Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-13-2022, 07:46 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Minnie Winnie 31H-Winterizing?

I have a 2020 Minnie Winnie 31H (new to us). Wondering if someone knows if there is an Antifreeze Siphon? Thanks
Smitky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2022, 09:37 PM   #2
Site Team

Hi Smitky,
In reviewing your Owner's Manual, on page 7-12 there does not seem to be a description for an antifreeze siphoning pick-up. As for my 22M, I use the blow-out method to winterize my Minnie Winnie, as I have heard it is difficult to get the taste of the pink stuff out of your water lines.
Winterizing a 22M using the blow-out method
Welcome to the forum.
Eagle5
Old 10-14-2022, 03:20 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

The antifreeze siphon hose would be attached to the water pump if you have one. If not they are easy to add. I looked quickly at the owners manual eagle gave you and it goes into alot of detal about winterizing.

I my self am a antifreeze user and have always been. I just feel more comfortable using it than blowing out the lines. A lot would depend on where you live as to the method.

Anyway good luck
be happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2022, 06:46 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Thanks

Our old RV had the siphon and I am not seeing one with the pump, but wanted to double check. I think I will have to use the blow out method this year and consider adding a siphon. I live in Duluth, MN and it gets COLD!!! Thanks for your insight and suggestions.
Old 10-14-2022, 08:39 AM   #5
Site Team

My suggestion is to move to somewhere warn during the winter months. I hope this is helpful to you on so many levels. Honest.
Old 10-14-2022, 10:04 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Haha
Old 10-14-2022, 02:13 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

I find many of the books are vague and don't get down to specific items like this, so I use this super handy "parts catalog" to look for things like drains and suction tubes:
https://catalog3d.winnebagoind.com/menu/Parts.htm

Sorting down to water and fresh water, I see no suction line! I do spot a drain right at the pump, though!

NOTE? See that little filter right next to the pump? I feel better about it draining fully if I turn it up rather than down where it seems water is more likely to stand in it to freeze?

Click image for larger version

Name:	pump.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	184430

It lets you look for things without having to get out of the chair and crawl under!
Looking for drains is easier from my chair?
But I did find this in the manual and may be a place to start?
Click this snip to get a better view.

Click image for larger version

Name:	drain.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	122.2 KB
ID:	184431
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2022, 08:37 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Thanks Richard

I ended up putting n an antifreeze siphon connector. I feel better having the antifreeze up in the great north
Old 10-14-2022, 09:12 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitky View Post
I ended up putting n an antifreeze siphon connector. I feel better having the antifreeze up in the great north
I'm with you on that. I have been burned a few times in letting things freeze in houses and never want to pay that price again!

I actually find blowing it out after running pink makes me sleep better!
Really, right now is when I begin to think I might be better for not having an RV for a while!!

Don't forget the traps!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022, 04:50 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitky View Post
I do the same, drain and then add antifreeze. Don’t forget your city fill connection. There is a small button you push and the antifreeze will spray out.
mduff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2022, 08:43 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Winterizing

I use the Blow out and antifreeze method for my 22M here in the Northeast.
Here is the checklist I use to winterize the RV water system;

Blow out the system first then run 1 gallon of antifreeze through the water lines.

Sequence for Blowing out the system before adding anti-freeze;

1. Drain the potable water tank then close the valve.
2. Turn on the water pump and run all the hot and cold faucets (sinks and shower) and flush the toilet to remove as much water as possible.
3. Open the low point water valves under the dinette seat to the drain position than close once water is no longer draining.
4. Close the Hot Water Bypass Valve by turning valve to the right till handle is parallel with the floor to prevent antifreeze from filling the hot water tank.
5. Open the hot water heater pressure valve and remove the anode to drain the tank.
6. Flush the hot water tank with warm water. Replace the anode Suburban #232768 and use new teflon tape on the anode threads using 1 &1/16” socket wait till finished blowing out before re-installing.
7. Connect the air pressure blow out adapter to the city water connection after
removing the city water screen on the inlet of the RV.
8. Set the compressor to 30PSI and connect the air hose to the blow out adapter.
9. Open the Hot Water Bypass Valve by turning handle to the left and pointing up and blow out the water from the hot water heater until no more water is coming out. Not necessary to vacuum out remaining water since this method blows the water out. Close the Hot Water Bypass Valve, install the new anode and check the pressure relief valve is closed.
10. Open each hot and cold faucet individually in the RV (sinks and shower) until no water is coming out. Flush the toilet till dry.
11. Close the air pressure adapter valve and disconnect it from the RV.

Sequence for using anti-freeze after blowing out the excess water.

1. Hook up hand made syphon hose to water pump inlet.
2. Remove water pump filter and clean screen with warm water using strong water spray in sink (screen does not come out of filter) then reattach filter.
3.Pump has been run dry so needs to be primed. Attach the siphon hose and take a funnel and attach it to the syphon hose. Turn on the water pump and pour anti-freeze in the hose until pump is fully primed. Remove funnel and place hose in a gallon container of anti-freeze.
4.Run all the hot and cold faucets (sinks and shower) and flush the toilet till you get a stream of pink fluid.
5. Leave some RV antifreeze in the toilet bowl to keep the valve lubed.
6. Open the hot and cold low point water valves under the dinette seat to the drain position momentarily to winterize the valves.
7. Pour a little bit of anti-freeze down each sink drain.
8. Dump Black and Grey tanks to remove the residual water.
9. Depressurize City Water by pushing pin in center releasing pink water.

How to De-Winterize Your RV

To drain the antifreeze, fill your fresh tank with potable water. Once you have fresh water in your tank, turn on your water pump. Then, you’ll want to open all hot and cold faucets in your RV and watch for the water to run clear. Go through, one water source at a time (Kitchen, Bath, Shower, Toilet), turning them off when there’s no more antifreeze color in the water and it runs clear.

Once this is done, turn your hot water by-pass valve left till handle is pointing up in the open position allowing water to fill your hot water heater.

Sanitize and flush your tank using chlorine. Pour 3/4 cup of bleach into freshwater hose with funnel then attach hose to the water tank fill port making sure all drains and faucets are closed before pouring. Turn on your water pump and open the hot and cold faucets, letting water run until you can detect a chlorine smell.

Let your water system stand and wait at least four hours before draining and flushing the system. Drain and refill the tank with fresh water, open the faucets (don’t forget the hot water too!) and let the water run until there is no chlorine smell.
Boale is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winter