Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-22-2018, 05:44 AM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Minnie Winnie Seals

Hi, we're getting our choices narrowed down to the Minnie Winnie, Jayco Greyhawk/Entegra Odyssey.
As to be expected there are things that we like about the Minnie over the Greyhawk/Odyssey and the same for the Greyhawk/Odyssey over the Minnie. Just a matter of deciding which pluses and minuses of each matters the most.
One of the things that concerns me about the Minnie over the Greyhawk/Odyssey is front cap water intrusion. The Greyhawk/Odyssey has a full cap that extends back over the sidewalls where it looks like the Minnie has seams.
Has anybody had a problem with the Minnie's front seams leaking water?
Thanks!
Deciding which Coach is tough when we have it narrowed down to a couple quality Coaches.
Ret.LEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 08:24 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

No leaking issues whatsoever on my 2016 Minnie.
Old 11-28-2018, 07:15 AM   #3
Itasca Owners

Some of the 2018 Minnie Winnie's that I have looked at do have the cap extending around the corner. That seems to be a trend on newer models on several brands by Thor and Coachmen.

I did have some leaks on my Itasca Spirit and removed the corner trim. What I found was that the outer fiberglass skin on the sides extends past the frame and the front part runs up to the side skin and is screwed to the frame. There was butyl tape over the joint and they had left the plastic strip on the tape so that there was no adhesion of the butyl tape to the aluminum strip. The inevitable movement at the corner had worn through the butyl tape and since there was no adhesion to the aluminum, water could enter and run into the seam.

I cleaned off the butyl tape and re-bedded the aluminum molding with 3M 5200. 5200 is a flexible polyurethane adhesive bedding that is widely used on boats. We have had no leaking problems since then. If you ever need to remove something bedded with 5200, the trick is to heat a putty knife and run it under the molding. Or you could use a non-adhesive bedding and plan on removing the moldings and re-sealing them every few years. It is not hard to do, but most people never do it and instead try to add sealant along the edges of the moldings.

The potential problem I see with having the front cap wrap the side walls is that fiberglass is brittle and any movement will cause stress cracking at the corners over time. The wrapping caps (by any manufacturer) have not been in service long enough to prove themselves. I was surprised to see that the new 2019 Outlooks went back to the older method using the aluminum moldings around the entire front seams. I have not seen a 2019 Minnie Winnie.
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 02:17 PM   #4
Itasca Owners

I should have said: Fiberglass is brittle and does not like very sharp or tight corners which a lot of the new front caps have. It is much better if the radius is larger.
Old 12-03-2018, 06:56 AM   #5
PIC
Winnebago Owner

Purchased a 2018 Micro Minnie 2106FBS in may '18. We have travel over 15,000 miles since. Found ourselves in the SW Monsoons in July, NW rains in July, Interstate rains and wind through out, and finally a whole month of rain in WV this September. Now she sits at home in FL and dealing with the rains and humidity. All I can say is not one leak while underway or standing still. Surprisingly it maintains a reasonable amount of dryness inside during some high humidity spells. No major issues to report on this unit. There are few adjustments to be made but all in all we are very happy with this unit and Winnebago customer service. I'm sorry my brother can't say the same about his 2018 purchase of a new TT from a different manufacture
PIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 07:34 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIC View Post
Purchased a 2018 Micro Minnie 2106FBS in may '18. We have travel over 15,000 miles since. Found ourselves in the SW Monsoons in July, NW rains in July, Interstate rains and wind through out, and finally a whole month of rain in WV this September. Now she sits at home in FL and dealing with the rains and humidity. All I can say is not one leak while underway or standing still. Surprisingly it maintains a reasonable amount of dryness inside during some high humidity spells. No major issues to report on this unit. There are few adjustments to be made but all in all we are very happy with this unit and Winnebago customer service. I'm sorry my brother can't say the same about his 2018 purchase of a new TT from a different manufacture
Buy quality and get quality
Still torn between a Minnie and a Greyhawk. I do like the front cap extending over the sidewalls of the Greyhawk. BUT I like the reputation of the Minnie BUT the Greyhawk has the J-Ride which I like better than air bags BUT the Greyhawk has a true 7,500 lb tow rating which we would appreciate towing our Highlander behind us.
So many BUTS
Going to a large RV Show this Spring and hopefully there will be a Winnie and a Greyhawk there for us to check out.
Both the Minnie's and the Greyhawk's, Entegra Odyssey's have floor plans that we like........which doesn't help the decision
Old 12-03-2018, 09:05 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

