Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-21-2021, 04:51 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Moving from Adventurer to View... Seek comments/advice

Hi everyone!

Although we love our Class A Adventurer 38Q, we are considering downsizing to a Class C Mercedes RV, very likely the Navion/View. Figured we would be motoring much more often with a smaller rig...

Just thought I would ping the Winnie group to see what, if anything, people would advise for the shopping/purchase/use of a new Winnebago View 24D Mercedes RV....

Thanks everyone!

Chris
RacerChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 05:47 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

We downsized to the View 24D
. We do enjoy the maneuverability, the improved fuel mileage towing our jeep and the floor plan is pretty reasonable. We do miss our fire place, though,

As for shopping, I can only say you should be able to get at least 35% off of the list price from the place you purchase it. The options are a matter of personal desire and your usage plans.

I am happy with the floor plan. I would like to have had the auto levelers - which were not an option when I bought. I am happy with the platform and performance.

Good luck and enjoy the hunt,

best,

Dave
Dave-Oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 05:57 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

We have may several changes to get different RV sizes at different times and we kind of have a set of "rules" we have to have, so I might advise looking at how you see using the new one and make a list of priorities for what you want as we all have different ideas.
Our priorities were:
No bed that cuts off the rest of the RV if not slid out, no bed that goes out into the heat or cold when used as well as one which we can go back and use without the hassle of making it up.
We also do not want to use the dinette style seating for very much as they are not comfortable for long term seating, so we had to have more on that.

We find we can change up the amount of storage we "Have" to have but there is no way for me to enjoy a trip if there is no place to sleep good and kick my feet up when resting!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 05:57 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-Oh View Post
We downsized to the View 24D
. We do enjoy the maneuverability, the improved fuel mileage towing our jeep and the floor plan is pretty reasonable. We do miss our fire place, though,

As for shopping, I can only say you should be able to get at least 35% off of the list price from the place you purchase it. The options are a matter of personal desire and your usage plans.

I am happy with the floor plan. I would like to have had the auto levelers - which were not an option when I bought. I am happy with the platform and performance.

Good luck and enjoy the hunt,

best,

Dave
Thanks Dave! Yeah, we will miss the fireplace..

You have good tastes The 24D is the one we are looking at also.

Would love to hear your overall satisfaction with your purchase.... How does your View do pulling the Jeep?
Old 02-21-2021, 06:03 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

I'll start by saying, I'm not a fan of slides, or the Murphy bed, as it usually requires the slide to be out to be used.
We have a 24V and the layout doesn't require the smaller slide to be out, for the sleeping area to be functional, and all other functions are also available. We have a slide, but rarely use it on our usual 2 to 3 week trips, as we tend to be regularly mobile. We deployed it for almost a week when we stayed at a commercial campground just about 2 years ago. It performed well.
Other than that, they're great vehicles, except for the GVWR/GCWR/OCCC issues with these Sprinter mounted motorhomes. They are OCCC "challenged".
Great handling, good ride, lots of engine power, great comfort, many of the amenities of the larger class A units, and great fuel economy. We can tow a Wrangler 4dr JKU with it. 15mpg overall when solo, 13mpg when pulling the JKU.
Winterbagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 06:31 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterbagoal View Post
I'll start by saying, I'm not a fan of slides, or the Murphy bed, as it usually requires the slide to be out to be used.
We have a 24V and the layout doesn't require the smaller slide to be out, for the sleeping area to be functional, and all other functions are also available. We have a slide, but rarely use it on our usual 2 to 3 week trips, as we tend to be regularly mobile. We deployed it for almost a week when we stayed at a commercial campground just about 2 years ago. It performed well.
Other than that, they're great vehicles, except for the GVWR/GCWR/OCCC issues with these Sprinter mounted motorhomes. They are OCCC "challenged".
Great handling, good ride, lots of engine power, great comfort, many of the amenities of the larger class A units, and great fuel economy. We can tow a Wrangler 4dr JKU with it. 15mpg overall when solo, 13mpg when pulling the JKU.
Thanks! All good input.

When I ask Google how much your Jeep weighs it says 4277-4921 pounds. Even at the lightest it is over the GCWR- GVWR = 4,200lbs for the 2021s. We would be pulling a similar weight SUV. How does your rig do pulling the Jeep up steep highway grades?
Old 02-21-2021, 07:17 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerChris View Post
Thanks! All good input.

