Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-20-2020, 05:52 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Murphy Bed -2020 View 24D

Hi all ,
Purchased a 2020 view 24d with Murphy Bed and have had lots of issues. Including dropping on my wife and refusing to go back up. All in all it’s been in the shop over 8 hours so far. Are other people having issues with these. Any suggestions? Do you make your bed every night or leave bed stuff on? Looked up lemon laws, but don’t think it will apply to us. Thanks in advance for your thoughts ideas and wisdom
Joe
Frazier5421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 06:51 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Like anything, some like them, and others don't. Over the last few years, I've seen about as many cons as pros on the Murphy bed models. Among the cons are they are typically the heaviest bed option because they require a longer/larger slide to function, which uses up some precious OCCC. I've also heard the beds are physically flimsy, the motorized ones often don't work or are flaky, and you have to be able to deploy the slide for them to be used, and slides are prone to failure.
Hang in there, and I hope once you get the bugs ironed out, it will be a good choice for your situation.
Winterbagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 09:11 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

We have a 2021 View 24D. Since purchasing the RV in early June, we've already used it for more than 3 weeks - and love having the murphy bed.

We haven't had any issues with the bed - it lowers and raises without any problems - and there hasn't been any indication that it is loose in the raised position.

The only issues we've had with the bed:
  • It sits higher than other beds and takes a little getting used to - but not really a problem
  • We're concerned about long-term scratches on the floor under the feet. Due to the tight clearance when the feet are stored, there isn't enough room to add any padding.

When we store the bed, we leave the pillows on, and tuck in the sheets/blanket at the foot and sides, so they don't get caught when the bed is raised.

With the murphy bed raised and the slide out, we get a huge amount of floor space for a 25' RV - with extra seating on the sofa and the ability to add the pedestal table to provide table space for an additional 2 people.

If your dealer's service staff can't fix the issues, recommend you contact Winnebago directly and work with them to get the issues fixed. The murphy bed should be a relatively simple mechanism to raise/lower the bed - and if the service center can't get it fixed correctly, perhaps it's because they don't see these issues often, and don't have the experience in fixing them...
rprochnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 09:56 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

The refusing to go back up is odd. Is there latch sticking? Also odd something like this would take a long time for a dealer to figure out.

On my model you're supposed to transport in the down and locked position, which is different than most other RV Murphy Bed systems I've seen.
Old 07-21-2020, 09:59 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

On the 24D, the bed can only be down when the slide is out.

So, during transport, bed must be in the up position.
rprochnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 10:06 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

I would actually prefer it if mine were supposed to be up during transport, since up is the normal position for a Murphy Bed. But it's not.
Old 07-21-2020, 10:10 AM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodspike View Post
I would actually prefer it if mine were supposed to be up during transport, since up is the normal position for a Murphy Bed. But it's not.
It's the difference between a motorized RV and a travel trailer most likely. Very different animals.
Old 07-21-2020, 10:14 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
It's the difference between a motorized RV and a travel trailer most likely. Very different animals.
No, most trailers are different than the 2106DS. The beds lock up on most.

I think they may have tried to reduce the weight of the mechanism by having it transport in the down position where the weight isn't supported by the mechanism over bumps.
Old 07-22-2020, 04:02 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

our bed works fine....I do help to lift it initially as the motor sounds like it's working pretty hard - it will close without my help, though. Once up it doesn't even wiggle. I do note that when coming down, it does come down pretty fast once it gets past vertical and I do tend to reach out and help slow it a bit.

There's no way it would just fall on us unless it was being lowered and one of us tried to scoot past it while it was coming down, so I don't get that one unless the motor became detached/linkage failed?

Good luck. We really love the floor plan. We do leave the sheets and topper on and don't have to make it up other than pushing the top of the mattress back down after we lower the bed (2 piece mattress - the head section sometimes pops up a little). A set of short queen sheets and a fitted mattress cover and the sheets pretty much stay put.
Dave-Oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 04:08 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

This is starting to sound like technology for technology's sake. Why would anyone need a motor to lift and lower a Murphy Bed? It reminds me of motorized liftgates on the back of SUVs--just something that slows you down and will some day break.
Old 08-04-2020, 10:03 AM   #11

We recently purchased a slightly used 2020 View 24D. While we were becoming familiar with our new home on wheels and stocking the cupboards we raised and lowered the bed several times. Then, one time when I went to lower the bed, it came crashing down to the floor. The straps had come detached. I took it in to the dealer and they worked on it for hours, even after closing trying to get it working properly because we were heading out on a trip the next day. They weren't able to completely repair it, the straps continued to get loose. It was obvious that they had not dealt with this type of repair before. During our first trip we babied the bed, helping it up and down so the straps wouldn't come loose again. The View is currently back at the dealer to have the bed fixed among other minor issue.
BadMed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 10:12 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

That is pretty much where we are. They fixed it last time, but when we went to pick it up. The head guy said it wasn’t fixed correctly and had to be done over. This makes third repair. When I broached lemon laws, I was told to get a lawyer if I wanted to pursue that. Sad, but most dealers are swamped between the quarantine and people leaving etc. I feel bad but I want our motorhome to work.
Frazier5421 is offline   Reply With Quote