Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-03-2021, 10:22 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Murphy bed trouble and repair

We just brought home our newly purchased View 24D (7500 miles). My wife was set on getting this model because it had the murphy bed layout.
Of course we had to tryout the bed mechanism.
Lowering it resulted in a rather HARD landing, raising was fine.
On inspection (down position) I noticed the panel at the head end was torn loose. Removing the panel exposed the following: a 3/4" frame element laying loose on the floor, 2 loose screws on the floor, a matching frame element still in place but not connected to the idler pulley bracket, the steel idler pulley bracket bent down about 15 degrees.
This pulley guides and supports the strap which controls the "down" motion.

The Fix...
1. removed the bracket and bent it straight in a vise. Removal & installation is difficult as the 5 mounting screws are hidden.
2. removed the original framing and replaced it with aluminum tubing & angle.
3. Pulled out the 30 pin nails from the support strips and secured the panel with screws.

The evidence clearly indicated this was factory workmanship issue on top of a marginal design.
Feel free to email me for added information: [email protected]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Murphy Fix 2020.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	206.3 KB
ID:	178628  
BikesGR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 02:02 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikesGR View Post
We just brought home our newly purchased View 24D (7500 miles). My wife was set on getting this model because it had the murphy bed layout.
Of course we had to tryout the bed mechanism.
Lowering it resulted in a rather HARD landing, raising was fine.
On inspection (down position) I noticed the panel at the head end was torn loose. Removing the panel exposed the following: a 3/4" frame element laying loose on the floor, 2 loose screws on the floor, a matching frame element still in place but not connected to the idler pulley bracket, the steel idler pulley bracket bent down about 15 degrees.
This pulley guides and supports the strap which controls the "down" motion.

The Fix...
1. removed the bracket and bent it straight in a vise. Removal & installation is difficult as the 5 mounting screws are hidden.
2. removed the original framing and replaced it with aluminum tubing & angle.
3. Pulled out the 30 pin nails from the support strips and secured the panel with screws.

The evidence clearly indicated this was factory workmanship issue on top of a marginal design.
Feel free to email me for added information: [email protected]
Thanks for the write up. I've had the same issue since new with my 2020 24D. I assumed it was a motor programming or something like that. Always had a hunch it would try to go down way to hard and had to throttle the switch repeatedly so it wouldn't slam down. Another fix do add to the list.
crah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 08:43 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

The murphy bed in our 21VD lands pretty hard on the floor, so we try to catch it as it nears the floor, and ease it down.

We thought about putting some padding on the bottom of the legs - but the clearance of the legs when they are stowed is so tight, it doesn't leave room for any padding.

But so far, we haven't had any issues - other than the hard landings when opening the bed.
rprochnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 09:01 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by rprochnow View Post
The murphy bed in our 21VD lands pretty hard on the floor, so we try to catch it as it nears the floor, and ease it down.

We thought about putting some padding on the bottom of the legs - but the clearance of the legs when they are stowed is so tight, it doesn't leave room for any padding.

But so far, we haven't had any issues - other than the hard landings when opening the bed.
My bed acts exactly the same as your and seems that is what the original poster is stating as well. I've seen other 24D models in action, and it should be a slow smooth action so I know mine is not functioning correctly. In reading the original post, seems that a black bracket and other components to the pully was not installed correctly. I'm sure it's likely our models have the same issue. I plan on fixing sooner than later as that hard swinging action may cause more problems in the future.
Old 05-03-2021, 09:17 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Ours goes down smoothly - but that still results in a pretty hard landing.

We're not too concerned about it, other than the potential for it to eventually damage the floor when the legs hit.

If WB put some padding on the bottom of the legs (leaving enough of a gap to allow the legs to close), that would address our concerns.

But it's not serious enough for us to start shaving off a little bit of the legs to provide enough room to add the padding.
Old 05-03-2021, 09:30 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by rprochnow View Post
Ours goes down smoothly - but that still results in a pretty hard landing.

We're not too concerned about it, other than the potential for it to eventually damage the floor when the legs hit.

If WB put some padding on the bottom of the legs (leaving enough of a gap to allow the legs to close), that would address our concerns.

