AWESOME screen/gazebo made by Coleman. It folds down to a package about the size of a set of golf clubs, but it unfolds easily into a 12' diameter screen house with a canvas roof. No bugs! https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTexEd View Post
I've been lurking for 5 months, so I thank all of you for your help. I take delivery of my View 24D within the next week. I ordered it in June. I was able to reconfigure already dealer placed allocation.

Options:
Lithium, Entertainment System, Diesel Gen, Hydraulic Jacks, +170W solar, Wineguard Connect 2.0

We are excited about our next chapter in life. I'm trading my plane for the RV life...until I can afford both

Question 1) Is there any way to add a bug screen beneath the side awning? I want to hang out outside without bugs.

Question 2) Is there a way to mount a TV on the exterior of the coach underneath the awning?

Cheers!
golden13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 06:14 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by golden13 View Post
There are several shade or bug screens that hang off an awning. So far, I only see separate items for side screens and a big front screen, but they could be used together. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 -

and - https://smile.amazon.com/leaveshade-...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

I don't know about your particular rig, but if you can find a place to plug it in, it should be fairly easy to put a TV on a removable mounting, just about anywhere. I also bought an absolutely AWESOME screen/gazebo made by Coleman. It folds down to a package about the size of a set of golf clubs, but it unfolds easily into a 12' diameter screen house with a canvas roof. No bugs! https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I’ve been thinking about this. The awning auto retracts with excessive wind/vibration. I just don’t know if a screen attached to the awning makes good sense...unless I can disable the sensor...which also doesn’t make sense. I think I’m forced into a tent solution.
Old 08-16-2020, 06:33 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Unless you disable the wind sensor, there's a risk the awning would close and be a problem if anything attached

But disabling the wind sensor could also risk damaging the awning when it's windy. Doesn't take much wind to trigger the sensor.
Old 08-16-2020, 08:15 PM   #12
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhedges View Post
This makes it real easy. Been using one for the last 2-3 years. Works great. Pricey but worth it. My 50 inch Visio hangs just fine. You have to watch your weight limit on the TV.

Wow! You do that? What could go wrong...
Old 08-17-2020, 08:40 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

OCCC

I was curious as to the Occupant and Cargo Carry Capacity (OCCC) for your set up with your options? Most are are 1300. I think they put a yellow sticker on the drivers door post.
Superboiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 09:01 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

The OCCC label provides the numbers for the vehicle from the factory.

It does not include options added after the factory - which for our 21VD includes several items that add weight - primarily the HWH levelers and two additional standard (not flex) solar panels. We did lose a little weight with the removal of the stock hydraulic stabilizers (no longer needed after the HWH installation).
Old 08-17-2020, 09:13 AM   #15
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by rprochnow View Post
The OCCC label provides the numbers for the vehicle from the factory.

It does not include options added after the factory - which for our 21VD includes several items that add weight - primarily the HWH levelers and two additional standard (not flex) solar panels. We did lose a little weight with the removal of the stock hydraulic stabilizers (no longer needed after the HWH installation).
I'm assuming the factory stabalizers were/are electric and not hydraulic right? You are talking about the 2 in the rear near the back bumper?
crah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 09:30 AM   #16
Winnebago Master

Not sure where I picked up they were "hydraulic" - could have been from someone at the dealership. They are electric - the stock stabilizers installed by Winnebago on the back. I believe removing those gains back around 75 pounds.

The HWH leveling system weights around 170-180 pounds, so after removing the stabilizer, the net weight loss would be around 100 pounds.

The two additional solar panels around around 40 pounds combined.

The OCCC label on our 2021 View 24D lists as 1036 pounds. A full load of water weighs 249 pounds (more if there's water in the gray and black tanks).

Assuming two passengers weigh 300 pounds. With the HWH, panels, passengers and full water, the remaining cargo capacity should be around 350-400 pounds.

We've thought about getting the RV weighed to determine how much weight we have available for cargo - though I suspect many Class C's are run (slightly) over the OCCC.