Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-28-2005, 02:19 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

We've been looking at the innovative Navion/View and have talked to several owners who seem delighted with their units. None of them were towing, however. Does anyone have experience towing a car, such as a Honda CRV, behind either a Navion or a View?
Jean & Leroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 02:19 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

We've been looking at the innovative Navion/View and have talked to several owners who seem delighted with their units. None of them were towing, however. Does anyone have experience towing a car, such as a Honda CRV, behind either a Navion or a View?
Old 12-29-2005, 02:05 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Have you seen this?
http://www.winnebagoind.com/pdfs/Win...wMotorHome.pdf
I don't know anyone that has one but if you've got a GCVW of 13,700# and a wet weight of about 9,700#, that lets you consider pulling a "lightweight" toad less than 4,000#. Not sure how well the 154 hp. would cope with that on hills though....
Old 12-29-2005, 02:13 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

I'll be interested in your replies since we are thinking of downsizing ina year or so and these units are at the top on my list too. We currently tow a CRV and am wondering if a toad will even be needed. Have you see this thread ?
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 12:43 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

We talked to someone this afternoon who just pulled a CRV with a View from Virginia to Florida. He said that unlike his 38-foot Safari, the View "notices" the tow, but that it towed well. I-95 is mostly flat, of course.
Old 12-29-2005, 02:55 PM   #6
Living The Dream

As you may have already noticed by way of the thread link above, we are towing a Scion xA (that's the smallest model in the Scion lineup, the little wagon, weighs 2,340 pounds). My meager research (as in "web search") indicates a CRV probably weighs 900 to 1,000 pounds more than the Scion xA.

I have virtually no complaints about the View's performance --- there have been a few hills which have slowed us down, but not many. I usually let the cruise control handled things, but once in a while, I'll anticipate the hill, either by signs or extra "slow" lanes or by seeing 18-wheelers struggling, and I'll "help" the accelerator with my foot (even this could be solved by designing more travel in the cruise control accelerator linkage --- just makes it similar to most other vehicles I've owned (cars and pickups, I mean). By the way, we typically move along between 60 and 65 mph (if legal).

As far as the comment about whether a toad is needed, I'll just say "sometimes." Depends on how long you stay and what you like to do. We've travelled both ways --- things are a bit easier without the toad, but not significantly. I plan my stops better when towing, primarily to keep the BrakePro from operating so frequently.

Without a toad, the View nearly fits in a regular parking spot, and the turning abilities are very convenient --- about like a long-box stretch-cab pickup.

Mileage with the Mercedes diesel is very good --- I've had as little as 13 mpg in a very strong head wind and as much as 17 mpg in a calm wind (measured between normal fuelings, usually 250 to 300 miles --- could go further but my passenger gets nervous!)

My BIGGEST complaint . . . NO TILT STEERING COLUMN! Takes a little getting used to, but with about 4,500 miles logged thus far, I'm not complaining as much, it seems.

Hope this helps --- if you have any other questions, we'd be happy to give you our opinions/observations.
SeeTheUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 02:24 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Warren, thanks for sending us your views on your View!