But it's not serious enough for us to start shaving off a little bit of the legs to provide enough room to add the padding.
That's how mine acts. It is all smooth and if I leave the button on, it will slam decently hard onto the floor. But if I stop the button in mid travel, the speed is pretty quick and the bed will kind of bounce to a stop. Best I can describe it. That action will eventually break the straps that are used for the murphy. Definitely didn't seem normal to me, and after watching other 24D's in action, the motion down should travel slow. Mine travels smooth but pretty fast so it has no choice but to slam the floor unless I let go of the button or put my hand up to slow the bed down.
Old 05-04-2021, 06:24 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

As the bed approaches the floor, we'll place a hand underneath, providing some support, so that when we let go of the switch when it's near the floor, we're providing some support to the bed - which should prevent any damage from stopping the bed while there is still weight on the strap.
Old 05-06-2021, 06:17 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

I have a problem when I raise the bed in my new 2021 View. The foot board, which looks like plastic, hits the top board in the opening on the Middle to right hand side. It looks to me like the right hand plastic bearing was mounted too far forward. Can’t see if it is adjustable or not but if I don’t get it fixed damage will shop up on the top. The bed was just mounted crooked.
Bobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 06:28 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

You should contact your dealership (if they are close) or Winnebago about getting this corrected.

If you try to fix it - and you're unsuccessful, they might cover it under the warranty.
Old 05-06-2021, 06:39 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

will do. I wonder if I should go directly to the mfg. rather than the dealership? I bought it from a dealer in Forest City Iowa where the manufacturer is located.
Bobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 06:58 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Contact Lichtsinn.

If you're within reasonable driving distance - have them fix it.

If not - since you really can't use the murphy bed with this issue - then get their advice on how to get this fixed - so you can use the murphy bed safely.
Old 05-10-2021, 07:41 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

our 2019 24D murphy bed goes down fast so we try to catch it before the legs hit bottom. Second trip out the glue holding the plywood veneer/backrest to the frame failed and started to split. I've accepted the fact that RV manufacturers use assembly techniques that are so poor they make boat builders look like fine furniture craftsmen. Factory quality control must be staffed by the blind. Dealer service, generally is a 4 month wait for a simple repair.
Katman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 08:59 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

If the repair is cosmetic, then waiting a few months should be OK.

But if the repair is needed so the murphy bed can be used - then you should be able to get it fixed faster than 4 months. Call your dealer - and if that doesn't work, call Winnebago.

The downside of using the Sprinter chassis (with the MBUX and driver assist features) is the limited carrying capacity - so Winnebago (and other manufacturers) are constrained to lightweight materials to get as much functionality as possible in the coaches, while also providing at least a little extra for passengers and cargo.

Even if this is just a cosmetic repair - if you've recently purchased the RV, you should also contact your salesperson - they should be able to get this fixed, without having to wait 4 months.

And if they can't, then you may need want to start looking for alternative dealerships for service...

Lichtsinn has been great to work with, where we purchased our View last year. But they are over 1000 miles away, so we'll probably make the trip up there no more than once a year.

Unfortunately, we don't have good options for Winnebago service in Houston. One of the two dealerships initially refused to even schedule an appointment for recall work. And the other is Camping World.

But, we found a great service team about 300 miles away at Kerrville RV - and have used them for service, other than our first annual service last month at Lichtsinn.
Old 05-10-2021, 04:41 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

We're happy with the View and have not been surprised with the few issues that were not anticipated. Fit and finish quality and performance so far have been as expected--it is a small house on wheels with a lot of comfort and reasonable road skills. We previously rented Views. Good platform. I did find another servicing dealer who became first stop for my work. VERY happy we bought in 2019 before the madness set in!
Katman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2023, 06:11 AM   #15
Winnebago Master

We were very happy with our View, but after taking several long trips in our View, we decided to "upsize" and move to a 35 foot New Aire that works better for the several 6-7 week road trips we are doing this year, with more storage space, separate bedroom, washer/dryer, and more lithium battery power to run A/C for a few hours off batteries.

Based on our experience with the View, the quality of dealership was a major factor in where we purchased our New Aire - and decided to purchase from NIRVC in Dallas, only 300 miles from our home (much closer than the 1000 miles we were away from Lichtsinn).

Our View was sold almost immediately after our trade-in...

FYI - even though NIRVC in Dallas is not allowed to sell Winnebago, they can service Winnebago motorhomes... And if Lichtsinn is too far, finding an NIRVC location is another option Winnebago owners should consider. Their service department has been great to work with...

Tags
repair