As part of the looking and what actually moved me back to winnebago, I would suggest looking where folks don't normally look so that you can get a better idea of the attitude/ attention the builders pay when they are doing their thing.
One of the things, I have found is that work that looks good, is far more likely to be good. So it doesn't take a large amount of expert to see how things like wires and plumbing are planned and laid in. What it does take is a look like pulling a few drawers all the way out or pulling up tha plywood under the dinette to get a look at what they left. If you find wires that are not cut to the right length leaving a bunch of excess throw in, plumbing that runs through holes without guards or where it is pinched or rubbed, are a couple things I look for as points. Another big one is how much trash is left? The first time I used my macerator pump on the Thor we bought, it got stopped on plastic strapping left. Rather than throw it in the trash, they threw it in the holding tanks! They also left lots of wire clippings and stripped insulation right where they did the work. There was no attempt made to cut the wiring or plumbing to the correct length but simply connected the ends of a ready made wire set and left the excess flopping around in the compartments under the dinette.
Bad attitude that promotes fast work over good work, will often result in a bad RV that I don't want.
Happy shopping and good luck to you as it can certainly be a trek! But keep in mind that we do this only because we WANT to, not because we HAVE to!
V
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 11:05 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Off topic, would this work on Eternabond?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamfoxy View Post

If you ever need to remove something bedded with 5200, the trick is to heat a putty knife and run it under the molding.
We had to move a cable on the roof. I sliced through the Eternabond we used to hold the cable down. Now I have a mess of ugly Eternabond half stuck to the roof. Would a heated putty knife work for this, too?
Old 12-04-2018, 01:38 PM   #9
Itasca Owners

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgehring View Post
We had to move a cable on the roof. I sliced through the Eternabond we used to hold the cable down. Now I have a mess of ugly Eternabond half stuck to the roof. Would a heated putty knife work for this, too?
I do not know how it would work with eternabond, but heat does work on other sticky materials. I have used a heat gun (similar to a hair dryer only hotter) on other materials that I want to scrape off. You have to be careful to not to overheat things though.
Old 12-04-2018, 01:55 PM   #10
Itasca Owners

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
As part of the looking and what actually moved me back to winnebago, I would suggest looking where folks don't normally look so that you can get a better idea of the attitude/ attention the builders pay when they are doing their thing.
One of the things, I have found is that work that looks good, is far more likely to be good. So it doesn't take a large amount of expert to see how things like wires and plumbing are planned and laid in. What it does take is a look like pulling a few drawers all the way out or pulling up tha plywood under the dinette to get a look at what they left. If you find wires that are not cut to the right length leaving a bunch of excess throw in, plumbing that runs through holes without guards or where it is pinched or rubbed, are a couple things I look for as points. Another big one is how much trash is left? The first time I used my macerator pump on the Thor we bought, it got stopped on plastic strapping left. Rather than throw it in the trash, they threw it in the holding tanks! They also left lots of wire clippings and stripped insulation right where they did the work. There was no attempt made to cut the wiring or plumbing to the correct length but simply connected the ends of a ready made wire set and left the excess flopping around in the compartments under the dinette.
Bad attitude that promotes fast work over good work, will often result in a bad RV that I don't want.
Happy shopping and good luck to you as it can certainly be a trek! But keep in mind that we do this only because we WANT to, not because we HAVE to!
V
Wiring and plumbing (hose or tubing) runs are sometimes left long so that one can pull out the units they connect to for service. For example, you need to pull the furnace unit out to clean it or service the burner. You have to move the unit out several inches just to reach the plug in the harness to disconnect it. But there is no excuse for builder's debris and shoddy workmanship.
Old 12-04-2018, 03:13 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamfoxy View Post
I do not know how it would work with eternabond, but heat does work on other sticky materials. I have used a heat gun (similar to a hair dryer only hotter) on other materials that I want to scrape off. You have to be careful to not to overheat things though.
Thanks!
Old 12-04-2018, 08:38 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

I purchased a 2017 Minnie Winnie and there are over 26 warranty issues with it. Most of the issues are serious. Like water leaks everywhere. I have contacted Winnebago and their responses have not fixed anything for me. I am now having to end my trip and go back North.
JamieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 04:53 AM   #13
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieD View Post
I purchased a 2017 Minnie Winnie and there are over 26 warranty issues with it. Most of the issues are serious. Like water leaks everywhere. I have contacted Winnebago and their responses have not fixed anything for me. I am now having to end my trip and go back North.
Is your dealer that you bought from helping you? Which dealer did you buy from?

Tags
seal