When I ask Google how much your Jeep weighs it says 4277-4921 pounds. Even at the lightest it is over the GCWR- GVWR = 4,200lbs for the 2021s. We would be pulling a similar weight SUV. How does your rig do pulling the Jeep up steep highway grades?
GCWR is just that, it's a combined maximum weight of the 2 vehicles together. So, the 4,200 lb. number isn't really accurate, because if you lighten things on one end, you can run heavier at the other end. As long as you don't exceed the maximum total of 15,250 lbs., or the hitch max of 5,000 lbs, you're fine towing a slightly heavier Wrangler. Ours weighs around 4,500 lbs loaded for travel, and the Navion is around 10,600 loaded for travel, so we're about 150 lbs under the GCWR. It's all about the math, and it helps to have a (free) government inspection station with scales nearby. I can weigh the vehicles separately before I hook them up, or roll them across the scales together and get the numbers.
As for hills, we haven't challenged the 2 passes between Denver and Grand Junction on I-70 while towing (we did them in Fall 2018 effortlessly, but no towed), but we've been across the steeper passes on the Appalachians down in the Carolinas, Kentucky, Georgia, and we've done the Texas hill country, and it does fine while towing up hills. Doesn't seem to struggle at all, but I tend to go easy on it up hill. If I feel it starting to bog, I compensate, either by adding power, or just backing off and enjoying the scenery. Actually, down hills are the challenge for me, controlling the descent and using good braking technique, it's more than doable.
I'm Blue Ox everything (baseplate, bar, wiring) with a Patriot II 2016 aux braking system. Dealer installed. Everything works well together. I like the adjustable on the fly braking force, with the remote wireless dash monitor/control module in the Navion. I can "see" what's going on behind me with braking, as well as the rearview camera.
Winterbagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 08:30 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Thanks Dave! Yeah, we will miss the fireplace..

You have good tastes The 24D is the one we are looking at also.

Would love to hear your overall satisfaction with your purchase.... How does your View do pulling the Jeep?
Sure!

1. Satisfaction with purchase: High! I am very happy with the WBGO View. Obviously going smaller leads to more compromises with the use of the space. Shower is a bit smaller, but still totally fine for us (5'5"). I like the on-demand hot water and the whole shower/restroom across the rear works well for us. I do wish the bathroom sink had a little bit of counter space, though. I did modify the floor of the closet so I could lift up a panel and drop in the dirty clothes. Saves some space for us and we just have to open the outside cargo door to grab the laundry on the way to the laundromat. Fit and finish was really good with fewer issues than our former Tiffin, which didn't have many issues.

2. Pulling the Jeep: I know there are many who keep saying we View owners who tow our jeep are overloaded. The curb weight of my 2018 JL unlimited was listed at about 4150 lbs. pretty close to the max allowed for the GCVWR for the View towing capacity if fully loaded. We generally tow with a half tank of gas and about a 1/4 tank of water in the View. We don't load up the Jeep and we don't stuff the View full, either. I am comfortable that we aren't at or over capacity. That said: The View pulls the Jeep better than our Tiffin gasser did. The little diesel is an awesome power plant and the 7 speed transmission has only made it better. I can maintain speed and I don't have a lot of speed variations on the rolling hills like I did with the big gasser. In the mountains it is a bit better at maintaining uphill speeds and is no worse than the V-10 cresting the bigger climbs...probably better by 5 mph or more and the paddle shifters are really great when I anticipate downshifts. Downhill is also fine - paddle shifters are, again, a great help and far superior to the V10...you don't have to coax it to try and downshift by braking hard until it downshifts. Just squeeze the paddle shifter and it downshifts and will hold it there. Never have felt out of control or like I have to use the brakes excessively to slow or hold down the speed.

This is my opinion only, of course. Others may feel differently.

Finally: I didn't know about the u-shaped dinette, but we're actually liking it a lot. I did make a smaller second table (18" round) to go between the front seats when they're turned around. Makes for a nice place for my drink while relaxing. there are compromises in a smaller floor plan. We don't mind the Murphy bed. We don't worry about the slide having to be out issue. If we need to lie down while traveling, the dinette table can drop down to make a big bed, or a nap on the couch works, or...there's another big bed above the cab if you don't mind the ladder up.

it's fun, no matter what floor plan you choose. Shop, evaluate, plan and enjoy.

best,

Dave
Dave-Oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 08:50 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Like any RV - choosing a 24D will have some compromises, especially when coming from a larger rig.

