Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-13-2022, 03:19 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Motorized Dump Valves Minnie Winnie Spirit 22M

Has anybody put motorized waste valves on? I'm hoping I made a good decision...

I'm also a new Spirit (Minnie Winnie) 22M owner. I haven't even dumped yet, but decided to order motorized valves which I hope will come in so I can get them installed before I have to test out the current valves by dumping. It's still winterized as I'm in Iowa and I won't be leaving on a trip for a few more weeks. Ordered motorized valves because those waste valve cables looked long and I've had issues on a previous RV with long cables. I was going to have to change something in any case as my valve handles were installed too far recessed for me to wrestle them in/out since I struggle with carpel tunnel, so figured I'd just go motorized. Anybody got any experience to share?
KathleenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 03:26 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Hi Kathleen - I’ll be interested in hear how the motorized valves work. I’ve looked into those also. Keep us posted!
Old 02-13-2022, 03:28 PM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathleenH View Post
Has anybody put motorized waste valves on? I'm hoping I made a good decision...
Hi Kathleen,
I have never heard of motorized control valves, but they sound like a great idea. Please let us know the cost and how well they work.
The other thing to keep in mind is the cap that covers the dump can be a little tough to twist on & off, so a little grease there helps.
Do your closet doors both swing-open from the center? I suggested that Winnebago flip the right-hand door over to make it a left-swing door as well.
Welcome to the forum.
Eagle5
Old 02-13-2022, 04:11 PM   #4
Site Team

Many high dollar motorhomes come with motorized dump valves and while I don't have any experience with them I have heard pros and cons for them.

Obviously, they are more complex and electrically operated - so any problems can be difficult to solve on the road.

Most warn against installing the switching in a place out of sight of the wet bay or dump piping. You should always be able to see the hose and drainage to insure that you're not unknowingly dumping sewage on the ground.
Old 02-13-2022, 05:53 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for that tip! That strengthens my resolve to make the installer put the switch in the storage bay which is right by the dump connection on my 22M. There are already switches for the stabilizers in there.
Old 02-13-2022, 06:03 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle5 View Post
Hi Kathleen,
I have never heard of motorized control valves, but they sound like a great idea. Please let us know the cost and how well they work.
The other thing to keep in mind is the cap that covers the dump can be a little tough to twist on & off, so a little grease there helps.
Do your closet doors both swing-open from the center? I suggested that Winnebago flip the right-hand door over to make it a left-swing door as well.
Welcome to the forum.
Eagle5
Fingers crossed. I ordered from Camping World in Davenport IA and having them do the install. They are these: https://www.campingworld.com/valterr...tem-36150.html at $175 each plus labor of course. Hoping they can get me scheduled into do it in a month or so.

I've had challenges getting the cap off on previous RV's so already bought this handled one and plan to stock up with some grease. Little things like that make such a difference, so thanks for making sure I knew that tip!

And I did see your post on swapping the doors. Brilliant! I actually have removed those completely instead and put up a curtain over the opening as I also wanted to brighten it up back there a bit (LOTS of dark Driftwood everywhere is a bit too much for me).
Old 02-13-2022, 06:07 PM   #7
RVCalypso

I prefer simplicity or the old adage keep it simple stupid (KISS), no disrespect. It seems like something else to go wrong. Good luck and safe travels with your new rig.
gurroz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 06:17 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle5 View Post
Hi Kathleen,
Welcome to the forum.
Eagle5
This is my 2nd try at replying. Learning my away around this Forum tool so hopefully this one works as I expect.

The valves I have on order are Valterra Electric Waste Valves, $175 each with Camping World plus I'll have labor cost for them to install. I thankfully learned about that grease tip in Travato FB Group, as well as the Valterra Cap with Handle that makes it much easier to get the cap off.

Your flipped door mod is brilliant! I also wanted to brighten it up from all my Driftwood darkness so took the doors and middle support brace off completely and put up a light curtain instead. It's HUGE opening without the middle brace.

