Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-05-2020, 02:05 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Navion 24D coach door noise

Had a 2016 Thor Siesta, now have 2019 Navion 24D, both on Sprinter chassis. On good, flat highway pavement, there was/is nearly no noise from the coach. On bumpy, poorly paved roads, we heard/hear a constant “skritching” sound from the coach door. Both vehicles had/have the same problem so I assume it’s not unique to Winnie. I have narrowed the possibilities down to the stud in the door frame on which the locking/latching mechanism closes. If I liberally lube the stud with teflon oil/spray, the noise is silent for an hour or so of driving but inevitably returns. Anyone with a similar problem and, if so, how did you fix it? And, yes, noise cancelling headphones would work but that would raise a whole new set of problems.
BlueGekko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 02:18 PM   #2
Site Team

In general the noise you describe does come from the latch post as you suspected. Some folks say they wrap it with electrical tape and that works. I couldn't get it to stick.

So, about 4 to 5 times a year I put a white grease on the post and that seems to do the trick. We also fully lock the door that helps.

We had a lot of noise from the screen door with metal panels that were not fixed in place rattling. So, I put clear silicone sealant around all the loose fit panels and that eliminated that noise completely.

Getting rid of noises, rattles and such is a never ending job with an RV.
Old 09-05-2020, 02:44 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Thanks, Creativepart. The white grease is probably a better, long term solution than mine but I suspect We would forget it’s there and it would wipe off on us as we enter/exit the coach. One problem solved, another created. And given the friction and abrasion the post receives, I suspect I’d have to continually replace the electrical tape. Now if duct tape was made with a teflon side, maybe that would work. Gives me something to think about during all those dull hours following the double yellow lines.
BlueGekko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 04:58 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I concur with Creativepart on the door latch post ~and~ the screen door. I have to replace the electrical tape regularly on our latch post and it seems to work. Only 1 to 2 wraps though or the door is hard to fully latch. I also used silicone on the screen door panels to silence the rattling... it took several tries to get them all.
I drove home solo from AZ after buying our View and spent time at every stop along the way trying to isolate/fix all of the rattles. Found out the tire pressure was too high (64lbs) and lowering it a bit helped reduce the noise as well. All quiet for now. Regards, Mike
Seymour2Lane is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door, noise