We love our 24D - and the great flexibility we have with the floor plan.

When the slide is out - we have a huge amount of floor space for a 25' RV.

The bathroom is a little tight - but we'd rather have more space in the living area than in the bathroom.

After riding out 2 days of subfreezing temperatures last week in Galveston, I didn't notice any difference in heating with having the slide in or slide out. Of course, when it's cold outside and you fold down the murphy bed, the bed will be cold at first, because it's not getting any air circulation - but once it is down, the bed is comfortably warm as the rest of the cabin.

The U-shaped dinette seats are more comfortable than we had expected. And when two of us watch TV, we use pillows and extend the foot rests and have comfortable seating looking at the TV.

Converting the dinette into a bed is a little challenging. While the cushions for the side seats do fit on top of the table (when dropped), converting the dinette into a full-size bed, the outer cushion falls out when you lay on it.

We contacted Winnebago about this issue and they sent us a larger cushion to use instead - which doesn't fall out - but also is slightly shorter, so it's not comfortable to use. By folding a towel underneath, that levels out the cushion, making it better. But the bed is still very firm - and might benefit from some additional padding - plus it is narrow, 42" Wide instead of 54" for a full mattress. It's a little tight for two adults.

Similarly the overcab may only be good for one adult, because the front slopes considerably.

But that still gives us reasonable sleeping for 4 adults - and possibly up to 6 (if 2 are smaller kids).

There isn't a lot of exterior storage - but if we use the overcab for storage, there is quite a bit for a 25' RV.

We've hosted family to spend time in the RV - and for a 25' RV - there is a lot of seating - 3 on the sofa, 4-6 squeezed around the dinette, and another 2 sitting on the rotated Sprinter seats.

Would highly recommend having auto levelling system - if we only connect to power, we can setup and tear down in 3-5 minutes (level, slide out, connect to power).

After last week's winter storm and power outages - would highly recommend diesel generator, increased solar (we added 280W) and the lithium batteries (two 125Ah Lithionics batteries).

While we haven't planned on doing any boondocking (yet) since purchasing our 2021 24D last summer, we have had two periods when we didn't have access to shore power for 2-3 days - and having the diesel generator, extra solar and lithium batteries made it easy to get through the longer periods without shore power.
rprochnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 10:26 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Thanks everyone!

Wow! thanks for tall the thoughtful, detailed input on your rigs! very helpful and eye opening...

We have been having trouble finding a 24D in stock, partly because we want the Home Theater Seats AND the walnut (not white) cabinets... But I think I may have found one of the only ones in the nation available now with those options and its just 2.5 hours away...

We are going today to see it and very likely, purchase a new Motorhome. However, finding pricing out of line with my experience from looking while shopping for our last coach. At that time, I routinely saw 25% off, sometimes 30%. This one is at 15% off...

Received a quote from RVOne at 30% off but it will need to be ordered, then we need to go out to Ohio to get it (we are in NorCal).

Anyways, any input/experience with pricing?

Thanks everyone! So glad i posted here! Looking forward to sharing my expereinces here on the Forum...

Chris & Bernadette
Old 02-22-2021, 11:16 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

With supply very tight right now - there aren't many Views available for sale now - or soon, and the discounting will likely be less than what you would normally see.

We purchased from Lichtsinn - and they've been fantastic - and would recommend you give them a call. They appear to have a few 24D have some 24D's listed on their website - not sure if they are in stock.

We also periodically watch "Matt's RV Reviews", and they claim they can have better than advertised prices - so you might check with them.

While I agree with preferring new, another option is a lightly used 2020 or even 2021 View - with the pandemic, there are some new View owners who discovered after their purchase that RV life isn't for them. So there could be some "lightly used" Views coming on the market in the next few months.

As for the dinette vs. the recliners - we looked at a lot of 25' RVs last year - some with the dinette and some with the recliners - and decided the 24D dinette was a good compromise. When the leg rests are extended and with a comfortable pillow (or two), it's pretty comfortable sitting, facing towards the TV. And when we're not watching the TV, we use the table - a lot - for eating, using our computers, or playing board games. Plus, if you want to sit in a reclining seat for a while (not watching TV), you can rotate the cab chairs and recline in those.

If possible, it may help to see a 24D with the dinette in person - and see if it can work for you. Most 24D's come with the dinette. [Which might have an impact on resale]
Old 02-23-2021, 01:51 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Hi everybody!