Thanks much for your help!
Old 02-13-2022, 06:56 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Will be interested to see if they bolt right in or need some modification to the location it seems tight under there. This will probably be my next mod.
Old 02-13-2022, 07:44 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelm130 View Post
Will be interested to see if they bolt right in or need some modification to the location it seems tight under there. This will probably be my next mod.
Hopefully Camping World Davenport knows what they're doing. They didn't have me bring it in before ordering the valves (special order - they didn't have in stock there) but did know my RV model/year/etc. and included some cost in the estimate for extra parts and such. I'll definitely take some pics afterwards and figure out how to add here so you can see.
Old 02-14-2022, 07:49 AM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
This is my 2nd try at replying. Learning my away around this Forum tool so hopefully this one works as I expect.
Kathleen, your previous post was delayed because it needed approval by staff. All posts by new members that contain either a link, as yours did, or a photo are manually reviewed by staff.

You should have seen a notice about this policy when you submitted your post.
Old 02-14-2022, 08:40 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Dump valves

Kathleen, I put a pair of them on a fifth wheel I use to own. They really work will. Depending on your septic configuration will make the install easy or hard. Mine was difficult do to the tightness of the black fitting and old valve that had to be removed. Make sure you get good instructions on their use and I even labeled the switches. Be sure to keep your cap on the outlets just to be sure. Once you get use to them you will like them. Also check the warranty if any included. Good luck. Travato John
TravatoJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 12:32 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravatoJohn View Post
Kathleen, I put a pair of them on a fifth wheel I use to own. They really work will. Depending on your septic configuration will make the install easy or hard. Mine was difficult do to the tightness of the black fitting and old valve that had to be removed. Make sure you get good instructions on their use and I even labeled the switches. Be sure to keep your cap on the outlets just to be sure. Once you get use to them you will like them. Also check the warranty if any included. Good luck. Travato John
Thanks so much for the practical advice. Yes labels seem like key to success. Think I'll include simple "Black - dump first" and "Grey - dump last" instructions on those labels in case I convince one of my non-RVer friends/families that it's their turn to do that duty. I also ordered a Valterra twist-on valve for the end point as found that as a backup was very valuable when I had valve issue on my previous Travato. This is an area where redundancy is good!
Old 02-14-2022, 05:06 PM   #14
RVCalypso

Quote:
Thanks so much for the practical advice. Yes labels seem like key to success. Think I'll include simple "Black - dump first" and "Grey - dump last" instructions on those labels in case I convince one of my non-RVer friends/families that it's their turn to do that duty. I also ordered a Valterra twist-on valve for the end point as found that as a backup was very valuable when I had valve issue on my previous Travato. This is an area where redundancy is good!
When I first started RVing in 2000, I was taught black first, then gray. I then learned to do a short pull on the gray tank for just a few seconds to make sure all the fittings are tight. Then do black followed by gray. If you are going to have a mishap better it be gray water rather than black. Just a thought.
gurroz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2022, 08:19 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Kathleen - when it’s done can you post the part numbers and parts they used? I want to give my rv shop all the info I can to hopefully avoid any issues.
Old 02-19-2022, 11:12 AM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelm130 View Post
Kathleen - when it’s done can you post the part numbers and parts they used? I want to give my rv shop all the info I can to hopefully avoid any issues.
Will do. Hoping they can fit me in in a month or so, but maybe they'll surprise me and get me in sooner to do the install. Will definitely post here afterwards to share detail on how they do it and my thoughts on whether it works as well as final cost.
Old 02-19-2022, 01:11 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Sounds good thanks! Did you compare with the drain master system and the Barker unit? I’ve looked at all 3 and the Valterra seems to be the best option. The Drain Master seems to fail more often according to forums and reviews I’ve found. The Barker system just clips onto the current valve in place. It would be my 2nd choice.
Old 02-20-2022, 04:22 PM   #18
Winnebago Camper

Have CW install a master 12 volt switch inside to cut power to the valve, this will prevent someone accidently or on purpose opening the valves
coachmanjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2022, 11:30 AM   #19
Winnebago Owner

Kathleen did you ever get the RV in to get the valves installed?
Old 04-16-2022, 04:50 PM   #20
Winnebago Camper

Motorized waste valves

I Installed on 2017 on the waste side, love it works perfectly, by the way if the motor stops for some odd reason, you manually open them. Go for it, love love it.
Patjfrisc is offline   Reply With Quote