Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-03-2021, 10:22 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher
 
Join Date: May 2021
Location: Harvest, Alabama
Posts: 2
Murphy bed trouble and repair

We just brought home our newly purchased View 24D (7500 miles). My wife was set on getting this model because it had the murphy bed layout.
Of course we had to tryout the bed mechanism.
Lowering it resulted in a rather HARD landing, raising was fine.
On inspection (down position) I noticed the panel at the head end was torn loose. Removing the panel exposed the following: a 3/4" frame element laying loose on the floor, 2 loose screws on the floor, a matching frame element still in place but not connected to the idler pulley bracket, the steel idler pulley bracket bent down about 15 degrees.
This pulley guides and supports the strap which controls the "down" motion.

The Fix...
1. removed the bracket and bent it straight in a vise. Removal & installation is difficult as the 5 mounting screws are hidden.
2. removed the original framing and replaced it with aluminum tubing & angle.
3. Pulled out the 30 pin nails from the support strips and secured the panel with screws.

The evidence clearly indicated this was factory workmanship issue on top of a marginal design.
Feel free to email me for added information: [email protected]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Murphy Fix 2020.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	206.3 KB
ID:	178628  
BikesGR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 02:02 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikesGR View Post
We just brought home our newly purchased View 24D (7500 miles). My wife was set on getting this model because it had the murphy bed layout.
Of course we had to tryout the bed mechanism.
Lowering it resulted in a rather HARD landing, raising was fine.
On inspection (down position) I noticed the panel at the head end was torn loose. Removing the panel exposed the following: a 3/4" frame element laying loose on the floor, 2 loose screws on the floor, a matching frame element still in place but not connected to the idler pulley bracket, the steel idler pulley bracket bent down about 15 degrees.
This pulley guides and supports the strap which controls the "down" motion.

The Fix...
1. removed the bracket and bent it straight in a vise. Removal & installation is difficult as the 5 mounting screws are hidden.
2. removed the original framing and replaced it with aluminum tubing & angle.
3. Pulled out the 30 pin nails from the support strips and secured the panel with screws.

The evidence clearly indicated this was factory workmanship issue on top of a marginal design.
Feel free to email me for added information: [email protected]
Thanks for the write up. I've had the same issue since new with my 2020 24D. I assumed it was a motor programming or something like that. Always had a hunch it would try to go down way to hard and had to throttle the switch repeatedly so it wouldn't slam down. Another fix do add to the list.
crah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 08:43 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: Sugar Land, TX
Posts: 385
The murphy bed in our 21VD lands pretty hard on the floor, so we try to catch it as it nears the floor, and ease it down.

We thought about putting some padding on the bottom of the legs - but the clearance of the legs when they are stowed is so tight, it doesn't leave room for any padding.

But so far, we haven't had any issues - other than the hard landings when opening the bed.
rprochnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 09:01 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by rprochnow View Post
The murphy bed in our 21VD lands pretty hard on the floor, so we try to catch it as it nears the floor, and ease it down.

We thought about putting some padding on the bottom of the legs - but the clearance of the legs when they are stowed is so tight, it doesn't leave room for any padding.

But so far, we haven't had any issues - other than the hard landings when opening the bed.
My bed acts exactly the same as your and seems that is what the original poster is stating as well. I've seen other 24D models in action, and it should be a slow smooth action so I know mine is not functioning correctly. In reading the original post, seems that a black bracket and other components to the pully was not installed correctly. I'm sure it's likely our models have the same issue. I plan on fixing sooner than later as that hard swinging action may cause more problems in the future.
crah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 09:17 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: Sugar Land, TX
Posts: 385
Ours goes down smoothly - but that still results in a pretty hard landing.

We're not too concerned about it, other than the potential for it to eventually damage the floor when the legs hit.

If WB put some padding on the bottom of the legs (leaving enough of a gap to allow the legs to close), that would address our concerns.

But it's not serious enough for us to start shaving off a little bit of the legs to provide enough room to add the padding.
rprochnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 09:30 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by rprochnow View Post
Ours goes down smoothly - but that still results in a pretty hard landing.

We're not too concerned about it, other than the potential for it to eventually damage the floor when the legs hit.

If WB put some padding on the bottom of the legs (leaving enough of a gap to allow the legs to close), that would address our concerns.

But it's not serious enough for us to start shaving off a little bit of the legs to provide enough room to add the padding.
That's how mine acts. It is all smooth and if I leave the button on, it will slam decently hard onto the floor. But if I stop the button in mid travel, the speed is pretty quick and the bed will kind of bounce to a stop. Best I can describe it. That action will eventually break the straps that are used for the murphy. Definitely didn't seem normal to me, and after watching other 24D's in action, the motion down should travel slow. Mine travels smooth but pretty fast so it has no choice but to slam the floor unless I let go of the button or put my hand up to slow the bed down.
crah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 06:24 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: Sugar Land, TX
Posts: 385
As the bed approaches the floor, we'll place a hand underneath, providing some support, so that when we let go of the switch when it's near the floor, we're providing some support to the bed - which should prevent any damage from stopping the bed while there is still weight on the strap.
rprochnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:17 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 19
I have a problem when I raise the bed in my new 2021 View. The foot board, which looks like plastic, hits the top board in the opening on the Middle to right hand side. It looks to me like the right hand plastic bearing was mounted too far forward. Can’t see if it is adjustable or not but if I don’t get it fixed damage will shop up on the top. The bed was just mounted crooked.
Bobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:28 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: Sugar Land, TX
Posts: 385
You should contact your dealership (if they are close) or Winnebago about getting this corrected.

If you try to fix it - and you're unsuccessful, they might cover it under the warranty.
rprochnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:39 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 19
will do. I wonder if I should go directly to the mfg. rather than the dealership? I bought it from a dealer in Forest City Iowa where the manufacturer is located.
Bobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:58 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: Sugar Land, TX
Posts: 385
Contact Lichtsinn.

If you're within reasonable driving distance - have them fix it.

If not - since you really can't use the murphy bed with this issue - then get their advice on how to get this fixed - so you can use the murphy bed safely.
rprochnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
repair


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Murphy bed mattress stoney1 Winnebago Travel Trailers 10 08-02-2020 03:51 PM
2108DS Murphy Bed mattress Sneakyp Winnebago Travel Trailers 4 09-09-2019 09:05 PM
Load capacity of Murphy Bed in 24D? pequeajim Winnebago Class C Motorhomes 5 08-02-2019 12:50 PM
Question about Micro Minnie Murphy bed JTH Winnebago Travel Trailers 14 04-09-2019 06:09 AM
Micro Minnie murphy bed rebhen Winnebago Travel Trailers 0 09-29-2018 05:20 PM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Winnebago Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:50 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×