So we were able to locate one with what we want which is pretty particular and its only 2.5 hours away.

Not sure how common this is but this BRAND NEW Winnebago View has a problem with the slide. They have ordered the part and expect it fixed in a month or so... They said someone flew in three states away only to find this problem...what a bummer for him. Surprised that this made it passed the Winnebago Quality control. Also, noted that it has around 2000 miles on it, so was probably driven out from Winnebago.

Also, checked the TV to make sure it has HDMI ports available and its a 2018 model made by ATYME 32" TV that is only 720p! So disappointed!

Tried to talk them down but the best I could do is 18% off! Yikes! This line is so much more than the other options, but in general, it provides a upgraded experience. Like the Heat Pump AC, that fancy entry door but hard to justify what is probably at least $20k above coaches from the other manufacturers...

Anyways, we have time to think this over... Thanks for all the input! Great to have you folks as a resource!

Chris & Bernadette
Old 02-23-2021, 02:07 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

On our trip from Iowa back to Houston after picking up our 2021 24D in June, we quickly determined the stock TV had to go. It's a "dumb" TV - no streaming apps. Picture quality wasn't very good. And the speakers weren't very loud - making it difficult to hear the TV even at 100% volume - when the air conditioning is running.

We purchased a Samsung 32" 4K smart TV and using a small VESA mount, we attached the mount and TV to the TV door using a combination of many strong zip ties and some metal straps.

The new TV has been great - and can be easily heard over the air conditioner - plus we can now stream in 4K!

All RVs are going to have some issues coming out of the factory - though a slide issue is more serious than what we encountered with our View.

On the bright side - the slide issue may have been why that unit was still on the market - as long as you're patient to give them time to fix it, this may work out better than looking for an alternative unit elsewhere.
Old 02-23-2021, 05:58 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Hi everybody!

So we were able to locate one with what we want which is pretty particular and its only 2.5 hours away.

Not sure how common this is but this BRAND NEW Winnebago View has a problem with the slide. They have ordered the part and expect it fixed in a month or so... They said someone flew in three states away only to find this problem...what a bummer for him. Surprised that this made it passed the Winnebago Quality control. Also, noted that it has around 2000 miles on it, so was probably driven out from Winnebago.

Also, checked the TV to make sure it has HDMI ports available and its a 2018 model made by ATYME 32" TV that is only 720p! So disappointed!

Tried to talk them down but the best I could do is 18% off! Yikes! This line is so much more than the other options, but in general, it provides a upgraded experience. Like the Heat Pump AC, that fancy entry door but hard to justify what is probably at least $20k above coaches from the other manufacturers...

Anyways, we have time to think this over... Thanks for all the input! Great to have you folks as a resource!

Chris & Bernadette
Chris congrats on finding the coach you were looking for. The Views are tough to come by.

Can you tell us what issue with the slide is?

Did you get a chance to drive it? They handle nicely on the Highway.
Redd22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 06:42 PM   #15
Living The Dream

We had a 2006 View 23H for seven years, then a 2012 Navion 24G for two years. Upsized then to a Tiffin Breeze diesel pusher for four years ... then about three years ago got a 2018 View 24D (yep, we think this one is our “forever” one).

Have always bought new.

We typically spend about five to six months a year in our rig, one big trip of perhaps three to four months, then several smaller trips. Nearly always have a toad, did a little Scion at first, then a MINI Cooper, then in 2012 got one of the last 4-down towable Ford Escape (recently the Escape Hybrid has been deemed towable, 2020 and up I think). Our Escape’s curb weight is about 3,400 lbs. Thinking about a new Bronco toad, have a “reservation” for one. Sure hope they don’t come off the line too heavy for our View.

That’s us ... YMMV
SeeTheUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 11:18 AM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Hi everybody!

So we did go see a View 24D that was exactly what we wanted, ie, Home Theater Seats, warm walnut cabinets and jacks.

We were so disappointed in what we saw. First of all, our research shows that the 2021 View 24D has the highest MSRP in the market for Mercedes Class C options, except maybe Leisure which are similar. For that extra money you get some upgraded stuff like the Heat Pump AC, generator, jacks, cool entry door that is keyed to the Mercedes, etc. But you also get a 2018 720p not smart ATYME TV, old 1990s style venetian blinds (the ones with the stick you twirl and strings to pull it up and down in the Kitchen and Bathroom), no designated location for the sewer hose, wallpaper on the trim around the slide that exhibits obvious laps in the wallpaper and shower surround that flexes 1/4" in/out and has those cheap plastic covered screws.

