Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-22-2014, 11:06 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

NAVION/VIEW Awning Metal Cover

The 2015 Itasca/Winnebago - Navion/View coaches (identical in all respects other than the name) come with a power awning which comes equipped with a metal sheath/cover for the rolled up awning only when you pay an extra $6000 for the full body paint option. It's not even available as an option otherwise. So my question.. is this a useful option, and is it something that's available aftermarket? Otherwise.. is there something proven to treat the exposed awning roll with to protect it from the elements?

Thanks all!
Old 12-22-2014, 02:54 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

There are aftermarket products:

Awning Pro Tech - RV Awning Protection System - Awning Accessories - Awning Parts & Accessories - Hardware

The Aluminum covers typically require replacing the fabric, since there are 2 beads at the cover, instead on just 1.

Awning Fabric Protection - Protect your awning fabric with rv awning products RV Awnings Online

Search the forums. There are other threads about this.
Cougarkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 07:54 PM   #3

The alumiguard protects the rolled up awning from the UV rays baking and drying out the exposed area and protects the exposed awning material from be rubbed and scared by tree branches and utility poles.
When I replaced the awning material on my RV the alumiguard was added. I have seen it come in silver, white and black color.
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 11:50 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

It is best to have larger patio awning protected by the metal sheath/cover. The cover protects this expensive awning from the sun but also keeps the awning dry when it rains so the material does not absorb the water. The wet awning will sweat, sour and mold. After a good rain I extend my slides and the material is always dripping wet as the metal protected awning material is dry. My previous Rvs did not have a metal cover and the material was soured and showed black spots of mold. Are you always going to be able to unroll the awnings to dry them after rain?
Gary CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 10:08 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Thanks all.. I've contacted the factory asking if it can be provided. If not I guess I'll look aftermarket.
Old 12-31-2014, 10:58 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtSaunders6 View Post
The 2015 Itasca/Winnebago - Navion/View coaches (identical in all respects other than the name) come with a power awning which comes equipped with a metal sheath/cover for the rolled up awning only when you pay an extra $6000 for the full body paint option. It's not even available as an option otherwise. So my question.. is this a useful option, and is it something that's available aftermarket? Otherwise.. is there something proven to treat the exposed awning roll with to protect it from the elements?

Thanks all!
Where are you shopping? Sounds to me like someone is taking advantage of you. Look online for a better deal. We traveled 1200 mi to buy this coach. We have had it about 1 1/2 years and are loving it. Yes, we have a few problems from time to time but have not lost weeks or months waiting for warranty work to be completed as so many new coach buyers seem to suffer.

I think the porch awning cover is a great idea and I am very pleased with ours. My suggestion is to find a used coach with the options you like. Your shakedown will be easier and your initial deprecation will be much less.

Happy trails and Happy New Year.

Rick Y
Old 01-03-2015, 11:05 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Good news.. Roy Robinson salesman called Winnebago about this and got the response that with a no-charge selection of any other color awning than the default (gray) I will get the aluminum cover at no charge.. that's no charge for the cover or the changed color awning! So... we're good to go! Thanks to salesman Nolan Knutson of Roy Robinson for following up on this!
Old 01-04-2015, 07:27 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtSaunders6 View Post
Good news.. Roy Robinson salesman called Winnebago about this and got the response that with a no-charge selection of any other color awning than the default (gray) I will get the aluminum cover at no charge.. that's no charge for the cover or the changed color awning! So... we're good to go! Thanks to salesman Nolan Knutson of Roy Robinson for following up on this!
Great news!

Now I am going off topic. When you get your coach delivered, go through it with a fine tooth comb. Tell the PDI person to get lost for a while. Go through the coach with a pen and paper handy for notes and questions. Sit with the owners package and read through it. Once you have a fair idea of what you have and what you expect to have let the PDI take place. You will save yourself a lot of headache in the long run. Have every switch and option operated for you and with you. Be insistent that you have things demonstrated. If a component problem is seen get it fixed before you take delivery. Most cosmetic issues are no big deal.

I have read too many horror stories on this forum about things not being right from the start. Promises were made but not followed through. Months of lost usage followed waiting on repairs to be done. Money is a good intensive. Don't sign the final documents of ownership until you know what you are buying.

Winnebago makes a great product. But, things happen (or not) during the assembly process of these complex machines. Quality control is not always the best and vender provided products don't always do what they are supposed to. Making your day of delivery an adventure of exploration will be fun and educational.

Back to the awning cover. I love mine. It truly protects the awning. Now, the topper cover? Not worth the time to install them. They are debris catchers. I removed all of mine.

I look forward to hearing of your delivery experience. Happy trails I hope.

Rick Y
Old 01-04-2015, 02:07 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

PDI

Made it a point to stress to the sales staff at RR that my PDI will be comprehensive and require everything be tested. I've downloaded the 2015 operators manual and it's on my nightly reading list. This is not my first RV purchase.. and no money will change hands till I'm completely satisfied. It's the advantage of purchasing locally... any problems and I'll point the car home!

Thanks..

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
Great news!

Now I am going off topic. When you get your coach delivered, go through it with a fine tooth comb. Tell the PDI person to get lost for a while. Go through the coach with a pen and paper handy for notes and questions. Sit with the owners package and read through it. Once you have a fair idea of what you have and what you expect to have let the PDI take place. You will save yourself a lot of headache in the long run. Have every switch and option operated for you and with you. Be insistent that you have things demonstrated. If a component problem is seen get it fixed before you take delivery. Most cosmetic issues are no big deal.

I have read too many horror stories on this forum about things not being right from the start. Promises were made but not followed through. Months of lost usage followed waiting on repairs to be done. Money is a good intensive. Don't sign the final documents of ownership until you know what you are buying.

Winnebago makes a great product. But, things happen (or not) during the assembly process of these complex machines. Quality control is not always the best and vender provided products don't always do what they are supposed to. Making your day of delivery an adventure of exploration will be fun and educational.

Back to the awning cover. I love mine. It truly protects the awning. Now, the topper cover? Not worth the time to install them. They are debris catchers. I removed all of mine.

I look forward to hearing of your delivery experience. Happy trails I hope.

Rick Y

Tags
awning