Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-01-2018, 02:51 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Nation 25G Tire Pressure

Can anyone please explain the correct tire pressure for a 2016 Nation 24G?

I'm not certain on Any of the rating posted and would like to know from experience what others have used in the past.

Thanks for your time and experience in these regards.
GuyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 08:28 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Navion 24G?????????????

Use the recommendations on the Tire Pressure Placard located on the driver's side door sill.
Recommendation is for Max Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR). You need to verify...but, there has been little change in the Sprinter 3500's GVWR of 11,030 lbs. Recommended PSI F & R is likely 61 PSI.

You don't need more. Might be able to loose a # or 3 if you are "light". Just keep it simple....use the recommendations.
Old Crows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 06:45 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

I keep higher PSI in mine. Max is 80 cold PSI. I found the #61 to be not enough and found tire wear uneven.
There are some weight and PSI tables out there or you can contact Continental directly as I did.

I have changed to Michelin for my fronts and have found a better ride - the rears will be next.
Old 05-02-2018, 08:12 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

At 61 psi, there is more than enough pressure to support the GVWR + the max axle weight (which is over 12,000 lbs) so you are good at the WGO recommended pressures. I personally add an extra 5 psi. I believe that Winnebago has dropped the recommended front axle tire pressures a few PSI so you might want to check that as well.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 06:08 PM   #5
Living The Dream

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvlabs View Post
... snip ... I personally add an extra 5 psi. ... snip ...
Ah, the Dan Wire formula for tire safety! Me too!

Wondering, have you had your Navion weighed? Four corners?
SeeTheUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 08:30 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

No four corner weighing. I like Dan Wire's formula and based on the weights I've seen on accurate four corner weights (not the ones driving up the side of the CAT scale) I'd say it is about 99% accurate. Motorhomes with spring suspensions that have a heavy corner are almost impossible to correct anyway - hard to relocate enough weight to balance a chassis - much easier with an air suspension and ride height valves.

We did weigh our Navion on the local CAT scales. Everything on board except the cat, dog, food, and clothes. We were about 250lbs below our GVWR but we off-loaded a bunch of stuff, added some things, and haven't re-weighed. I would estimate us at or slightly above our GVWR.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 03:18 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Load and Inflation Tables for MICHELIN® RV Tires

Weighing your RV is not most people's idea of a good time, but it is the only accurate way to determine the proper tire pressure.

It's best to use your tire mfr's tables, but for those that have Michelin, here they are:

https://www.michelinrvtires.com/refe...tion-tables/#/

You can see that, as mentioned above, 61 psi is more than enough. It is good for up to about 4,400 lbs on the front and 8,000 lbs on the rear. 12,400 lbs. That's almost 1,400 lbs over the GVWR, and even over the combined GAWR.

I have no doubt that there are V/Ns on the road that weigh close to that, but most owners stick close to the GVWR of 11,030 lbs or below.

11,000 lbs evenly distributed is about 3,670 lbs up front, and 7,330 rear.

From the chart we can see that 50 psi up front is more than enough for 3,670 lbs, and 55 psi is plenty in the rear.

Needless to say, those pressures are for that example only.

Most people are aware that under-inflation can lead to overheating and in extreme cases, a blow-out.

Unfortunately they often jump to the conclusion that "more [pressure] is better". There are some people who take that to extremes and run 80 psi, because that is the maximum the tire can safely hold.

What isn't as widely known is that over-inflation has its own set of serious issues. WGO, Michelin, Dodge, MB, and others all warn about over-inflation. Some of the problems are:

1) A harsher ride
2) Longer emergency braking distance due to less rubber on the road
3) Accelerated wear in the center of the tread
4) Worse emergency handling
5) More pronounced tramlining
6) Increased chance of punctures
7) Increased chance of a blowout from hard impact

The WGO View manual advises owners to weigh their rig to set tire pressure and to avoid over-inflation.

Almost all truck stops have scales. Cost is about $10.

If you live in a rural area, grain elevators and brickyards, etc, have scales and will often let you weigh for free.

Tags
tire pressure