On top of that Camping World did NOTHING to prep for us even though we drive 3 hours to get there. The slide was busted and awaiting a part, the battery was dead, a plastic part for the seat was dislodged and we found it on the floor. They told us somebody few out to buy the rig and it was then that they tested the slide and found the problem. OMG, what a mess. Its like they has no pride in their product. Honestly though that was one location. Another CW did a great job with presentation...

Anyways, paid 10% less for a Tiffin Wayfarer that has so much more! We had to order it, but its so much better of a rig with same floorplan, the same cool keyed entry door, three TVs all smart LGs, central Vac, a place for the sewer hose, side opening doors, etc. Also, contrary to the YouTube video, the OCCC of 900 pounds was more than the View's 864 pounds.

Anyways, just thought I would sum up this thread.

Thanks for all your input!

Chris
Old 02-25-2021, 12:51 PM   #17
Winnebago Master

After ordering our 24D from Lichtsinn, based on a virtual walkthrough with our salesperson, we were able to find a 24D in stock at the nearby Camping World - and made the 1 hour drive to go look at the floor plan in person.

The unit they were showing had come from a Gander RV (owned by Camping World) that had closed. Even though it was a brand new unit, it had clearly seen a lot of traffic - with a lot of wear throughout the coach. While they likely sold the unit due to scarcity of new units, we would never have purchased from them - and the service department at that dealership has had some very poor reviews.

We also looked at the Wayfarer 25 RW - comparable to the 24D.

At the time, we made fewer compromises on our goals with the View vs. the Wayfarer, though that might be different based on the current models.

Some of the features that are optional in the Tiffin are standard in the View - air conditioner with heat pump, 200W solar panels, 2000 W inverter. We added two 125Ah Lithionic batteries after purchase. Instead of using a central vac system, we just bring our Dyson with an extra charger to use on trips (don't need it at home while we're travelling!).

The Tiffin does have a smaller refrigerator (6.5 cf) vs. the 12V compressor in the View (8 cf) - and on long trips, we have appreciated the extra space in the refrigerator and freezer.

As for the sewer hose - that was a concern initially - no built-in place to store the hose. In previous Views, they included a storage compartment and dropped that with the later models.

But... What we ended up doing was devoting the storage compartment under the dinette/slideout window for items we use only while the slideout is in - items such as the sewer hose/connectors, wheel chocks, 30A extension cord/adapters, ... For the sewer hose storage, we have two plastic storage boxes that slide into that compartment - one for the "dirty" sewer hose and one for the "cleaner" black tank flush hose. And that's worked out pretty well. Some people have hooked up tubes underneath or on the back for the sewer hose - and have decided it's not really a problem that we need to solve.

As for comparing Wayfarer or View to LTV's Unity or Wonder models - LTV has some nice features, but many of their floor plans (such as the ones with the rear twin beds or the rear bed) have very small living areas. We initially were leaning towards an LTV (they make some great walkthrough videos) - but after we had an opportunity to look at several of the floor plans in person, we decided to expand our research to the rest of the market - because we wanted more floor space while parked - which we've taken advantage of when hosting 5-7 family members inside our View for dinner...

Best wishes on the Tiffin - while we haven't owned one - they do look like a great option...
Old 03-01-2021, 07:46 AM   #18
Winnebago Camper

We’ve had a Navion 24j and now have the 2019 View 24V. Liked both but love the twin beds in the back on the V. But you give up the dinette, which I miss. Both typical Winnebago quality, hit or miss on things like the wallpaper and fake looking wood. But we do love the size. There’s only two of us and I always pack way too much. I use the overhead bunk for storage, which is perfect. We have had more problems with the sprinter on the 2019, but Mercedes takes care of it. Any questions you have, feel free to ask me.
AZ Okies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 10:14 AM   #19
Winnebago Camper

Agree with a couple of posts in that I like the 24V; have had two: Via, then View. One less slide to fool with, can easily make a double bed, but primarily because I travel some with brother & nephew & needed twin beds. I pull a race car and camp at track; got a tongue scale & then positioned the race car farther back than before; it pulls just fine.
CDAVEGO is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adventurer, advice, vent, view