Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-04-2019, 08:38 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

New House Batteries not charging to 100%

We have a 2019 Winnie View D24 and recently changed out the 2 stock 12 volt, 75ah NAPA house batteries. They were replaced with 2 Trojan 150ah wet cells. I have noticed that since the change, the battery charge level does not go to 100%. The RV has been plugged into shore power for the past month. I made sure the battery type was right, but I couldn't find a maximum charge level to set, (like my previous coach's system). New batteries, water levels are good, no corrosion on terminals. Not sure what to do next. Would appreciate some input. Thanks.
Chemosavvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 09:57 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

I have no idea what might be causing your issue, but I do know that battery problems are one of the topics that will get you more opinions and responses than almost all of the others.
Winterbagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 12:22 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Battery School | Batteriesnorthwest.com | Daily Amphere-Hour Consumption For Your RV

See if this helps. It covers a lot of territory including why batteries may not charge fully and what to do about it. Good luck.
Old 12-11-2019, 04:11 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

The only way to fully and accurately measure the SOC of your batteries is if you have a battery monitor system that uses a shunt. Otherwise, the reading you get are only based on simple voltage.

I believe your issue may be in your charger settings. Different brands, types and size of batteries need different charge settings. Charging a battery goes through three steps; bulk, absorb, float. All most all modern RV inverter/chargers have settings to optimize the kind of battery it is connected to. If you replaced your original 12 volt, 75ah NAPA batteries with Trojan 150ah wet cells then there will most likely be different settings required. The charger also needs to know the total amphours of your battery system. Not sure what charger/inverter you have, but that is the first step. Look in the operators manual to see what it recommends for charge settings. Then go to the Trojan battery site https://www.trojanbattery.com/tech-s...y-maintenance/ , and look up the specifications and charging recommendations for your exact new battery model. Adjust your charger as recommended. My bet is your batteries will now reach 100%.
Magnum108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 04:57 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

How do you know the batteries aren't fully charged? Voltage? Specific gravity of electrolyte? or a dumb light? So before you run off looking for a fix, figure out if you really have a problem.

A fully charged lead acid battery is 12.8V, and most chargers in float mode will be at 13.3 to 13.6V.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 06:20 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via Yahoo to Pianotuna
Hi,

What is the make and model of the converter or inverter/charger?

Trojan wants to "see" 14.8 volts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topsail View Post
Battery School | Batteriesnorthwest.com | Daily Amphere-Hour Consumption For Your RV

See if this helps. It covers a lot of territory including why batteries may not charge fully and what to do about it. Good luck.
Old 12-11-2019, 06:59 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Take a multimeter and measure directly at the batteries...see if it reads at least 13.5 volts or so after being on the charger...
jabass is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, charging, house batteries